Wendigo Mountain Cave

oplli

Hi, during the two last days i were working on two maps that would illustrate my idea of this new Wendigo Mountain-Cave Region. i made a regular map and a cave map that is as big as regular region. based on the whiteberry ones we often see. I have been dreaming about enormous caves for the game since a long time i think that could be a valuable thing to add. and it would introduce new way to play and give idea for thoustands of new challenges, personal challenges but official too. Here is the idea: 

The fist map look pretty much like timberwolf mountain but a bit smaller. There is a Research Facility. the scientist used to work in the cave, a reception for the hikers, a shelter on the summit for the hikers too, and a randomly accessible fishing hut. i did not took the time to add the animals spawn areas and resources areas, as i dont think it is necessary to understand the whole idea of the region.

1833676955_WendigoMountain.thumb.png.d710d627f784521b9d3b241badec8fc7.png

All the caves entrances lead to the same cave wich is under the mountain. (CA CB CC CD) (CA is special one, it is a vertical entrance to the cave)

i hope the Caption on the top isnt too small for you to see but i will try to explain em (lower there is the images that i use for inspiration to some parts of the cave )

The idea for the lower part of the cave is that it have been explored by the scientists where it says BaseCamp. Nobody knows how they died but what we know is that they were looking for rare Immense crystals that would form in that type of cavern (you would probably not know but im telling you :D). They sent multiple teams to explore the cavern but none of em returned. Some have returned, not alive thought...

(Lower part= bottom right, Higher part= Top left. you can also refer to the arrows that shows the higher spots.)

163362281_WendigoCavern.thumb.png.549b6b6d0cfee2f4e6cc24cd882c839b.png

The Brown part of the cave is a section where you can walk on Stone bridges like the ones you see lower (there is an image) but without water underneath, only the infinite darkness. who know what can hide there?  Imagine the feeling of throwing a torch down there and slowly watching it dissapearing in the far darkness.

The small purple dots represents the big crystals  that we can see in pictures lower. i think it would be nice to have some of these in this cave (not as many thought).

stonebridges.png.7fb0b14a38086cd06dc43aa936438499.pngwindigo-wendigo-675x420.jpg.28fec65d0114a2e8dd77db135bc088ef.jpg09706-feature1-cave.thumb.jpg.6a1559a43459555b871bd05bb76d20ab.jpg27213bdd3fcef997f2de656ad2b62f6d.jpg.69accf6d7f6240eb852c2a03373d181a.jpg

as you can probably see it is a cougar i think that they would be a nice addition and challenge for this cave region and i read in previous milton mailbags that raphael wanted to add em to the game he did not spoken about any dates though so i am not talking about it that long, this idea have been discussed quite a lot in the past.

I really think a cave region would add a lot to the game. i know too that if the devs want to do that, it will probably be the hardest region to build and it will take a lot of time. Probably more than hushed river valley. But i am still showing this idea beacause i do think the time invested could absolutely woth it if we end up with a region like this (it is technically 2 regions)

About the name of the region: The wendigo is a native american Tale they were humans that ate other humans in order to survive and they are now cursed they have been transformed in semi humans, semi animals they often live in remote regions exactly like those caves or great bear island. aslo there is a place called the wendigo waterfalls in Quebec that i know well. I am not suggesting this as new annimal but it could be nice though for a challenge or future haloween event

PS: If the devs or anybody else want to use my maps for inspiration or to modify em they can :) 

Edited by oplli
Many errors in the text :) , eh what do you want? IT IS SO BIIG !
  • Upvote 6

692208514_Wendigomoutainrevised.thumb.png.e649ff6c31ff8dffc68762f3ff88cd67.png

Here are my changes to the surface level. The biggest thing is that I removed the wendigo researchers since that really didn't make sense. Seeing as there wouldn't be any wendigos until the starvation and frost started to set in. Instead I largely replaced them with  the forest talkers. The note could be a argument between the forester (a forest talker sympathizer) and the forest talkers making plans on what to do with the bridge in desolation point out, with the body there have a knife in it. The one at forest talkers could about how they didn't stash enough food and going to need to raid the whaling plant and as a follow up to the note that location should have hardly any food or it doesn't make sense. From there make it clear the remaining men killed each other but, their was at least one survivor who is now gone. For a bonus touch make the corpses INSIDE half eaten. At the last Corner the note will speak about how he refuses to become one of those monsters how he would die before enacting their horrible deeds. Then position the revolver (or I just thought of this, climbing rope) in such away it's clear he committed suicided. In one of the northern camps leave a rabbit corps (like one a wolf leaves) in a place a wolf couldn't have left it. All these things will do wonders towards building anticipation to when the player ventures under ground. 

