ESCAPE THE DARKWALKER Feedback and Discussion

Admin

Although I am not fan of beeing jumpscared and horror movies, I enjoyed this event. It is intense, but not jumpscaring. I found the yell when Astrid sprained her ankle more jumpscaring than appearance of this green stomper.

Plus I think it really fits in the game. You know, the character is long time alone. I liked when the bear could be heard on spot you down him for long time. 

Can we get it as challenge? Or maybe... the cabin fever irritates people. What about replace it with this for one night? You know, you could go to sleep even when caobin fever kicks in, but in the night you would be awaken by anxiety, maybe fear and you would have to run to escape it. So the cabin fever could really kill your character. But in this case crafting inside should be not counted into the cabin fever time.

Truly, this event is great. It keeps you on edge and your blood pumping. Being stalked of a invisible, malevolent entity that wants to eat your soul, the fog that slowly clouds you vision and keeps you on the move, the noises it makes when it's close by or far away. It's really good. I feel that this event should be implemented into the actual game, but maybe we can only earn the badges during Halloween, so that we can keep this event interesting for players.

Update: I have failed in my second run I’ve founded 7 pages of 10 but died in ravine due to falling from cliff so I gave up cuz I’ve already founded 6 off 10 pages and earned 2 of bagdes ı didnt thought this event much that hard I hope they will bring  something more intresting on next hallowen 

Edited by Dascomb

1 hour ago, Dascomb said:

Update: I have failed in my second run I’ve founded 7 pages of 10 but died in ravine due to falling from cliff so I gave up cuz I’ve already founded 6 off 10 pages and earned 2 of bagdes ı didnt thought this event much that hard I hope they will bring  something more intresting on next hallowen 

That is fair enough, you didn't find it interesting. But you gotta admit, it has a great idea behind it

Also, I also decided to end myself so i could try again  by burning myself after I got 6/10 pages. So yeah, that was cool.

So earlier today I got 7/10 pages before I got killed and was fully expecting the badge notification when I picked up number 6 but nothing popped up on screen.  I continued to play until I found my 7th diary page and finally was killed before I could make it to the next map.  Still didn't get a badge?  I'm a little peeved about the whole thing right now.  
has this happened to anybody else?  

17 hours ago, NovaliumYT said:

That is fair enough, you didn't find it interesting. But you gotta admit, it has a great idea behind it

Also, I also decided to end myself so i could try again  by burning myself after I got 6/10 pages. So yeah, that was cool.

I founded event interesting but I think  it can be more interesting 

Long time I didn't play TLD, even missed Winter's Embrace. Logged back in for this Darkwalker thing, and had a lot of fun. Started in Broken railroad with no previous reading of the event, learnt the mechanics the hard way but didn't die. The Ravine was a bit tricky too, very spooky indeed! Was surprised to meet wolves in Coastal Highway for the first time. I'm at 5 pages in my first attempt, but getting fires of PV and then TM should be that hard as they are well know maps to me.

4DON was 'meh' to me, but this one has been a lot of fun, thanks and congrats @hinterland!

A little time passed and I thought about the experience.

I don't have much to say in order to make a separate topic for the forum. But there is still something to say.

I'm used to a slow style of play. I need a lot of time to explore the area, I need to collect all my things. I need time to see if there's any danger from afar. But this event makes me run. Don't think, don't look. I don't visit many places for a long time because I don't need to visit them anymore. I wear a lot of things so that I have everything I need to survive. But this event made me return to forgotten places. Run with a minimum of things ahead.  It reminds me of those moments when I ran out of matches and had to follow them from the mysterious lake to the desolation zone. It reminded me of the time when I lost my last pair of trousers and had to run around without them and look for them. It reminded me of the time when I was looking for a bunker on a mysterious lake in a Blizzard and I had no choice but to hope to find it, because I had nowhere else to go and it was my longest way to survive. It would be a pity to lose it. But I found it. It was a miracle. 

I want to say that this event brought back to me the action that I had forgotten. Thanks.

• Upvote 2

I really liked this event, in my opinion best event challenge so far.

Need to be always in move, avoid temptation to "check another box" is something different from current game modes. And that climate of incoming danger, built up by horror sounds. I really love it. :)

It would be great to have a chance to return to it in some form as regular challenge.

On 10/30/2020 at 1:34 PM, Minya said:

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy that you don't have to suffer from being stalked by other things as well, it was just scary as shit when that deer came running straight at me, out of the dense, green fog XD

Oh yes there are wolves and Even beats. I ran straight to a bear without Even noticing what was happening. Luckily i got away. But you should Be aware of The other threats. Thats also The reason why are there guns in this gamemode.

