Livestock

alone sniper

Hi everybody 😃

Before anything, I wanted to say I don't want to see livestock in game like right now !  But, I wanted to create a topic about it so, I can now more about livestock breeds (cattle, Sheep and etc. )that could withstands the harsh environment of  the long dark 😄 So, if anyone knows about the cattle breed that would withstand the environment, please share it â˜ș

I myself think the Galloway bread would be a good pick for cattle. It will withstand environment. I don't know about sheep breed though. 

And some questions ! 

• What region do you think would be good for it in the future ?  
  • How do you think it should be added ?
  • How the mechanism for interaction with it should be? 
  • Should their be able to breed ? 
  • Should we have their milk? Or have them for their meat?  😋
  • Do you think it is necessary ?

So, again I am talking about future. I myself don't think we have a chance to see them in near future but i like the idea of having them in the game.  😊And it would be awesome if we could pat our baby cattle 😍😊

Edited by alone sniper

I would have to hard pass for a number of reasons:

1.  The game is about survival and always moving, you can't do that with sheep or cattle.
  2. You might want their milk or meat but so do the other wildlife and this would attract them meaning you would be killing the wildlife to keep the livestock safe, but then who needs the meat from the live stock.
  3. Food for the livestock, it's currently winter. Harvest the frozen hay bales and then what, let them starve??

Guest jeffpeng
9 hours ago, LumiStylesTTV said:

Food for the livestock, it's currently winter. Harvest the frozen hay bales and then what, let them starve??

Cut them up and store their meat in the snow for 3652 days. That's just how we roll on great bear.

1 hour ago, jeffpeng said:

Cut them up and store their meat in the snow for 3652 days. That's just how we roll on great bear.

haha, sure sure . .I thought the purpose of the post was to maintain the livestock.  We're just fattening them up, easy food, except for the wildlife that's gonna try and gobble them up first.

Hi @LumiStylesTTV and thinks for reply 😃

On 10/27/2020 at 3:52 PM, LumiStylesTTV said:

The game is about survival and always moving, you can't do that with sheep or cattle.

First things first, Early humans Had traveled and migrated for hundreds of years, So I think it is possible that you would move with sheep and cattle 😊

On 10/27/2020 at 3:52 PM, LumiStylesTTV said:

it's currently winter.

Second, you are right. it is winter and it will probably stay this way. But maybe in future when the seasons will be added in game it wouldn't be to find some foods for livestock. 

And again, I didn't mean we need livestock in game in near future. I myself though this would be a great idea for a long term survival.

49 minutes ago, alone sniper said:

Hi @LumiStylesTTV and thinks for reply 😃

First things first, Early humans Had traveled and migrated for hundreds of years, So I think it is possible that you would move with sheep and cattle 😊

Second, you are right. it is winter and it will probably stay this way. But maybe in future when the seasons will be added in game it wouldn't be to find some foods for livestock. 

And again, I didn't mean we need livestock in game in near future. I myself though this would be a great idea for a long term survival.

Maybe early settlers did. But in the game the sheep and cattle are decoys to be fed upon as I make my escape. Also there was more people than one lone man, different scenario altogether. The game will always be winter, it will never have seasons. Adding livestock is making the game into something it isn't. If you want livestock get a farming simulator not a survivalist game lol.

:coffee::fire:

On 9/13/2020 at 4:43 AM, ManicManiac said:

I love this game too, but I don't want the game to become something else.

I don't think I would like adding husbandry, canning, farming crops, or tending to bees in this game.
Generally speaking, when I feel like farming, breeding livestock, bee keeping, or canning... I tend to want to play Stardew Valley or Minecraft.

I would not want The Long Dark to become more like Minecraft or Stardew Valley... I much prefer Hinterland's vision and I love the game they've made.

Guest jeffpeng
6 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I would not want The Long Dark to become more like Minecraft

Fun Fact: I actually used to work on a mod that aspired to make Minecraft more like The Long Dark. Never got past concept stage, but it taught me how delicate TLDs balance actually is, and how hard it is to achieve to make such a game work and still be fun. Sometimes I when I think of TLD's development, I think of that scene in Hunt for Red October where they navigate this silly narrow trench, slowly, but with pinpoint accuracy and little to no room for error.

On topic: I understand that you don't really want to suggest adding livestock into the game. But for the sake of argument:

On 10/27/2020 at 6:08 AM, alone sniper said:

What region do you think would be good for it in the future ? 

There literally is a farming region in the game. Hard to argue with that.

How do you think it should be added ?

Well I don't. But if I had to... probably along the lines that you'd have to fortify an area against wolves which would take a lot of stuff you'd have to collect first, putting this at the "end" of the game. A sort of alternative ending like "And after looting the living snot out of the island, making sure no other survivor ever had a chance of making it, they lived happily ever after on the Pleasant Valley Farmstead because lolz." Then, well, it's really quite repetitive. Feed stuff, repair fences, breed stuff, collect food, kill stuff, eat stuff, repeat. Kinda like living on a farm - oh wait.

How the mechanism for interaction with it should be? 

Well kinda tackled that above I guess.

Should their be able to breed ? 

What's the point if they are not?

Should we have their milk? Or have them for their meat?

Well you use what you can. It seems logical to milk some livestock to add food diversity. Plus I really like cheese. Like really. Seriously.

Do you think it is necessary ?

