My First Go at Escape the Darkwalker (and thoughts about it)

PurpleWolf13

So this event came out a few days ago, but I wanted to wait until Halloween to play it. I jumped onto it around 12 am today (it was the perfect time as it was officially the 31st and was late at night)

Began in Desolation Point and just the Darkwalker Arrival Countdown was terrifying me. That first fifteen minutes gave me quite a bit of feeling apprehensive and scared already at what was to come. 

Passed through the mine and Crumbling Highway and into Coastal Highway. That's when the Darkwalker officially arrived. I managed to find the Event Camp at Jackrabbit Island and found myself a Diary Page and some Rabbitskin Mittens. 

Placed a Lure spray paint marking near the Event Camp and high-tailed the frick away from there.

Going into my first try at this event, I had this "grand" plan where I would start in Desolation Point, go to Coastal Highway, go to Mystery Lake and then Mountain Town. I thought I knew where the exits where and believed I'd get to them in time.

Welp, I totally ended up at the Rockfall as I had forgotten that the way to Mystery Lake in that region was to go up the incline to get to the elevated area that takes you to the transition zone that takes you to Mystery Lake.

At this point, I had exhausted my option with the Dispel Fog and the toxic fog was building up again so I made myself a campfire, put down a Ward spray paint marking and gorged myself on condensed milk, peanut butter and orange and grape soda. 

I ended up succumbing to the toxic fog, which I didn't mind because I didn't want the Darkwalker to find me and kill me.

Got the Umbra Badge and unlocked the Endless Night option in the Custom mode of The Long Dark, so 👍:)

I have a question concerning the Deadly Dreamer badge, by the way. If you have gotten it or know for sure, what do you unlock with getting the badge? I want to know, so I can decide if I want to attempt to go after it. 

I will give it another go, though. So I can do better with what I have learned. And maybe, just maybe, die this time by the Darkwalker itself.

The Darkwalker never got close enough to me where the Anxiety and Fear afflictions happened to me. But the suspense and apprehension I felt as I heard the spooky sounds and not knowing where this invisible entity was and not knowing if I was about to be devoured soon by it.

I love the type of horror where you're running from something where there's little you can do to defend yourself, or/and you can only hide from whatever is chasing you.

My favorite horror series is Outlast and this year I was planning on replaying both games in October but unfortunately this month had been the toughest month for me this year mentally and I had other things on my plate, so unfortunately I was unable to do that.

Playing this Long Dark Halloween event gave me that feeling of playing a horror game at Halloween time, so I enjoyed it. 

Sad that I didn't get to experience 4 Days of Night and try some pumpkin pie in-game, but I liked what Hinterland did this year despite some people complaining about the event being out of place because The Long Dark is not a survival horror game, they could have played Dead by Daylight instead or it's too easy for pro players at the game.

Personally addressing the criticisms, The Long Dark IS a survival game and given that they're having a event taking place during Halloween time, makes total sense why it has the feeling of a survival horror game.

As for the Dead by Daylight one with being chased by a malevolent entity, that concept isn't honestly too foreign when it comes to The Long Dark. Typically in the game, you're stalked by wolves and bears. In Episode Two of Wintermute and in The Hunted Challenges, the Old Bear himself is basically an evil spirit hunting you down. Just in the physical form of an animal that thankfully can't get into indoor places.

It being not hard enough for the people who are adept at the game (more specifically moving through the regions smoothly and quickly)?

Well, some people will find the Challenge easy,  and others will find it hard. I feel that's just how it is with something, like the Interloper Mode for example. There's players who find it a breeze and others a massive pain, for various reasons. In my opinion, it isn't a super strong point of criticism for this event. 

Apologies for my ramble there on the criticisms, I do understand and respect that some players don't like the event and have the right to share what they don't care for about it. Just wanted to share my thoughts on the main criticism I have seen for Escape the Darkwalker.

Anyways thanks for giving this a read, and if you have any tips and tricks you'd like to share, I would like to know them! 💜

Edited by PurpleWolf13
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Gotta agree, the atmosphere and sense of urgency combine to form a creepy AF vibe...I was RELIEVED to just get mauled by a bear in my second play through (thanks, ‘pleasant’ valley bears😁). The bear didn’t kill me, but as the darkwalker closed in I fired the 8 rounds I’d found for the rifle then jumped off a cliff, which I thought was a pretty good horror movie death.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TiffTastic said:

Gotta agree, the atmosphere and sense of urgency combine to form a creepy AF vibe...I was RELIEVED to just get mauled by a bear in my second play through (thanks, ‘pleasant’ valley bears😁). The bear didn’t kill me, but as the darkwalker closed in I fired the 8 rounds I’d found for the rifle then jumped off a cliff, which I thought was a pretty good horror movie death.

Ha! That's pleasant for ya!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

Well done, succumbing to the fog seems a more merciful death... you made a valiant run.
My first ended when I got lost out on the Muskege.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Yeah the fog can really suck, especially on rough terrain where you can't see anything within a 1-2 meter radius and you are basically helpless

• Like 1