ESCAPE THE DARKWALKER Feedback and Discussion

Admin

So, fun fact, simply being NEAR the Darkwalker (within 50m) causes your health to drain insanely fast.  I had to pull some fancy parkour in the upper dam since he was blocking the hall leading the staircase up.  I was at 105% entering the lower dam, and left at about 15%.  The entire scene lasted maybe a minute tops.  Think I'm gonna have to make a trip to the Clearcut and drop a lure to get him out of my hair while I do a quick circuit of ML.  Then backtrack to the Ravine, then on to BI.

I think collecting every note in one run IS possible, and I'm committed to making it happen.

• Upvote 3

So, has anyone found if 1) the fires are randomly placed (I know it's one per region) and 2) where the HECK is the one for Hushed River Valley?  I already don't know this region that well, so this is extra hard to find.

Anyway, I'm LOVING this new mode, and I really want to beat it!  The tone is perfect, it's really spooky as the darkwalker gets closer.  The music/sound effects are perfect.

Edit: Not sure if it changes still but upon restarting it seems it shows up near Twin Sister Falls.  I would also recommend getting the moose satchel sack (if you know where to look ;P) since I've been walking on fumes for a while now and any bit of weight alleviation helps.

Edited by DonkeyOatee

9 minutes ago, DonkeyOatee said:

So, has anyone found if 1) the fires are randomly placed (I know it's one per region) and 2) where the HECK is the one for Hushed River Valley?  I already don't know this region that well, so this is extra hard to find.

Anyway, I'm LOVING this new mode, and I really want to beat it!  The tone is perfect, it's really spooky as the darkwalker gets closer.  The music/sound effects are perfect.

Love this event too ! For the fires, they are displayed on your map, as well as your position.

Made an account just to ask this but is there going to be a way for people who will buy the game at a later date, (or are unable/unwilling due to fears or work) to earn the endless night custom mode option and the darkwalker feat? I know a friend of mine still has this game on his wishlist and I believe that most people who really enjoy a game will probably try at least 1 endless night survival run.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, DarKube said:

Does anyone as figured out what Anxiety does ? It's maybe a "fear risk",  just like an hypothermia risk ?

Prevents you from sleeping or passing time (including to cook food) while in effect.  It also causes you to get a sort of tunnel vision, and start muttering things like "this is like something out of a horror movie".

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Prevents you from sleeping or passing time (including to cook food) while in effect.  It also causes you to get a sort of tunnel vision, and start muttering things like "this is like something out of a horror movie".

Ok thanks, I knew about the muttering thing and vision but didn't about the passing time.

Edited by DarKube

1. Players who manage to survive one hour will be awarded the Umbra Badge.
  2. Those that manage to find six of the ten diary pages from the EVENT CAMPS will win the Deadly Dreamer Badge.

@Admin, I assume #2 can be achieved by "cumulative" playthroughs, while #1 must be accomplished in a single playthrough?

• Upvote 1

Hi. I am very new to the game, but I can do some well runs. I love this event as it is really spooky! My longest run so far was 38 minutes and shortest was UNDER A MINUTE! Lol. I cooked myself in the fire on purpose. Just to see what would happen! This is a really fun event and I am going to try to survive for an hour to get the achievement!

screen_23fc2d7e-384c-485f-b058-56e2dc732

This is my closest of being visible to it, I was ight next to a cliff and I decided, which will make me ask later, I would jump off to escape the wrath and not suffer it. And I jumped off and died. Very disturbing but It had to be done. Now I would ask, if this was happening to you, Would YOU jump off?

2 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I assume #2 can be achieved by "cumulative" playthroughs, while #1 must be accomplished in a single playthrough?

Nope--single play-through.  I just unlocked it and the feat it grants says "You've collected 6 Escape the Darkwalker Diary Pages in a single game."

Edit: Incidentally, I think the quality of the rewards you find at the campsite goes up depending on how many you've found.  The one I just found had a large trunk next to it containing a bearskin bedroll.  The one before it had a moosehide satchel.  I have 3 more regions to go before I've nailed the entire world in one pass, so it'll be interesting to see what's in those.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 2

My first run lasted 2 hours and some change. This was a palm sweat inducing scarefest! I think Hinterland did a great job with this update and was impressed with the unique character speech for the event. I'm still working out strategies with the glyphs and I kind of like how we have to figure some of the Darkwalker out on the fly.

