ESCAPE THE DARKWALKER is coming later this week!

Admin

It's nearly here! The Long Dark's newest Halloween Event ESCAPE THE DARKWALKER is coming later this week. Prepare to be hunted by a mysterious and deadly entity that chases you across Great Bear Island in this limited-time event.

For more details read our latest Dev Diary.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Based upon what I've read about the event, here's my proposed route I'm going to try:

20201027_125755.thumb.jpg.9f85ad8194772c253202e6578eafad18.jpg

That's just 7 regions though, you could get 8 if you chose Desolation-(Crumbling)-Coastal-(Ravine)-Bleak-Forlorn-Milton-Mystery-(Winding)-Pleasant-Timberwolf. Or HRV-Milton-Mystery-(Winding)-Pleasant-Coastal-(Ravine)-Bleak-Forlorn-Railroad

Anyway nice map

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mistral said:

That's just 7 regions though, you could get 8 if you chose Desolation-(Crumbling)-Coastal-(Ravine)-Bleak-Forlorn-Milton-Mystery-(Winding)-Pleasant-Timberwolf. Or HRV-Milton-Mystery-(Winding)-Pleasant-Coastal-(Ravine)-Bleak-Forlorn-Railroad

Anyway nice map

The reason I left out TWM & HRV is: #1 they are dead-ends with not many easily attainable resources and #2 I would be hard-pressed to reach them, then have to double-back through their adjacent zone to reach my next destination.  Keep in mind, I'm going to be "rush gathering" resources along the way.

Edited by hozz1235

8 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

@hozz1235, I was gonna take that route but backwards. But Your direction is easier since you start in two resource dense areas and the climes are more downhill. May I ask why you want to climb into that ravine?

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid climbing UP ropes as much as possible.

I'm going to enter the Ravine from ML, grab a few resources there, see how long I can avoid the Darkwalker, then exit back to ML and continue on.  

Ya know, I forgot about BI...I may modify my route to include it...maybe drop down the ravine, run thru BI (hit the Cannery) then out to FM (hit Spence) and maybe back to ML (hit Camp Office and Trapper's) then continue on my original route.

Edited by hozz1235

• Admin featured and pinned this topic

I haven't had a video game dream in a long time but last night I dreamed I was in Desolation Point and the darkwalker was after me.  Green fog and everything. It quickly deviated from anything TLD-related, and turned into a dream about me climbing a rickety collapsing set of wooden scaffolding with something invisible and growling trying to claw its way up behind me.  Hopefully the real darkwalker can be slowed down by gunfire like the one in my dream.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I haven't had a video game dream in a long time but last night I dreamed I was in Desolation Point and the darkwalker was after me.  Green fog and everything. It quickly deviated from anything TLD-related, and turned into a dream about me climbing a rickety collapsing set of wooden scaffolding with something invisible and growling trying to claw its way up behind me.  Hopefully the real darkwalker can be slowed down by gunfire like the one in my dream.

Someone's been playing TLD a little too much! 🤪😉

The event will be completely opposite to how I play - instead of looting and crafting as much as you can each day, you have to skip loot and stop to craft as little as possible.

So I've trained myself to skip loot and 'play sloppy' to save IRL time the last few days and tried 14 routes on a timer and as if played at night. Of these, 4 succeeded and I can share that MT, CH, FM, and BI are regions where you will have it all to do to cross them in time. If you save these regions for last (or find a shorter route through them), you will get more IRL time.

I recommend these 4 optimal routes then, in order of regions (and transition zones/mines) hit:

1. DP, CH, BI, FM, MT, ML, PV, TWM summit. (Tough-ish start but most regions.)
  2. HRV, MT, ML, PV, CH, BI, FM, BR. (Only route that makes MT easier.)
  3. BR, FM, MT, ML, PV, CH, DP/BI. (Easy start with Revolver, ammo, and spray paint.)
  4. TWM, PV, CH, BI, FM, MT, ML, Ravine/WR. (Summit is quite tough but possible and clothes set you up for the rest.)

That said, I don't think the event will be more challenging than a typical 16-day Voyager/Stalker run, just more repetitive if you play the game as intended (thoughtfully, not rushed).

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Gun Tech. said:

(...) and I can share that MT, CH, FM, and BI are regions where you will have it all to do to cross them in time. If you save these regions for last (or find a shorter route through them), you will get more IRL time.

