Darkwalker Feat and Feats in general...?

past caring

I'm a new(ish) player with limited playing time and in that time I've pretty much settled on Custom Mode as my preferred playing style, so apologies if I'm asking something obvious.....

1. I understand that Feats are only available when playing one of the standard game modes (Pilgrim, Voyager, Stalker etc) and as I'm playing Custom I've not yet acquired any. No worries - if I want to acquire Feats then I can do so by playing one of those standard game modes. My understanding is that once acquired a Feat persists through any subsequent game - including subsequent Custom games - is that correct?

2. If so, am I also correct in thinking that unlike the other Feats, the Darkwalker is only something that I can acquire up to 12th November, when the event ends? So if I want it, I better get a wiggle on and participate in the event (a first for me)?

3. The Feat description indicates I will experience less fatigue at night but more by day. Assuming that what I've said above is right and the Feat will persist through all subsequent games, I'm struggling to see the benefit - unless I radically change my playing style. Or am I missing something?

32 minutes ago, past caring said:

My understanding is that once acquired a Feat persists through any subsequent game - including subsequent Custom games - is that correct?

Yes, after you've unlocked a feat we get to activate it for substantial runs.  If I remember correctly the Custom Sandbox allows for up to 5 active feats.

the Darkwalker is only something that I can acquire up to 12th November, when the event ends? So if I want it, I better get a wiggle on and participate in the event (a first for me)?

Yes.  This feat appears to be attached to the badge... which in turn I believe will only be available for the duration of the event.

The Feat description indicates I will experience less fatigue at night but more by day. Assuming that what I've said above is right and the Feat will persist through all subsequent games, I'm struggling to see the benefit - unless I radically change my playing style. Or am I missing something?

[Addendum] So... it can be potentially activated for each new game you start, but feats are not automatically "on at all times" after unlocking them.  Instead, at the beginning of each game we start we can choose which feats to use.  So to clarify, yes the feats themselves persist... but which ones you activate are chosen at the beginning of the run, and only the effects of the feats you've chosen are applied to that run. [Addendum]

The main benefit of the Darkwalker feat is for those folks who like to travel at night... but it also could come in handy for those who setup a Custom Game using the new option included with the event: Endless Night.  Personally, I think the Darkwalker Feat is probably most useful if it's paired with an Endless Night custom run.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
For me, I don't use feats... I just like to collect the badges. :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Ah, OK - I forgot about the fact that you can select whether to use a particular Feat after it's acquired (never having acquired any, I'm not familiar with the mechanics) and had assumed that once I had it I was stuck with it. If I can turn it off for a particular run then maybe it's worth having after all......

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a sidetrack perhaps but speaking of feats, did someone else also lose their earned feats with the Darkwalker update? I started a new survival game recently and all feat progress was gone and reset except the two I used in the only playthrough that was active when downloading Darkwalker. Will report the bug, just curious whether anyone else experienced this.  

Edited by manolitode

It slipped my mind that Badges cannot be obtained in Custom mode. Dammit :D 

I might just fire up a Voyager game then :D

PEdit: Are we sure badges progress doesnt go up during custom mode? Because I started playing the game after the "straight to heart" feat was added, and I already have 12% progress on it, but I havent really played a game besides a Custom gamemode. I tailored my Voyagerish experience but it was always thru custom mode.

Edited by Mroz4k

4 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Edit: Are we sure badges progress doesnt go up during custom mode?

Yes, any feat progression that has ever happened during a custom run is likely a bug.  Feats have only ever been meant to be earned while playing in one of the standard modes. 

"Progress in a Custom Survival Mode does not grant Feat progress, but already unlocked Feats can be used in Custom worlds." 

On 6/4/2020 at 10:24 PM, ManicManiac said:

Also to better answer the question, we can check the change logs and look for the update that introduced Custom Survival Mode.  To my knowledge, from it's inception... Custom Mode has never allowed feat progression by design.

However.. if we read through the change logs we find a patch between the inception of custom mode and a bug fix pertaining to feat progression.

Edited by ManicManiac

4 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Yes, any feat progression that has ever happened during a custom run is likely a bug.  Feats have only ever been meant to be earned while playing in one of the standard modes. 

I know that is what it used to be back when Custom was added, but that could have changed over the time. After all, there really is not that much difference you can do between playing on a Pilgrim difficulty which counts, and on creating an easy Custom mode.

I am currently testing this, we will know in just a bit.

@Mroz4k

All I'm simply saying is that no such intention has ever come from Hinterland about it.
So far, there has never been a stated intention to be able to progress feats in a custom run.  Hence, the assumption that any feat progression that has ever happened during a custom run is likely a bug.  In that case, if you are able to progress feats during your custom run... it ought be reported to Hinterland so they can fix it.

Note that if you are using the new Darkwalker feat and you use a stim at night, your stamina will only drop by 50% (instead of automatically straight to 0%) when the stim expires. I assume this also works with Energy Drinks, but I didn't test one to confirm. Potentially useful if you're playing Endless Night or something.

Note also that feat progression during Wintermute definitely counts, and I believe even your gameplay during Challenge modes(?) counts, but definitely not Custom yet. Hinterland should really fix the Custom/feat progression thing, IMO. It doesn't make a lot of sense to have to grind Feats out on like Pilgrim, and then switch to Custom.

Edited by wilky