Played this a few times now. I like the concept, but the fog is just too darn dense for me. Most of the time you're just looking at a completely green screen. If you lose orientation in the fog, finding the transition zones is almost impossible. Love that we get to try new things, just not a fan of this one.

1 minute ago, frostyblizzard said:

Played this a few times now. I like the concept, but the fog is just too darn dense for me. Most of the time you're just looking at a completely green screen. If you lose orientation in the fog, finding the transition zones is almost impossible. Love that we get to try new things, just not a fan of this one.

just curious if you ever got around to using that 1 time dispel all fog glyph?  I did when I got to FM and that so dramatically changed the view, didn't last nearly long enough though.

Yeah no, I'd have preferred a month long 4 Days of Night event rather than this. I think I mentioned last year I have trouble with flashing lights, well the flares flash and the constant night with no moon is sucky. I can barely traverse the areas I know well.

This event is such a delight. It used the game mechanics to add a completly new gameplay with so little new. I've always thought TLD would be an amazing horror experience if some creepyness was added, damn I was right. The atmosphere was simply brilliant and terrifying. I would gladly see this implemented as a permanent challenge. This game was already good, but everytime we hear from you it becomes even better in some unexpected aspect. Really well done, Hinterland.

This was by far the best Halloween event. 4DON was mindnumblingly boring. Darkwalker actually has some tension and creepiness. Difficulty varies though. You can cross several regions at the beginning without being near the Darkwalker, only to be cornered in a cave or some other narrow passage (like the hydro dam courtyard). But when it works it's great. I had some tense moments where I had to jump down ledges to evade it.

This event looks fantastic.

Sadly I only noticed it today, and now won't ever get to play it or unlock endless night option.

I really don't think options for the custom game mode should be locked behind one time events, and hope I atleast will get the option to unlock it next year.

Dear Hinterland,

Although I truly appreciate The Long Dark, and the fact that this is one of 100 games in my Steam inventory that I repeatedly come back to (among the 7 premium survival games I own), I must say I was disappointed in the Escape The Dark Walker event. My playtime got to the point where it wasn't challenging and I didn't want to play anymore.  I honestly tried to like it as I had played for 4 days I think. But I found it to be annoying and repetitious. There were times, as well, that even though I escaped the 'Fog' and transitioned to another region, there it was, waiting for me. And with nowhere to go (either back or forward) I was doomed. One example I can cite was when I was in Carter Hydro Dam. It was coming towards me inside the building on the generator level, near the fire barrel. I tried to go back up to the first level  and it was close. Then I tried to head to the lowest level, but it was there too. Consequently, I died every time.

Maybe there was some trick I didn't know, as I was able to escape it a few times when the same thing happened outdoors. In any case, I fount this event to be highly frustrating as a hardcore player with no less than 536 hours of play. I do believe I am a good LD hardcore survivalist, having stayed alive for 50 hours, but the Dark Walker just seemed to crush any attempts on my part to get to safety. 

I appreciate the event offering so don't give up. It was just one event that wasn't for me.

Edited by [RIP] Trixy

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/31/2020 at 3:00 PM, devamadhu said:

Update from Hinterland which resolved the glitch:

1. In Steam, go to your Library
  2. Right Click on the game title
  3. Select Properties
  4. Click Set Launch Options...
  5. Paste the following line into the provided text box
    -force-glcore
  6. Click OK, then Close.

That helped tremendously. Now.. why? GLCORE libraries are bad on Big Sur?

It's the other way around; that switch forces the Unity engine to use the OpenGL backend instead of Metal (which is the main 3d graphics api on MacOSX; heavily related to Vulkan).

In Linux, OpenGL has a problem where the terrain flickers... like enough to induce seizures. Instead I play the Windows version under the Proton compatibility layer which basically translates DirectX3D api calls into Vulkan calls... but I've been seeing some crashes lately with artifacts similar to the ones I've seen some Mac players post here in screenshots in the past.

I'm hoping that with the recent Unity engine update in TLD, they'll be able to move towards compiling the game for the unices like linux and MacOSX using the Vulkan libs rather than the glcore libs, which should result in significantly better stability and performance once all the migration issues get ironed out in the migration.

Edited by stratvox
clarity

I really think you should start out with better clothing, and maybe each campfire should have a guaranteed cup of coffee. It's gotten quite old dying of exposure early on in a run because you have so little time to search for clothing. 

I feel like the challenge is a bit too, err, challenging. Less skill, more luck, and really aimed at min-maxers and not 90% of the people who play the game... 

• 3 months later...