A naturally spawned wolf carcass ?

DarKube

They do naturally spawn in some places, though they are rare. However, the wolf carcass will say it was "ravaged" if it is naturally spawned, and it will appear to be half-eaten and would only have about a 0,5kg to 1,5 kg of meat on it. This one looks to not have been "ravaged" - if it says it is just "wolf corpse" then it was an actual wolf that died to something. This would be either a shot from you that killed it, or you went into a struggle with it, or you are correct and this wolf got killed by something. Which could or could not be a bug, but i dont think I have ever heard or seen a wolf die to a bear. They run away, but the bears dont seem to care.

I doubt it. The game doesnt treat ravaged carcasses as it does with the normal animals. For example, normal animal carcasses decay much faster then the ravaged ones. Though that may just be my feeling - but you would be able to harvest ravaged carcasses a lot later then you would normal ones, those only last 3 or so days at most. 

Since Ravaged carcasses are basically not normal carcasses, I doubt it was a carcass that spawned naturally with the wrong texture. 

From the looks of this carcass, the legs position would indicate a normal wolf that is, for some reason, dead.

It could simply be a bug that the wolf is dead and isnt supposed to be. Could be that a bear actually killed wolf. I checked the other websites for more info, there are other reports of wolves appearing dead in the area of bears, and Hinterland hinted at wanting to have interactions between those two - we know wolves run from bears. It is not without a reason that this could be a wolf, killed by a bear.

Is there a bear in that area? 

It is most likely just a bug, though.

PS: There are many places where ravaged wolf carcasses can spawn. In caves, the ravine in the Broken railroad map,  or Hushed river valley. Found some in Bleak inlet as well. Plenty of places.

Edited by Mroz4k

I have had instances where random dead wildlife appears, but I didn't kill it.  I can recall a couple instances where I've found a deer carcass laying in the middle of nowhere.  It wasn't Ravaged, I hadn't done any hunting, and it wasn't even completely frozen.  Like it spawned in and toppled over dead long before I was close enough to see it.

It might be related to the rare glitch that sometimes results in dead wildlife remaining standing, with their idle animation playing.

12 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

I doubt it. The game doesnt treat ravaged carcasses as it does with the normal animals. For example, normal animal carcasses decay much faster then the ravaged ones. Though that may just be my feeling - but you would be able to harvest ravaged carcasses a lot later then you would normal ones, those only last 3 or so days at most. 

Since Ravaged carcasses are basically not normal carcasses, I doubt it was a carcass that spawned naturally with the wrong texture. 

From the looks of this carcass, the legs position would indicate a normal wolf that is, for some reason, dead.

It could simply be a bug that the wolf is dead and isnt supposed to be. Could be that a bear actually killed wolf. I checked the other websites for more info, there are other reports of wolves appearing dead in the area of bears, and Hinterland hinted at wanting to have interactions between those two - we know wolves run from bears. It is not without a reason that this could be a wolf, killed by a bear.

Is there a bear in that area? 

It is most likely just a bug, though.

PS: There are many places where ravaged wolf carcasses can spawn. In caves, the ravine in the Broken railroad map,  or Hushed river valley. Found some in Bleak inlet as well. Plenty of places.

Yes the wolf was sitting just at the entry of a bear cave, and there was the bear.

52 minutes ago, turtle777 said:

I recently encountered a ravaged regular wolf carcass in BI.

I had to look twice,  because I have never seen regular wolves in BI. 
But yeah, wolf carcasses happens. 
-t

Yeah but, as you say, they normally appear ravaged whereas this one though is clean.

On 26/10/2020 at 17:44, DarKube said:

Acabo de encontrar este cadáver de lobo frente a una cueva de osos, en TWM, totalmente congelado mientras era la primera vez que vine aquí en esta partida. ¿Los cadáveres de lobo rara vez se reproducen de forma natural? ¿El oso pudo haber matado al lobo?

screen_d53d3f14-ff63-4634-a8dd-6fcdc123289a_hi.png

the bears if they can kill the wolves I saw several deaths of the wolf at the hands of the bear although normally the wolves flee there are times that in the flight they come across the bear and kill them

1 hour ago, mayimbe said:

the bears if they can kill the wolves I saw several deaths of the wolf at the hands of the bear although normally the wolves flee there are times that in the flight they come across the bear and kill them

Oh ok ! Thanks, I didn't knew that : problem solved I guess !

Edited by DarKube

21 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I have had instances where random dead wildlife appears, but I didn't kill it.  I can recall a couple instances where I've found a deer carcass laying in the middle of nowhere.  It wasn't Ravaged, I hadn't done any hunting, and it wasn't even completely frozen.  Like it spawned in and toppled over dead long before I was close enough to see it.

Pity the living creatures of Great Bear, for they had no idea of the evil that was to descend upon them. Such malevolence would consume lives without ever needing the warm touch of flesh and blood, without the thrill of the hunt nor the honorable struggle of the fight. An eldritch entity, a distraught druid or a vengeful revenant? The old lore only speak of it in hush tones and fearful mumblings, for it is known as the Darkwalker. 

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
On 10/26/2020 at 8:37 PM, Mroz4k said:

Naturally occurring carcasses decay at the same rate - they just don't decay at all until you "look" at them. So unless you open the GUI for a carcass it will just stay there in place forever.

On topic: I remember there was a bug in the game for a short time that made moose hunt wolves and actually kill them. So technically one entity can kill another. As for bears killing wolves ... I've never seen it happen, but I can fathom that this is actually in the game.

• 4 weeks later...

I know that I was exploring and watched a wolf take down a deer in the distance. I was a jerk and chased the wolf away with a torch, lit a fire, and harvested some of the deer. After that the wolf was pretty mad at me. I eventually grabbed a torch and backed away slowly and let the wolf have the rest of the corpse. So it probably just died of something attacking it.

Can a moose kill any of the other wildlife in the game or does it just really hurt the player?

Edited by flakeinator
Spelling error.

4 minutes ago, flakeinator said:

I know that I was exploring and watched a wolf take down a deer in the distance. I was a jerk and chased the wolf away with a torch, lit a fire, and harvested some of the deer. After that the wolf was pretty mad at me. I eventually grabbed a torch and backed away slowly and let the wolf have the rest of the corpse. So it probably just died of something attacking it.

Can a moose kill any of the other wildlife in the game or does it just really hurt the player?

Don't know for the moose thing. And honestly, you weren't really a jerk : you know what I do ? I just kill the wolf : one arrow, two kill 😈

47 minutes ago, Glflegolas said:

I think that there can be up to six naturally spawned wolf carcasses on a given playthrough. Four in Hushed River Valley, one in Bleak Inlet, and one in Broken Railroad. I could be missing one though...

You miss the one in a cave in Milton (maybe the one which connect to HRV I don't remember)