ESCAPE THE DARKWALKER Feedback and Discussion

admittedly, after the summer event i was skeptical, but ...hinterland, you did everything right with the darkwalker event! thanks, i am reconciled again with one of my favorite games. escaping the darkwalker for as long as possible while finding the green fires and enough good equipment to keep on running was exciting, intense and absolutely atmospheric. i assume that the mechanic is only meant for this event, but maybe you could consider to take over a darkwalker-mode into the core game?! maybe  in interloper-mode, as a random appearance during the aurora?! playing the event was really fun, thanks for that! and thanks also that the announcement in the apron went so much better this time. like i said, you did everything right here. thumbs up!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just made it to minute 43, got trapped in the dam.   So, I was scared physically sick.  I left the game 20 minutes ago and i still want to cry. And above all, I really, really want my mommy!

Use this thread for feedback and discussion about The Long Dark  ESCAPE THE DARKWALKER Halloween Event for 2020. Thanks!

Welp, I'm getting multicolored "tv snow" that covers the entire screen every time I boot up the game. I've been really looking forward to this event and would love to be able to play. Just tried twice

Posted Images

3 hours ago, stratvox said:

Currently after getting the update I don't even make it to the disclaimer... the game just sits there. I'm using the latest Glorious Eggroll to play it because the ones that ship via steam don't work.

Also, before the latest update it would load without any textures unless I used the -force-glcore parameter on the command line

The disclaimer one: try deleting/renaming the intro_cards.mp4 in  ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/TheLongDark/tld_Data/StreamingAssets/Video/Windows/

The other one sounds like a graphics driver issue, I'm able to run the game on a budget ryzen+radeon build and bit outdated *buntu.

Have you tried it with the recent patch?

Winter's Embrace was awesome... Because it was a longer term thing that I could play on my very limited free time.

But the way things seem right now, I'm not sure I'll be able to complete this challenge because my time is limited and the challenge is shorter. Any chance we could make it last longer?

36 minutes ago, Ape88 said:

Winter's Embrace was awesome... Because it was a longer term thing that I could play on my very limited free time.

But the way things seem right now, I'm not sure I'll be able to complete this challenge because my time is limited and the challenge is shorter. Any chance we could make it last longer?

i make a turorial play you can complete it very easy in 2H11M with 10/10 pages. in this run i do not use a single glyph so with glyphs it is very very easy. and this should be done quicker then winters embrace :)

part 1 is 6 pages in 1H:11M playtime

part 2 for 10 pages in 2H11M

Finally had the time for another try to get both batches. I started in DP, like a lot of people adviced, then to CH, PV and on to ML. The Darkwalker almost got me as I left the Carter Dam. He actually cornered me in the fenced area. I still do not know how I was able to escape him, but I did. With about 5% health I literally stumbled to the green fire in ML, where I was able to sleep an hour. Then I've put a lure gluph there. Next stop was the tunnel to FM, here I've sprayed ward and slept 3 hour. From there on it was almost a walk in the park to the 6th fire in BR. Once again, the sounds are really awesome. And I really have to say that I have enjoyed it a bit more than 4don. I was actually able to see far better where I was going because it was not so dark as in 4don.

image.thumb.png.07f86516ce9d64f16d9785dc39e3a20f.png

Edited by atomic
completed a sentence

'sup.

I'm a longtime player of TLD.  Few hundred hours logged, all of which I have -thoroughly- enjoyed.  Let me start by stating my profuse gratitude that this game even exists, and much moreso that y'all keep on putting out new content for it.  I've never actually tried to talk to a game dev studio before, but I wanted to put in my two cents because I would be delighted if, after the 12th, this game mode remains as an option to choose.  It feels like an absolute shame to have put in the work to create just for it to get locked away later, too.  Pretty please?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Although I am not fan of beeing jumpscared and horror movies, I enjoyed this event. It is intense, but not jumpscaring. I found the yell when Astrid sprained her ankle more jumpscaring than appearance of this green stomper.

Plus I think it really fits in the game. You know, the character is long time alone. I liked when the bear could be heard on spot you down him for long time. 

Can we get it as challenge? Or maybe... the cabin fever irritates people. What about replace it with this for one night? You know, you could go to sleep even when caobin fever kicks in, but in the night you would be awaken by anxiety, maybe fear and you would have to run to escape it. So the cabin fever could really kill your character. But in this case crafting inside should be not counted into the cabin fever time.

Truly, this event is great. It keeps you on edge and your blood pumping. Being stalked of a invisible, malevolent entity that wants to eat your soul, the fog that slowly clouds you vision and keeps you on the move, the noises it makes when it's close by or far away. It's really good. I feel that this event should be implemented into the actual game, but maybe we can only earn the badges during Halloween, so that we can keep this event interesting for players.