2 hours ago, RegentRelic said:

The biggest thing is that I removed the wendigo researchers.

In my original plan the researchers were the wendigos, they were there first to study the special rock formation inside the cave and they got trapped inside. They then becomed wendigo. i see why you got confused, the wendigo research facilitty isnt named to what they are studiying but by the place they are. I still think a reasearch camp is nice there. not a laboratory, only a camp where scientist go to collect what they want and then taking that back to the labs. the body in the camp outside got eaten by something too this is why i placed wolves inside. 

There is many things that i dont think is a great idea to place in this map (not to take personally I say this beacaus we don't want to end up with a map that is way to easy fo the player to survive :)) il make a list so we can discuss about it:

-The forest talkers dont have a propper base they act in the shadows and they do illegal things this is why i think it should be a research base there.

-There should be no millign machine in the research base as it is a remote place I dont think that would be great for the gameplay balance. Same fo the ammunition workbench. in the same place there a bit too much loot. loot has to be almot 100% in those caves and has to be scattered.

-there is too much sheltered places on this map. beacause there is a whole undeground region under there i think that the sheltered places should be minimized as much as possible. the forester cabin would become a poorly sheltered building and same for the trail shelter on the summit. (keeping the basement could be a nice thing though)

- I like the last corner idea and the collectibles scattered a bit everywhere on the map. it is a nice touch. beacause there is not so much loot in the last corner i would change the rope climbing spot by a succession of two climbing spot without rope so it is not completely wasteful in resources to ge there. this is one option but i think the best should be to make an interlopper flare gun spawn in the last corner and keep that big rope climb.

-for the connexion to the other region i think that this map sould be north of desolation point (connecting the right side of the road to DP) and connected to a future map between PV and WendigoM by the left side of the road) or it should be connected by road by the right side to BI and to BR by a cave somewhere near the forester cabin

1601453743_KaisTLDMapv2PNG.thumb.png.248e50d10cac2f66bd5415e39899afaf.png.c4f4e4bb2e3add5c85a92dae1ec63c7c.png

Please if you are making modifications, try to stick to the original desing beacause if others do modification after the map will be hard to read :) i appreciate that you give you opinion though thank you !

Edited by oplli
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, oplli said:

-There should be no millign machine in the research base as it is a remote place I dont think that would be great for the gameplay balance. Same fo the ammunition workbench. in the same place there a bit too much loot. loot has to be almot 100% in those caves and has to be scattered.

-there is too much sheltered places on this map. beacause there is a whole undeground region under there i think that the sheltered places should be minimized as much as possible. the forester cabin would become a poorly sheltered building and same for the trail shelter on the summit. (keeping the basement could be a nice thing though)

I didn’t add any shelters I just guarantied one that already had another next it. Also I this side of the map could use a milling machine. I changed the loot tables of the surface up because I am cutting down the caves. I also think that my plot makes more sense as a place to take Subnautica’s story. It does make sense that the radicals that are forest talkers were to raid a place such as the whaling plant they would set up in a place similar to the hunting Lodge first. Although for mine to work desalination point would have to be changed a bit. What I am thinking is to move the road to face more a little more north and then remove the ice at the cliff base.

In order to justify the researches we need something for them to research. Such as a solar anomaly That knocked out the power or a gamma wave. Just some thing. They could also serve as exposition.

Edited by RegentRelic

Here's my underground. I ended up going for more of a baron and haunting feel. With just less I also got ride of the crystal since I don't like adding assets. But, it's fine that you suggested them. Maybe more like the bioluminescent cave in episode three.1933499350_Wendigocavernrevised.png.3ab4cb1ea2229772f618bd0c79937725.png

Okay so I left one in but, I think that it might just a cool doodad.

Edited by RegentRelic
  • Upvote 1

On 11/2/2020 at 7:43 PM, Pierrotin Marmelade said:

The idea looks interesting it would be nice as a far region maybe the last region to have a road conected to? Upper north than mountain town or conected to pleasant valley ? 

Yes, if there is a road on that map it would make sense. but i am thinking more and more about it and on one side it makes more sense to have a road and on another side it makes more sense to make that region far away from civilisation.  I think that making buildings or camp in the cave make it interesting but i also think that a region with a cave system thats is that big should be far away and hardly accessible.

• 10 months later...
On 11/4/2020 at 11:32 PM, carbonpencil said:

The vertical cave entrance sounds cool. Imagine dropping in a flare only for the light disappear down the hole and then choosing to abseil down.

The stone bridges are kind of the same mood. inside the cave you have bridges with ifinite walls going down on the sides and we cant see the bottom. It is so far away that the light does not shine anymore when a torch hit the bottom