Post TWM summit discussion

NotQuiteBearGrylls

So you've made it to the Summit of TWM, after gorging yourself on peanut butter and looting every inch of the plane, the question remains: now what?

I'm asking myself this question for the first time on a sub 80 day run, on voyageur. There's literally piles of high quality gear waiting to be ferried off the summit.

So far, I've made one trip down the mountain cliff to the mountaineers hut, but still have (I estimate) 2 more loads trips to make.

My ultimate goal is take all of my looted goodies off TWM, out of PV , through the Cinder Hills mine, and eventually retire at CH.

I'd like to use this post to start some discussion on a couple of topics:

1) what is your preferred method of getting all your loot immediately off TWM? &;

2) What's your short, medium, and long term goals/ destination for you and the loot you chose to take?

Reaching the summit on voyageur is funny because the game completely drowns you in loot in the same way as the Fallout New Vegas DLC Dead Money drowns you in gold bars. It's all too much and too heavy to carry away. In my own first survival run it was the moment when i realized that the voyageur difficulty had become way too easy for me.

Unless you really like hoarding and transporting a lot of loot i would suggest you continue to 100 days and then try the Interloper difficulty.

• Upvote 1

It's really not worth it carrying it all to another region. I've done it once and it takes soooo many trips. Think about what you really need and want. At most I'd stash things in the mountaineer's hut where you can easily get to it

There is not much need for the food for example. You can always hunt, which is more fun too

Edited by Serenity

• 2 weeks later...

I usually mountain goat down from TWM while encumbered and store in the Mountaineer’s. I’ve done the summit like 3-4 times now, but honestly, I kind of hate it. I think it is too much loot, and throws off the game balance. I wish the expedition parka (1-2 of them) were guaranteed elsewhere on the map, and that the summit loot would be removed. I only go up there for the parka but don’t feel like I can leave the rest usually. I generally play custom. 

Yeah it’s so much I usually just leave most of it. Except the parkas and whatever clothing upgrades I lacked, and ammo. I limit myself to one trip down. I usually sprain all my flippers on the way down too, so sometimes I take some extra bandages and cloth, to fix stuff. Traditionally the bear that likes the creek below the billy goat route eats me 50% of the time too. I like to think that all the extra gear lets me survive two maulings instead of just one, so when I rage shoot it in the butt as it walks away, I might have an extra chance....

Btw love the dead money reference...

On 10/26/2020 at 3:18 AM, NotQuiteBearGrylls said:

2) What's your short, medium, and long term goals/ destination for you and the loot you chose to take?   

Like you I usually carry most goods over to Cinder Hills. If you're working on mastering your current difficulty, I'd suggest moving a lot of stuff from one region to another could wait. It takes a lot of time and you might wind up dead 5 or 20 days later without using any of the heavy goods you spent so much time transporting. If you feel prepared for endgame you can reduce your trips to a minimum by carefully choosing what to carry away. For example, do you really need 8 simple tools in late game when you can just repair the quality ones with your endless (almost) supply of scrap metal? And is it useful to carry 10 wolf pelts from TWM to CH? etc

• Upvote 2

At this stage I'm feeling pretty confident with my playthrough and feel like im approaching the end stages of my playthrough- retiring at coastal highway.

I've also followed your thinking- loaded up on whetstones, cleaning kits, and sewing kits and making my way to Cinder hills. I think from then on I'll be bouncing between DP, CH, & PV .

• Upvote 1