Mountain Lion / Cougar mechanics are mostly in the game with the Darkwalker AI.

Roarke

The "Escape the Darkwalker" event is brilliant and atmospheric.

Most of the AI for the Darkwalker itself can be repurposed to implement a Cougar that, once encountered in the wild, will begin stalking the Survivor in a sandbox environment.

Obviously the ambience/music/soundcues would be drastically different. And there are not glyphs to ward off a Cougar. But these creatures and be discouraged to continue stalking a hiker in real life if the hiker spots them at a distance (lets say easily 50+ meters) and keep glaring at them. Loudly, angrily, yelling at them from that distance will make them realize that they've been made/spotted and they scurry off.

Now, yelling angrily would imho scare off rabbits and deer just like a gunshot would. But - unlike a gunshot, yelling would attract wolves.

In real life loudly yelling all the time informs bears that you're around and if they bump into you on a trail they're less likely to freak and out and attack you in a panic. This is not how black bears function, by design, in TLD though.

-

As it's implemented with this event, the Darkwalker has all AI aspects to implement this.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Roarke said:

In real life loudly yelling all the time informs bears that you're around and if they bump into you on a trail they're less likely to freak and out and attack you in a panic. This is not how black bears function, by design, in TLD though.

Part of the lore of the game is that whatever cut power to everything all at once also has affected animals.  Even more so on clear nights when the borealis can be seen, animals freak out even more so.

I feel the same, I think HL is testing their AI with Darkwalker, they are probably gathering and analyzing player reaction, movement, behavior big data. As a person who also has been suggested big cat predator and polar bear, I wish this becomes true in the future. 

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't mind a mountain lion, and the behavior I would suggest is similar to the weeping angels in doctor who.  They stalk you silently with no warning, and while your back is turned they advance slightly faster than your unencumbered walk speed.  If they get close enough (wolf attack distance) without you noticing, they attack from behind.  This initiates a penalized struggle, in which you have only your bare hands.

If you happen to see one however, you can turn and face them.  As long as you're looking at them, they freeze in place.  This allows you to back away, and if you get far enough without looking, they disengage.  But once you first notice them, if you turn away to see where you're heading, they sprint towards you at breakneck speed.  When you turn back to face them, they freeze in their new position.

If you charge a mountain lion, there is a strong chance they will flee.  But if the dice don't roll in your favor, you'll face a struggle similar to a regular wolf struggle.  You pick your weapon, etc.  Aiming a weapon causes the mountain lion to flee 100% of the time.

Basically they're an ambush predator.  If they get the drop on you, you're effed.  But if you're vigilant, you can keep them at bay with minimal effort.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, oplli said:

@ajb1978 i think it should be more complicated than that. it will just be ankwark if you can just look at the cougar to stop him.

I mean you can just walk away from wolves, so it's a similar concept.  Just that if you don't notice them first, they can be on you before you have  chance to react.  If you do spot them first, you can just walk away from them too.  With the added requirement that you have to periodically look back to remind them that you know they're there.  Otherwise they'll eventually go into a silent attack charge from behind.