I made it from Milton to DP going through FM, ML and CH.(I had intended to take the dam to PV and then go to CH, but I panicked with the fog and forgot to use the glph and rushed to the ravine instead He caught up to me in the connection mine and finally got me right outside the mine in DP. I actually tried to run off the ledge where there's a rope tie-off to escape IT. The foot prints rushing towards me in the  made me panic though and I got stuck on a rock an was devoured. What a rush!

When I normally die in survival mode I almost always go ahead and immediately boot up another run....this time I had to take a break. Good luck you guys!

SPOILERS: Things I know now for my next run

* There are, in fact, still wolves!

* the fog glyph is your friend

* use the warding glyph INSIDE the structure you're trying to sleep in

* don't use the first 15 minutes running like an idiot. conserve energy and loot

2093511894_SCREENSHOT.thumb.jpg.ef8879dee25f2fa349aa02f98e256130.jpg

• Upvote 1

Is there a separate darkwalker for each region? Or is there something wrong with the way the cinder hills coal mine is oriented with respect to Pleasant Valley?

I'm currently trapped at the Pleasant Valley side of the Cinder Hills Coal Mine. If I move into Pleasant Valley from the coal mine, it takes me closer to the Darkwalker. If I enter the mine and travel deeper into it, it also takes me closer to the Darkwalker. This didn't happen at the other end of the coal mine (although somehow the darkwalker beat me to the other side, and I was able to get away from it by heading back through the coal mine in the other direction). I'm just very confused right now about how the darkwalker works with respect to changing maps.

I captured a short video of what I'm seeing.

• Upvote 2

Played two rounds, first was until the toxic fog, second one hour thirty.

1. Toxic fog is the real threat. The darkwalker is fairly easy to deal with and you get lots of glyph spray cans with four uses each.
  2. Toxic fog isn't much fun. It murders your visibility several minutes out from doing damage and kills you real fast (two minutes?). The visibility loss might be the biggest problem as well as time management being difficult to tell in this games huge zones with limited exits.
  3. The Darkwalker is way too loud. The footsteps would be enough and more intimidating, you can hear them from any distance why does it need to make a constant racket until you get 300-400M away? Start the "spooky" audio around 100M.
  4. The screen FX for being near the darkwalker are kinda cheesy
  5. Having two different measures of time, realtime and ingame time is strange
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, devamadhu said:

Welp, I'm getting multicolored "tv snow" that covers the entire screen every time I boot up the game. I've been really looking forward to this event and would love to be able to play. Just tried twice through Steam. Currently on an iMac, and now I'm going to try and figure out how to submit it as a bug.
12670955_TVSnow.thumb.png.31a71f9a575979c62a92274a1ce33040.png

Exactly the same on my Macbook pro.. *sigh*

BAM!  Ended my world tour in Hushed River Valley.  I never used the fog glyph either, but if I'm interpreting this correctly it will dispel the fog and clear things up.  So my plan is to lure the Darkwalker up to Monolith Lake, dispel the fog, then have a showdown.  Rifle, revolver, and flare gun.  If none of that does the trick, oh well.  Can't say I didn't try.

20201030140237_1.jpg

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, John Jolly Stupid said:

Very disappointed. Both badges in first run - took 2.5 hrs. No need to cook, make water or repair clothes. The only thing that would make this hard is lack of map knowledge. I have no interest to replay this - back to Interloper.  4DON was way, way better.

I liked 4DON a lot better too. I don’t really care for badges or anything, it’s all about the experience. I miss the days of spawning on Jackrabbit Island in CH and getting scared to death by demons wolves. This event feels really out of place for a game that isn’t a survival horror. If I wanted to get chased by a malevolent entity, I would go play Dead by Daylight.

• Upvote 2

Well everything started on a bad note. Game would not start and always froze but corrected that and played the event.

I wonder how much time and effort went into this and if that time and effort instead had gone into fixing bugs or further development of the game, what would make the players of the game more happy??

Anyways I grade it a  C- only for the effort.

Well the Darkwalker is immune to weapons fire.  Kind of saw that coming though, so next time around I won't bother lugging that rifle with me.  I decided not to give it the satisfaction of getting me though, so I returned to Mountain Town.  I got a nice warm fire going at the church, ate and drank my last meal, then painted a ward and sat back to wait for the end.  Unfortunately the "game over" screen still says I was devoured.  It was interesting the way all the food I had on me instantly dropped to Ruined when the final 60 seconds were ticking down.  Sure glad I didn't push my luck earlier in the game.

I think I'll hit this one more time, and use what I've learned to try for the maximum possible time survived. I managed 5 hours 33 minutes this time.