Definitely not. It's not only not necessary, it's expressively not advisable. You could make a game like this, and make it work, but it is very hard to keep something interesting when it revolves around basically "simulated" work. In the setting of TLD there is little progression that you could make with that. There is no trade, your options are limited in terms of expansion, there is little reason to actually do this besides food.

But bottom line it's not what TLD is about. In my opinion settling in for prolonged periods of time is already against what the game is about (which is why I'm generally against that it is even possible to not move for months). TLD is about exploration, facing the elements, pulling yourself out of tricky situations and escaping death yet another day. It's what drives the game's appeal, and why it just won't get old. I know of no other game out there MAYBE besides Minecraft  that you can just play, and play, and play and keep coming back to.

I don't know about anyone else but I feel like another world scenario you could lay over the TLD mechanics is that of an early hunter gather survival. (Stoning rabbits anyone?) So this livestock thingy is a natural evolution from survival to settling (or herding!?) and late game survival in TLD is effectively about settling. Anyway. Just putting that out there!

On the OP question: Highland cattle. Everywhere. Let's ride them but breeding might be a step too far. Milk. Mmm. Necessary? We seems to be surviving without them... 

Guest jeffpeng
10 minutes ago, Stone said:

Pilotwings.

You will probably think I'm a bad person for saying this ... but... I've never played that. ^^

On 10/27/2020 at 1:22 PM, LumiStylesTTV said:

The game is about survival and always moving

Not neccesarily. If we are talking about sandbox, you can play it in a number of ways. One way would be to move around constantly. The other would be to settle down in one location. It is a sandbox - there are no directions how to play it, really.

10 hours ago, alone sniper said:

That is an interesting idea. Still, I would probably agree with the rest of the people here - I dont think that keeping livestock around would be very viable, and in the end, not sure it would bring sufficient benefits to attempt it.

Then again, if we were talking about sheep, their wool in itself would technically be a source of wool-based craftable under-layer garments. And, in itself, also a renewable source of cloth (as wool could be turned to the ingame version of cloth, Id say).

That all said...

I dont think it would be very good idea. It does not fit in very well into the game, the map, how survival works within the game... 
Some people made arguments that the livestock would die because you wouldnt be able to feed it... think wildlife. Deer are in the game, they are herbivores. If the livestock eventually died out, so would the deer after them. This does not happen. Deer is better accustomed to survival then livestock, however that does not mean the livestock couldnt survive if the deer could. Still, the livestock would definitely die in packs with the predator threat of the Great bear. You dont really have any locations that would be fit to keep them in, no fenced areas which would actually defend the livestock from predators... and their presence would just attract more wolves.

One of my oldest ideas comes to mind. I made a suggestion on these forums a couple of times, that there should be some animals that are endemitic to certain areas. Kinda like timberwolves are right now in Bleak inlet... only these animals would be rare, and important for the long term survival. The suggestion I made was for a special kind of a sheep which would only be found on the Timberwolf mountain (and, now I guess it could also be found in the top areas of Hushed river valley as that is pretty mountaineous region) - these sheep would be a herbivore kind of an animal which would yield wool upon death, and skin which could be used to craft undergarments from animals.

I think this would be a better way to introduce sheep into the game as it is more in par with what the game is nowadays. 

Keeping sheep and cattle is an interesting idea, but it does not fit in very well with The Long dark.

The theme is interesting but not for this game. at least not in this incarnation of it. Let's say I don't want to raise cattle up to my waist in snow and have a wolf on my back.

But I remembered something. There are already some animals in the game that can quite cope with giving us milk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose_milk

Now, a joke. try taking milk from the moose while it's breaking your ribs. Especially if it's the wrong gender.

And now a little serious. I'm talking about wool.

"Other animal fibers used include alpaca, angora, mohair, llama, cashmere, and silk. More rarely, yarn may be spun from camel, yak, possum, musk ox, vicuña, cat, dog, wolf, rabbit, or bison hair, and even chinchilla as well as turkey or ostrich feathers. Natural fibers such as these have the advantage of being slightly elastic and very breathable, while trapping a great deal of air, making for some of the warmest fabrics in existence."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarn#Materials

I think everything is clear.

• Upvote 1

I do think implementing livestock would be unreasonable for the following reasons:

1. In reality, livestock need a lot of maintenance and sometimes get sick (requiring you to cull the population). Since this is a survival game, it be difficult to treat injuries or acquire medicine for livestock.

2. You need barns, pens, and fences to house and protect livestock. I don't see a reasonable way to implement fence building and the like considering resources are scarce and  you have to be weary of spending extended periods of time outdoors because of frostbite and hypothermia risk.

3. Livestock would attract hunger predators, so in reality you'd spend all of your time fending off attacks instead of actually caring for the livestock and looking for supplies.

But something that may be more reasonable would be to implement  rabbit trapping. Rabbits are already part of the in game wildlife. They are small and would be easy to maintain. I also figured since there is a trappers homestead in the Mystery Lake region, it may be nice to actually do some trapping. 

4 hours ago, panda_gamer87 said:

But something that may be more reasonable would be to implement  rabbit trapping. Rabbits are already part of the in game wildlife. They are small and would be easy to maintain. I also figured since there is a trappers homestead in the Mystery Lake region, it may be nice to actually do some trapping. 

I apologize. And what to do with them when they are caught? That is, what other use can there be besides fur and meat? Why keep them if they can just be caught in traps and consumed.