ESCAPE THE DARKWALKER Feedback and Discussion

Admin

25 minutes ago, Nyx9 said:

I love this holiday event - best yet!

The difficulty is well balanced and I like how the caves and transitions are scarier. Thanks for making the event longer this time and for all your hard work Hinterland!

I couldn't agree more. This event mode is a gas.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, peteloud said:

OK, Jeff, Nardo and ManicManiac, perhaps I have been too conservative,  I'll find a time to stop my current game of starting a Voyager run in HRV and give this new DarkWalker game a try.

I have just tried Darkwalker, starting in Coastal Highway.  I had very little idea what I was supposed to be doing.  I didn't look to see if there were any explanations or instructions.  I just hurried like crazy grabbing a few things that I found along the way.  The atmosphere was terrific, far too scary for and old man like me with very high blood pressure.  I got as far as the Trailer by the dam but didn't know what to do as the Darkwalker got closer and closer.  I nearly shit myself, had a heart attack, when there was a sudden wolf sound that seemed right next to me. Then I died.

I need to find out what I should be doing. Mad rushing around in a panic is not for me.  I like to plan and do everything in a calm planned way.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dascomb said:

Where ever you walk back or ahead it’ll be still  appears on your front 

damn thing is all around me...  How is it that it can run like the wind outside and it cant keep up, but if I sprint thru a cave, it just keeps pace?  I hate this bastard!

Just now, piddy3825 said:

damn thing is all around me...  How is it that it can run like the wind outside and it cant keep up, but if I sprint thru a cave, it just keeps pace?  I hate this bastard!

Well when I founded 6 of 10 pages in my last run then I decided to found all of them so ı start a new run but this time Dark Walker appears oftenly at least I have an strategy. Hold your stamina till darkwalker appears when it appears spray lure to farrest place then avoid it as soon as you avoid it it’ll goes to lure spray then break it lure spray can give you precious time to go for the next campfire 

3 minutes ago, Dascomb said:

Well when I founded 6 of 10 pages in my last run then I decided to found all of them so ı start a new run but this time Dark Walker appears oftenly at least I have an strategy. Hold your stamina till darkwalker appears when it appears spray lure to farrest place then avoid it as soon as you avoid it it’ll goes to lure spray then break it lure spray can give you precious time to go for the next campfire 

affirmative!  thanks for the heads up!

• Upvote 1

#Darkwalker 8H42M

got me cabin fever at the end all the time it is new :D?

and in crumbling highway Acis Timer(25%) i go in to the basement of this destroyed house. there was acid fog allready in there, burns my food :)

Edited by Even Dark

4 hours ago, Dascomb said:

I'm not sure I fully understand .  Can you be more clear?

I'm scared to play. But I like it. And in order not to be afraid, I imagine that this is my cat, which I forgot to feed.

am_am)am.thumb.jpg.3c738ef54b2199c5788a21b33b67240c.jpg

I already wrote that I received the first achievement. When I went to get the second achievement. I decided to collect pages on a simple route. From the lighthouse to the broken railway. But at the end of the journey, I found out that I was missing one page. I didn't realize that the first page doesn't count. In short died.))) lol.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 1:31 PM, stratvox said:

Playing on linux, the linux version works but of course with the ongoing terrain flickering problem. The windows version appears to be broken from running under proton.

Hello,

Could you specify what does not work for you with Proton and which distro/version? I'm able to play the game and the new event on Proton with a few issues: no arrow on map in the event, and my keybindings revert to default every time I start up the game.

Finally got a chance to play last night... 41 "in game" hours... started in DP and straight to the fire, hit lighthouse on my way out and found the revolver on the bed.. it was the only item I maintained for the whole run. I carried almost nothing other than flares and energy drinks and only picked up clothing if it was better than what I was wearing. Food and drink was consumed right away and not carried.

DP-CH-PV-ML-FM and then BR. The only time the Darkwalker distance came up was on the first map then never again..

Loved the event....

Guest jeffpeng
18 hours ago, peteloud said:

he atmosphere was terrific, far too scary for and old man like me with very high blood pressure.

I really do get how this isn't for you. Honestly: as exciting as it is I find myself not playing it now that I got my badges. I don't have the blood pressure issue (anymore, after losing 50 pounds this year), and at 39 I don't count myself old just yet :-), but my stress resistance is seriously reduced this year (and after this night even more ^^). No, really, I do get your point, even more the more I think about it. 

