Hushed River Valley

Ahatch

7 hours ago, peteloud said:

For people who have played literally thousands of hours and know all of the maps it is a relatively easy memory game.

you'd think by now I would be intimately familiar with the region...  

nope, not me!  like I said, it's the least visited map of any of my previous explorations.  I typically only go there for the moose satchel and honestly only have acquired it on three other visits.  And usually after that my survival effort is all about getting the hell outta there!

wish me luck...

Before this run I played it on Pilgrim for an hour way back when they first released then after died there on interloper starts because I didn't know where to go LOL . I either froze to death or got killed by bear, moose or wolf before I could figure it out.  I'm starting a Voyageur run on Bleak Inlet for a 50 day run (so no visit to the cannery as no start points by the tower. Should be equally or more difficult. 

Spent the better part of the afternoon playing in HRV.

so far the single biggest issue has been finding good warm clothing.  at least being scantily clad does allow for maximum sprint speeds, lol.  
region however has been fairly generous in the loot department, lots of medicinal plants, fire wood and random chunks of coal all over.  Plenty of carcasses,
found a moose carcass on day one, but lack the means to harvest anyways, but noted the location.  

Question:  do ice caves always transition from one section to another or can they just have a single ingress/egress and a circular design?  
I went in one thinking I'd come out somewhere else but ended back at the entrance that I had originally entered.  gotta say the loot was right good for the effort!  So did 
I just make a wrong turn in there somewhere?  

Also since you can't fabricate anything, is it a waste of time to harvest birch and maple saplings?  By now I have a bow, 2 arrows and one arrowhead.  go figure...
And what about animal hides?  Is it worth the time and exposure to harvest a pelt if you cannot craft clothing?  I'll still do it to pimp out my "mancave" but is it worth the effort?

I'm at day 17 now, armed,  well fed satiated (found a 40kilo moose carcass) and sporting a newly acquired moose satchel.  Still cold all the time with a blizzard every other day.
At least ole Astrid is a good shot with the revolver...

Once you loot the whole map your cloths situation should be good. Food will be the issue early on and the fact you have the bow should help a lot with that. There are places on the map where the wolves are ways back and you can't hunt deer safely. 

11 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

do ice caves always transition from one section to another or can they just have a single ingress/egress and a circular design?

There are two ice caves with three exits each. They are linear, but it's possible to get turned around when looking around. There are some dead-end side passages

11 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

Also since you can't fabricate anything, is it a waste of time to harvest birch and maple saplings? 

In a normal game you don't stay there forever, so birch is certainly worth it.

--------------------

In general saying that a region is pointless because you don't need anything from there is a bit silly. By that logic most regions are pointless on lower difficulties as everything exists in abundance. You visit new regions because they are there. Same reason people climb mountains. You get a change of scenery and a new challenge. Loot is nice, but it's not what the game is about

3 hours ago, Serenity said:

In general saying that a region is pointless because you don't need anything from there is a bit silly. 

Don't go putting words in my mouth that I didn't say.
No where did I say the region was "pointless" those are your words... 

What I said was "I just don't see the allure that the region has for players considering all the things that you cannot do especially given the absolute abundance of natural resources and the relative supply of gear that is lootable given the voyager difficulty parameters."