CH and FM are imo fairly straightforward to quickly pass through. Entering the MT basin and leaving MT through the cave to ML is going to be a challenge in 30 minutes with all the climbing. Going the opposite way is likely easier. BI is obviously the most difficult. Normally i try to sneak past the timberwolf packs but for this challenge one or more marine flares will have to do the trick. To avoid the long route over the bridge a possible alternative route would be to use the hidden path along the hills and then drop down. May be tricky during the night depending on the weather.

Anyway i really like these challenges where you need to rush such as hopeless rescue and the hunted. Last year during 4DON i had the most fun when i just rushed into the snowstorm looking for pies instead of taking shelter.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

When I saw this episode of Primal... I imagined more about what the atmosphere of this event was going feel like.    It's a coincidence I know, but the creepy vibe and green aesthetic just made me think about (and get excited for) "Escape the Darkwalker" even more... :D
CovenPromo1.jpg.d9d6e32c86651a64947b560c21254328.jpg
CovenPromo2.jpg.34905721863a3a33947ff7f398f20f7e.jpg
CovenPromo3.jpg.9c3190605d6e4020df56ea496c112ed9.jpg
CovenPromo4.jpg.1b2b221ee8d291fbf4cfab43607c400a.jpg

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Gun Tech. said:

I streamed my DarkWalker spoilers info video 12.5h ago - if you want the scoop, you can get it here. (Also check the pinned video comment for a few pieces of info added since.)

We've had a couple of people flag this post, and to be clear this is not "leaked" information. We provided some streamers early access to the event and they were streaming yesterday (and today), and @Gun Tech. created a video based on their streams with details about the event. If you're wanting to come to the event without knowing anything then please avoid these streams. 

If you want to find out about the event before it's launch later today (6 PM PDT) then feel free to watch them. Many of them have been linked to from our Twitter account: https://twitter.com/HinterlandGames

I can hardly wait to get started!

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I've planned a possible route that would potentially take me though a total of 10 maps without any backtracking (7 proper regions plus 3 transition zones).  It's the best route I could find *while excluding dead end maps*.  Hopefully I will be able to find a weapon before having to run though Bleak Inlet...

Though, I suppose... with this route (if I can move fast enough), I could conceivably dip into the other "dead end" regions along the way just to be able visit to all regions.

I'm going to have to think about it some more...

[Addendum]
I have a feeling that my initial plans will end up going right out the window. :D
I still don't really know what the "victory conditions" are going to be... (I mean yes, death is the eventuality... but I imagine there are other objectives in addition to surviving as long as we can)

Edited by ManicManiac
I wasn't counting Transition Caves because they don't have a map.

4 hours ago, Admin said:

We've had a couple of people flag this post, and to be clear this is not "leaked" information. We provided some streamers early access to the event and they were streaming yesterday (and today), and @Gun Tech. created a video based on their streams with details about the event. If you're wanting to come to the event without knowing anything then please avoid these streams. 

If you want to find out about the event before it's launch later today (6 PM PDT) then feel free to watch them. Many of them have been linked to from our Twitter account: https://twitter.com/HinterlandGames

I will be streaming the DarkWalker event as soon as it comes out for everyone on my Twitch channel (guntech1).

3 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

¡Casi no puedo esperar para empezar!

:café::fuego::café:
He planeado una posible ruta que potencialmente me llevaría a través de un total de 10 mapas sin ningún retroceso (7 regiones adecuadas más 3 zonas de transición). Es la mejor ruta que pude encontrar * sin incluir los mapas sin salida *. Con suerte, podré encontrar un arma antes de tener que correr por Bleak Inlet ...

Aunque, supongo ... con esta ruta (si puedo moverme lo suficientemente rápido), posiblemente podría  sumergirme en las otras regiones "sin salida" en el camino solo para poder visitar todas las regiones.

Voy a tener que pensarlo un poco más ...

[Anexo]
Tengo la sensación de que mis planes iniciales terminarán saliendo por la ventana. :RE
Todavía no sé realmente cuáles serán las "condiciones de victoria" ... (quiero decir que sí, la muerte es la eventualidad ... pero me imagino que hay otros objetivos además de sobrevivir el mayor tiempo posible)

Hello, for a weapon if the dark cannot be killed, unless the wolves and bears are also there, but I do not believe in the image they have put, they were dead but who knows there is little left to find out.

• Admin locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic