keybinding

alunasmoon

ok i dont know if its just me of if im doing something wrong but im so done with everytime an update or anything comes out i have to rebind all my keys its very annoying especially when you dont know when it will happen like today i played no issue they had come out with the new patch but then i get on later and all my keys wont work ... again idk if this is a me problem or everyone has it but its so annoying.

• Upvote 3

Dear @Admin @Support,

I'm trying to find information about what has been changed in the recent update to solve my issue of the game reverting back to default keybindings on each start. I was unsuccessful to locate the changelogs. The forum topic "The Long Dark Technical FAQ"

has a dead-link under "Find the most-recent Change Lists" to https://hinterlandgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/sections/360002707811-News-and-Updates.

Could you please explain how are you storing the keybindings both in Windows and Linux, and what has been changed this patch? I run the game with Steam Proton and had no issues with keybindings before the event came out.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard that tech support advised going to the TheLongDarkNoSync folder and deleting all the configuration files there.  

This is just my experience, YMMV.

The named folder contained a host of files in the form of "usercfg.xxxxx" where the xxxxx is the build number.  For instance, there should be a "usercfg.68231" file.  I discovered that I had TWO such files with different date stamps.  The older one was dated October 17, 2020 and the newer one was dated more closely to when I actually played (i.e. November 18, 2020) .  Technically on the PC there should not be two usercfg.68231 in the same folder with different date stamps but there were. 

I renamed the newer file to xusercfg.68231 and then played the game.  My keybinds held and consistently held. Swapping the newer and older file, the keybinds got reset to default.  

I was going to put things back the other way but when I tried to rename the older "_xusercfg.68231" to usercfg.68231 my PC said that there was already a file there. I had already renamed the newer file so that could not be in the way.  I looked at the directory and there was a "usercfg.68231" already there. 

I suspect that something went wrong when ETDW event ended resulting in a new usercfg.68231 file which got in the way of the "correct" one. 

So either delete all the usercfg.xxxxx in the TheLongDarkNoSync folder or look for a duplicate usercfg.68231 and rename to newer one to something else.  For me there were several usercfg files with the date October 17, 2020 and the same time, so from my experience those are the okay one. Then try booting up the game.  I suggest booting the game from scratch so there is nothing left of that possibly troublesome usercfg file still in the game. 

Good luck.

• Upvote 1

On 11/19/2020 at 3:10 AM, UTC-10 said:

I heard that tech support advised going to the TheLongDarkNoSync folder and deleting all the configuration files there.  

This is just my experience, YMMV.

The named folder contained a host of files in the form of "usercfg.xxxxx" where the xxxxx is the build number.  For instance, there should be a "usercfg.68231" file.  I discovered that I had TWO such files with different date stamps.  The older one was dated October 17, 2020 and the newer one was dated more closely to when I actually played (i.e. November 18, 2020) .  Technically on the PC there should not be two usercfg.68231 in the same folder with different date stamps but there were. 

I renamed the newer file to xusercfg.68231 and then played the game.  My keybinds held and consistently held. Swapping the newer and older file, the keybinds got reset to default.  

I was going to put things back the other way but when I tried to rename the older "_xusercfg.68231" to usercfg.68231 my PC said that there was already a file there. I had already renamed the newer file so that could not be in the way.  I looked at the directory and there was a "usercfg.68231" already there. 

I suspect that something went wrong when ETDW event ended resulting in a new usercfg.68231 file which got in the way of the "correct" one. 

So either delete all the usercfg.xxxxx in the TheLongDarkNoSync folder or look for a duplicate usercfg.68231 and rename to newer one to something else.  For me there were several usercfg files with the date October 17, 2020 and the same time, so from my experience those are the okay one. Then try booting up the game.  I suggest booting the game from scratch so there is nothing left of that possibly troublesome usercfg file still in the game. 

Good luck.

Thank you, but that doesn't help. It only works for a short time and in the following thread there are more ppl struggling:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/4/3001046778355978080/

The noSync-directory will be created after some time again. There is no information, why it is being created and why it takes over the controls with its initial key bindings. I am not allowing the game to have internet access - only steam is allowed for updating games. This worked the whole time for all of my games on Steam. Why should others blindly troubleshoot, if there are developers directly at the source and can identify everything? And why we need to wait until december update for a fix. Just for information: I restarted the game and tested these usercfg files (by deleting them ) around 200 times. So actually I got used to change three keys every time I start playing TLD again.

• Upvote 1