Developer Diary

ChillPlayer

I was googling for an audio bit that was refered to in another thread an stumbled upon these two videos. For original backers this might be old news (the videos where posted in 2013) but for rather new players like myself, these two videos are just... WOW ;) Not only do we meet the staff behind TLD, we also hear and see what their vision for TLD is and where they take there inspiration from.

For some reason I couldn't find them in this forum so I decided to shared them here. I had planed this evening to continue with Wolfenstein but after watching these videos, frag it, I have to start a new sandbox :D

[bBvideo 560,340:2ru71254]

[/bBvideo]

[bBvideo 560,340:2ru71254]

[/bBvideo]

@Hinterland: if you can find the time anywhere, please release more videos of this kind with different topics maybe of a more recent nature, like what your vision for the new released map is or what your views on the hottest topic right now - wolves - are. I think it would be very much appreciated by the fans and it might shift peoples opinion.

WOW!! AMAZING!! STUNNING!!

Sorry for the big caps,but this had to be written with them.When I was watching these two videos,I simply was without words and I consumed every single detail and word in videos.I can tell you...if I would be still sceptical about TLD game before,with this,what I just saw,you guys definately bought me. :D

Altough I realy love this game,I changed again my wholle oppinion about it.I see the game with different look now.I understand now all your efforts,you put in game,I can see all your love.And I can se,how great team work is comming out from your team.

I completely and fully agree with ChillPlayer.You guys should release more videos like this.To bring game and its core idea closer to players.Players will start thinking about game in right way,then.

Altough this video is old,it still made huge impression on me.Great work,guys.And,most of all I like that I had chance to know the team in live speach.It is completely different thing if you know a memeber of team only by his posts in forums and by his avatar picture.To know the real person,that is what it counts more.With video like this,you made yourself closer to community.

Thanks for posting this, Chill! I hadn't seen those videos before and it was great to hear the dev team talk about their vision for the game.

On a related note, I definitely want to praise Dave Chan's audio work in this game. Here's one great example that really stands out:

I was watching one of Accurize's videos of a Stalker run in Pleasant Valley, where he reached a dead end on the main road. There was an abandoned car at the spot and cliffs shoot up on three sides around the player. Accurize checked the contents of the car and, when he emerged, the car door closed and you could hear the sound echo off the surrounding rock cliffs--the sound changed because of the details of that particular environment! It was awesome.

That kind of attention to detail is just amazing and is a big part of why I enjoy this game so much. Great job!

--Gibbon

And,most of all I like that I had chance to know the team in live speach.

Before I've watched those videos I was certain that Raph is a Bear :D

I just don't understand why hinterland did not put the videos up here, it is still a very good advertisement for the game and people who threw away the game because they didn't understand it, might want to reconsider after watching.

And I had the same feeling of "Wow" like you Denyo and Gibbon, I'm sure that's the reaction of every fan who missed the clips and watches them for the first time.

There have been a number of posts previously linking to the videos and such, but then again a lot of newer players simply don't tend to read through or look for many of the origins stories. Raph has also done a lot of early podcasts discussing the concepts, plans, expansions, challenges, and progressions within the game.

The Press Release section of the forum contains a lot of incredibly informative material... here are some links from the past posts if interested:

"For those who haven't heard it yet, Videogame BANG! did an audio interview with Hinterland's Rafael.

(if you want to jump straight to the TLD interview, its starts at 1:31:43 in the audio clip)"

PODCAST: http://tinyurl.com/pts4xs4

FROM: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=124&p=1522&hilit=podcast#p1522

Principled U Podcast - (PUPodcast #133)

"Great long interview (over 35 minutes) with Raphael, originally recorded just before the end of the KS campaign. It covers a lot of the concepts, behind the scenes details, a multitude of approaches and challenges, and even a big appreciation and shout-out for all the backers. "

Note: The main interview begins at approximately the 3 minute mark...

PODCAST: http://tinyurl.com/kpjuqff

FROM: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=124&p=2499&hilit=podcast#p2499

Plus10Damage (Feb 19, 2014) - [Hinterland Interviews starts at the 28:30 mark of podcast]

THE PLUS 10 PODCAST EP. 089: THE LONG DARK INTERVIEW

"Raphael is the creative director on The Long Dark from Hinterland Games. During the second segment Raphael van Lierop spills many beans, but not all, in discussing his crowd-funded project. He also stays on for our questions in segment three. Plus he thinks we are cool."

Personal Note: Excellent podcast. Really worthwhile to listen to... a lot more descriptive approaches to the gameplay explained.