58 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

I really do get how this isn't for you. Honestly: as exciting as it is I find myself not playing it now that I got my badges. I don't have the blood pressure issue (anymore, after losing 50 pounds this year), and at 39 I don't count myself old just yet :-), but my stress resistance is seriously reduced this year (and after this night even more ^^). No, really, I do get your point, even more the more I think about it. 

Same, even though this was by far the best halloween event we ever had, the extra anxiety is not affordable for vitamin-D deprived me. Happy I got my badges this time around.

6 hours ago, zfp said:

Hello,

Could you specify what does not work for you with Proton and which distro/version? I'm able to play the game and the new event on Proton with a few issues: no arrow on map in the event, and my keybindings revert to default every time I start up the game.

Currently after getting the update I don't even make it to the disclaimer... the game just sits there. I'm using the latest Glorious Eggroll to play it because the ones that ship via steam don't work. Also, before the latest update it would load without any textures unless I used the -force-glcore parameter on the command line, which then means that the terrain textures flicker when running the windows version.

Ubuntu 20.04, ryzen 3950x, radeon 5700xt.

It's getting to the point where it's just unplayable. Which means I won't be playing, because I run linux for work and yes that includes at home.

admittedly, after the summer event i was skeptical, but ...hinterland, you did everything right with the darkwalker event! thanks, i am reconciled again with one of my favorite games. escaping the darkwalker for as long as possible while finding the green fires and enough good equipment to keep on running was exciting, intense and absolutely atmospheric. i assume that the mechanic is only meant for this event, but maybe you could consider to take over a darkwalker-mode into the core game?! maybe  in interloper-mode, as a random appearance during the aurora?! playing the event was really fun, thanks for that! and thanks also that the announcement in the apron went so much better this time. like i said, you did everything right here. thumbs up!

3 hours ago, stratvox said:

Currently after getting the update I don't even make it to the disclaimer... the game just sits there. I'm using the latest Glorious Eggroll to play it because the ones that ship via steam don't work.

Also, before the latest update it would load without any textures unless I used the -force-glcore parameter on the command line

The disclaimer one: try deleting/renaming the intro_cards.mp4 in  ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/TheLongDark/tld_Data/StreamingAssets/Video/Windows/

The other one sounds like a graphics driver issue, I'm able to run the game on a budget ryzen+radeon build and bit outdated *buntu.

Have you tried it with the recent patch?

Winter's Embrace was awesome... Because it was a longer term thing that I could play on my very limited free time.

But the way things seem right now, I'm not sure I'll be able to complete this challenge because my time is limited and the challenge is shorter. Any chance we could make it last longer?

36 minutes ago, Ape88 said:

Winter's Embrace was awesome... Because it was a longer term thing that I could play on my very limited free time.

But the way things seem right now, I'm not sure I'll be able to complete this challenge because my time is limited and the challenge is shorter. Any chance we could make it last longer?

i make a turorial play you can complete it very easy in 2H11M with 10/10 pages. in this run i do not use a single glyph so with glyphs it is very very easy. and this should be done quicker then winters embrace :)

part 1 is 6 pages in 1H:11M playtime

part 2 for 10 pages in 2H11M

Finally had the time for another try to get both batches. I started in DP, like a lot of people adviced, then to CH, PV and on to ML. The Darkwalker almost got me as I left the Carter Dam. He actually cornered me in the fenced area. I still do not know how I was able to escape him, but I did. With about 5% health I literally stumbled to the green fire in ML, where I was able to sleep an hour. Then I've put a lure gluph there. Next stop was the tunnel to FM, here I've sprayed ward and slept 3 hour. From there on it was almost a walk in the park to the 6th fire in BR. Once again, the sounds are really awesome. And I really have to say that I have enjoyed it a bit more than 4don. I was actually able to see far better where I was going because it was not so dark as in 4don.

image.thumb.png.07f86516ce9d64f16d9785dc39e3a20f.png

Edited by atomic
completed a sentence

'sup.

I'm a longtime player of TLD.  Few hundred hours logged, all of which I have -thoroughly- enjoyed.  Let me start by stating my profuse gratitude that this game even exists, and much moreso that y'all keep on putting out new content for it.  I've never actually tried to talk to a game dev studio before, but I wanted to put in my two cents because I would be delighted if, after the 12th, this game mode remains as an option to choose.  It feels like an absolute shame to have put in the work to create just for it to get locked away later, too.  Pretty please?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1