A few things to add - crow.

c r o w

- Scientific research of air pressure, radiation, snow fall/precipitation via either hand/made or gathered devices, and their user learned from books. 

- Placeable/moveable furniture for those who live in one place, or (may use as a laboratory. I.e. Lighthouse, desolation point.)

- Creating iceholes with either a drill or hatchet in ice. Ice fishing with tip-ups (ice fishing decides that are set out on a hole, and have a flag that "tips up" when a fish is caught on the line.) 

- More books, many bookish players exist - all in all, for this one, add generally more "useless" objects to the game that may have an actual hidden use.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, c r o w said:

- Scientific research of air pressure, radiation, snow fall/precipitation via either hand/made or gathered devices, and their user learned from books. 

- Placeable/moveable furniture for those who live in one place, or (may use as a laboratory. I.e. Lighthouse, desolation point.)

- Creating iceholes with either a drill or hatchet in ice. Ice fishing with tip-ups (ice fishing decides that are set out on a hole, and have a flag that "tips up" when a fish is caught on the line.) 

- More books, many bookish players exist - all in all, for this one, add generally more "useless" objects to the game that may have an actual hidden use.

1- I dont think the long dark is the game for science. what would it be useful for?

2- It would be nice to be able to move the furnitures that we have in the game already i think that it would be a great step.

3- it would be nice on the paper but in game no. The game is made so we cannot stay in one region indefinitely. we have to move. Beacause there is water in (i think all) regions being able to make iceholes everywhere = infinite source of food with no danger. 

4- There cannot be more books without new skills, so I say YES ! 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, oplli said:

1- I dont think the long dark is the game for science. what would it be useful for?

I completely agree with @oplli on this one. It would be of little practical use for an average survivalist.

Unless it would somehow affect the survivors ability to comprehend in-game changes of weather or aurora and its effects on electrical devices, and so on. I would like if it was a book that is very rare and limited to some certain spots of the map, but there would always be one. Its research would give a player some insight into how to predict weather or aurora, with a high margin of failure. However, the fact that the game is in itself a bit of a game of chance and you can with some margin of error predict weather in the presence, I dont think it would be a very liked feature. I would not be against it, but I dont think it brings that much to the game.

2- It would be nice to be able to move the furnitures that we have in the game already i think that it would be a great step.

I completely agree with you both. It would be quite nice if one could fix up the broken furniture, move it around the place and clean up all the trash that is often found inside the structures. Removing dead bodies from the inside (could be replaced with a backpack or a plastic or metal container afterwards to keep the inventory space), and so on. it would be a nice quality of life and something to strive towards once you are in a good space from the perspective of survival neccesities.

3- it would be nice on the paper but in game no.

I once again agree with @oplli here. My main issue is that it would remove an element of difficulty because it would allow fishing in places where there is no option for that. However, what I do like as an idea is to have more placed "in-game" fishing holes that would not be located inside fishing huts but would be out in the open. So you could break them and fish there, but if the elements changed drastically, you would lose a lot of heat or even condition if you werent careful. This could be achieved if fishing time would be set-speed like when you are "waiting" instead of resting. No matter how long you wait, the time is being skipped in the same speed. With fishing, if you select to fish for a long time, it degrades faster.

All in all, i dont think that you should be able to fish everywhere, but I like the idea of fishing outside the huts in a pre-destined areas.

On 10/25/2020 at 12:39 AM, c r o w said:

Fully agree with you both. Although I dont think there is anything such as "useless" item within the game. I think a player should have an option to read a book as a way of "researching" the usual books with stories, and this could be used to lower down cabin fever risk as you are "doing a task" which is reading a story. 

Edited by Mroz4k
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, oplli said:

This is slightly off topic but science(the scientific method) is the acquisition of verifiable knowledge. Whether that is quantum mechanics or finding the best places to snare rabbits. Science is always useful.

1 hour ago, odizzido said:

This is slightly off topic but science(the scientific method) is the acquisition of verifiable knowledge. Whether that is quantum mechanics or finding the best places to snare rabbits. Science is always useful.

Then what science could be done in the game to be enough interesting?

21 minutes ago, oplli said:

Then what science could be done in the game to be enough interesting?

There are a few posts on the forum which used science to help make better choices. One was the wolf struggle one which looked at which weapons were most effective in melee fights with wolves, there was another recent one with fishing, and a similar one with rabbit snaring.

As to actually in game mechanics with science I don't think the game is realistic enough to really benefit. At least not with anything I can think of. There probably are ones but I am not able to think of them right now.

Rather moving furniture i would like to get choice "Clean house", where you get an harvested all furniture in house. Total time and calories is addition of all particular items able to be harvested (+ some fee, like 15 % as moving and resting). It could same player time, when he needs a lot of reclaimed wood.

4 hours ago, Mr. 0 said:

i would like to get choice "Clean house", where you get an harvested all furniture in house. Total time and calories is addition of all particular items able to be harvested (+ some fee, like 15 % as moving and resting). It could same player time, when he needs a lot of reclaimed wood

I think thats a bad idea, the Clean house mechanic should not clean the furniture, only papers bowls (broken wheel?) electric wires clothes dead appliances etc. not the furniture. what can you use an empty house for? i would liek to stockpile items on the table and shelves etc

16 hours ago, Omnijack said:

I think MR. 0 is meaning: An option to dismantle all furniture in the house eg.

11 hours, 2350 Calories.... gain 31 reclaimed wood, 5 cloth.

for when you want to destroy all furniture in one go.

Yeah, I think @oplli understood that, and just as me, he doesn't want to do that.
Maybe we do want to do that, to houses we don't want to stay in, but mostly, we'd actually just like to clean up the trash, and relocate tables and chairs, to use them to organize our stuff

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Omnijack said:

I think MR. 0 is meaning: An option to dismantle all furniture in the house eg.

11 hours, 2350 Calories.... gain 31 reclaimed wood, 5 cloth.

for when you want to destroy all furniture in one go.

I dont think it is a great idea. again It minimize the gameplay and wouldnt be that useful in stalker and higher difficulty. What i mean by minimalizing the gameplay is that it would all be in a menu and i prefer the ol' method that we already have that is the same than what you are suggesting but with better controll on the time and the resources you have

Edited by oplli

On 10/25/2020 at 5:42 PM, oplli said:

I dont think the long dark is the game for science. what would it be useful for?

I agree with your other responses, and appreciate them. What I mean to imply is, that some humans will often not go about their days in the wilderness without attempting to comprehend it in some fashion---or rather, they get bored and do basic measurements of something (i.e., the colorado(?) man who lived in the wilderness for decades and measured snow fall). I say that, especially since the game lore is centred on a geomagnetic disaster, which causes an EMP-like effect in the globe---there is a scientific element to the game---and unless I am mistaken, one of the characters in Wintermute has a doctorate, which does set even more of an old-world feel, the tattered remnants of society.  Science isn't limited to professors and sci-fi, science is simply a different approach to understanding the world---and does not need to be overstated---but, it is part of the tattered remains of society, and just as the old lantern is lit in the darkness of an old mine, science can do just the same (metaphorically.)

The main implication was to provide more content, or "things to do or keep track of" in-game. More goals---more reasons for a sandbox player to continue playing one character, and not make seven, and finally get bored with the game, as good as The Long Dark is. 

I do think there should be a practical use---what that may be, I do not know. 

Edited by c r o w
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, c r o w said:

and finally get bored with the game, as good as The Long Dark is. 

I understand what you mean, i usually get bored at the long dark after on or two month of play and then i play again six month later for another two month :D 

• Like 1