PODCAST: http://tinyurl.com/mc6jzav

FROM: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=124&p=2513&hilit=podcast#p2513

[bBvideo 560,340:30ozzver]

[/bBvideo]

KICKSTARTER:

Then there's a ton of info on the original Kickstarter page... read through the "Comments" section to see how incredibly interactive and receptive the devs and studio team have been since the very start - and (for a lot of forgotten background info) read through the KS "Updates" pages to learn about so many of the plans put in place right from the start

http://tinyurl.com/ke2pjy9

YouTube:

You can also scroll down to more of the earliest interviews, behind-the-scenes type videos, and early concept material on the Hinterland YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/hinterlandgames

And just because it's so fascinating to see how far the game has already developed, watch a video of the very first publicly released footage of the game's Prototype gameplay

[bBvideo 560,340:30ozzver]

[/bBvideo]

You can also find compilations of some of the early press releases, interviews, and game discussion links here:

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=124

And some of the main early long time player video collections, as originally posted here:

ACCURIZE2: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=680

LMG: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=748

Hey,Bill!! You"re still alive? ;):D I must say I missed your great comments and was already wondering,where are you and if anything happened to you.Glad to read you,mate. :) And,thanx for all those posts.I could not get asleep last night,before I watched all of the videos and audio. :)

Hey,Bill!! You"re still alive? ;):D I must say I missed your great comments and was already wondering,where are you and if anything happened to you.Glad to read you,mate. :) And,thanx for all those posts.I could not get asleep last night,before I watched all of the videos and audio. :)

*lol* Thanks - yeah, I'm still here... but Raph has requested that I let the Community Managers answer posts with official responses, so I've backed off from most of the forum and live stream Q&A posting now.

*lol* Thanks - yeah, I'm still here... but Raph has requested that I let the Community Managers answer posts with official responses, so I've backed off from most of the forum and live stream Q&A posting now.

Don't back off to much we miss you Bill.

Surely Raph didn't mean you shouldn't partake in the discussions at all, did he?

Surely Raph didn't mean you shouldn't partake in the discussions at all, did he?

No, but I respect his reason for wanting the Community Manager to be responsible for responding to all the questions so that there's no confusion as to the source providing official responses. Ryan is also responsible for all the forum decisions and maintaining the community, so with him responsible to answer all user discussions and questions, there shouldn't be any more confusion as to the information. It's simply time to stand aside so that they can do their job. 8-)

No, but I respect his reason for wanting the Community Manager to be responsible for responding to all the questions so that there's no confusion as to the source providing official responses. Ryan is also responsible for all the forum decisions and maintaining the community, so with him responsible to answer all user discussions and questions, there shouldn't be any more confusion as to the information. It's simply time to stand aside so that they can do their job. 8-)

But still,you can help many of us with your experiences in game as well as expert in software and hardware,or any other computer related topics.Authorised or not,you still are valuable helper for many of us.If not about official stuff,then about other ingame tips and such things.If you ask me,I know I will still search for any needed help or tips from you sometimes.Things which are non officiall,of course.:-)

We believe in you. :D

And,most of all I like that I had chance to know the team in live speach.

Before I've watched those videos I was certain that Raph is a Bear :D

I just don't understand why hinterland did not put the videos up here, it is still a very good advertisement for the game and people who threw away the game because they didn't understand it, might want to reconsider after watching.

And I had the same feeling of "Wow" like you Denyo and Gibbon, I'm sure that's the reaction of every fan who missed the clips and watches them for the first time.

Gibbon you are so right about the sound. I had just entered Carter dam yesterday and of course I know Fluffy would be very hungry after having been locked up in the very creepy dank concrete hole. As soon as I came in the first door I side slipped left, crouched down on my haunches and waited, grabbing a drink of water and a bite to eat...rifle at the ready. Just as I chew my last bit of jerky in comes to great big green eyes..coming straight for his fresh meal. Please may my shot be true and straight and may I not hear the dull thud of a bad prime...bam....and Fluffy as taken his last breath....and the best part of all.....that shot reverberated through out the concrete room and I swear the ringing sound was so damn real...I felt the ring pulsating in my ears and as I have shot from tight enclosures before...this sound was so stunning... I loved it. Very impressive Mr. Chan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Here's another really neat little video that Hinterland released, gives some hint to the kinds of moral dilemmas that we may have to face in the story mode game:

[bBvideo 560,340:3cwqswtp]

[/bBvideo]

You did noticed what was hanging on the wall (at 0:51 min), right next to the door on that cabin?

;)

I wish we could get some of those on Sandbox mode and test them on bears...

....and the best part of all.....that shot reverberated through out the concrete room and I swear the ringing sound was so damn real...I felt the ring pulsating in my ears and as I have shot from tight enclosures before...this sound was so stunning... I loved it. Very impressive Mr. Chan.

I tried to shot inside Farmstead and that ringing sound and muffled footsteps were the best. Good work Hinterland.

Archived