Update: I have failed in my second run I’ve founded 7 pages of 10 but died in ravine due to falling from cliff so I gave up cuz I’ve already founded 6 off 10 pages and earned 2 of bagdes ı didnt thought this event much that hard I hope they will bring  something more intresting on next hallowen 

Edited by Dascomb
1 hour ago, Dascomb said:

Update: I have failed in my second run I’ve founded 7 pages of 10 but died in ravine due to falling from cliff so I gave up cuz I’ve already founded 6 off 10 pages and earned 2 of bagdes ı didnt thought this event much that hard I hope they will bring  something more intresting on next hallowen 

That is fair enough, you didn't find it interesting. But you gotta admit, it has a great idea behind it

Also, I also decided to end myself so i could try again  by burning myself after I got 6/10 pages. So yeah, that was cool.

So earlier today I got 7/10 pages before I got killed and was fully expecting the badge notification when I picked up number 6 but nothing popped up on screen.  I continued to play until I found my 7th diary page and finally was killed before I could make it to the next map.  Still didn't get a badge?  I'm a little peeved about the whole thing right now.  
has this happened to anybody else?  

17 hours ago, NovaliumYT said:

That is fair enough, you didn't find it interesting. But you gotta admit, it has a great idea behind it

Also, I also decided to end myself so i could try again  by burning myself after I got 6/10 pages. So yeah, that was cool.

I founded event interesting but I think  it can be more interesting 

Long time I didn't play TLD, even missed Winter's Embrace. Logged back in for this Darkwalker thing, and had a lot of fun. Started in Broken railroad with no previous reading of the event, learnt the mechanics the hard way but didn't die. The Ravine was a bit tricky too, very spooky indeed! Was surprised to meet wolves in Coastal Highway for the first time. I'm at 5 pages in my first attempt, but getting fires of PV and then TM should be that hard as they are well know maps to me.

4DON was 'meh' to me, but this one has been a lot of fun, thanks and congrats @hinterland!

A little time passed and I thought about the experience.

I don't have much to say in order to make a separate topic for the forum. But there is still something to say.

I'm used to a slow style of play. I need a lot of time to explore the area, I need to collect all my things. I need time to see if there's any danger from afar. But this event makes me run. Don't think, don't look. I don't visit many places for a long time because I don't need to visit them anymore. I wear a lot of things so that I have everything I need to survive. But this event made me return to forgotten places. Run with a minimum of things ahead.  It reminds me of those moments when I ran out of matches and had to follow them from the mysterious lake to the desolation zone. It reminded me of the time when I lost my last pair of trousers and had to run around without them and look for them. It reminded me of the time when I was looking for a bunker on a mysterious lake in a Blizzard and I had no choice but to hope to find it, because I had nowhere else to go and it was my longest way to survive. It would be a pity to lose it. But I found it. It was a miracle. 

I want to say that this event brought back to me the action that I had forgotten. Thanks.

• Upvote 2

I really liked this event, in my opinion best event challenge so far.

Need to be always in move, avoid temptation to "check another box" is something different from current game modes. And that climate of incoming danger, built up by horror sounds. I really love it. :)

It would be great to have a chance to return to it in some form as regular challenge.

On 10/30/2020 at 1:34 PM, Minya said:

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy that you don't have to suffer from being stalked by other things as well, it was just scary as shit when that deer came running straight at me, out of the dense, green fog XD

Oh yes there are wolves and Even beats. I ran straight to a bear without Even noticing what was happening. Luckily i got away. But you should Be aware of The other threats. Thats also The reason why are there guns in this gamemode.

Played this a few times now. I like the concept, but the fog is just too darn dense for me. Most of the time you're just looking at a completely green screen. If you lose orientation in the fog, finding the transition zones is almost impossible. Love that we get to try new things, just not a fan of this one.

1 minute ago, frostyblizzard said:

Played this a few times now. I like the concept, but the fog is just too darn dense for me. Most of the time you're just looking at a completely green screen. If you lose orientation in the fog, finding the transition zones is almost impossible. Love that we get to try new things, just not a fan of this one.

just curious if you ever got around to using that 1 time dispel all fog glyph?  I did when I got to FM and that so dramatically changed the view, didn't last nearly long enough though.

Yeah no, I'd have preferred a month long 4 Days of Night event rather than this. I think I mentioned last year I have trouble with flashing lights, well the flares flash and the constant night with no moon is sucky. I can barely traverse the areas I know well.

This event is such a delight. It used the game mechanics to add a completly new gameplay with so little new. I've always thought TLD would be an amazing horror experience if some creepyness was added, damn I was right. The atmosphere was simply brilliant and terrifying. I would gladly see this implemented as a permanent challenge. This game was already good, but everytime we hear from you it becomes even better in some unexpected aspect. Really well done, Hinterland.

This was by far the best Halloween event. 4DON was mindnumblingly boring. Darkwalker actually has some tension and creepiness. Difficulty varies though. You can cross several regions at the beginning without being near the Darkwalker, only to be cornered in a cave or some other narrow passage (like the hydro dam courtyard). But when it works it's great. I had some tense moments where I had to jump down ledges to evade it.

This event looks fantastic.

Sadly I only noticed it today, and now won't ever get to play it or unlock endless night option.

I really don't think options for the custom game mode should be locked behind one time events, and hope I atleast will get the option to unlock it next year.