Astrid's Quiet Dawn

Day 1 I arrived in Great Bear Island, or I should say, crash landed.  There was some electric problems with the plane and most of the wreckage was scattered out. Luckily, my seat had an emergency ejection with a parachute so I wasn't too harmed, but all of my stuff is missing and where I landed is windy and freezing.   Hopefully the pilot is alright as I was not able to see where the plane went or the pilot. I landed in what seemed to be a landslide, and thought it might be a good idea to find someone or some shelter or something before I freeze to death.  I walked for what seemed like ages, finding little tools here and there.  I finally found a cliff and could see some smoke in the distance. Could that have been the plane?  As I continued walking, trying to keep the smoke in my mind's eye, I began to feel like the cliffs and the waterfalls seemed familiar, and then I remembered. . . .

Dear Astrid,

It's March 1st, 20XX and I finally have some time to sit and write a letter.  It's been very busy since arriving here in early February.  I had made it to a small town called Milton, set in the Mountains on Great Bear Island.  It's a quaint little town.  The kind of town that seems very backwater, and neighbours helping neighbours.  A real wholesome town. The school is a one room classroom for all ages and the older kids are more expected to help at the farm then going to school. 

I found lodgings with an elderly woman by the name of Grey Mother and her daughter Lilith who is meant to be my guide for the area. Lilith is quiet and very nice.  She is very knowledgeable about the surrounding area and about mountaineering. I might just be able to get this surveying done quicker than expected.  Grey Mother stays inside mostly, usually with her rifle in arm's reach, rocking in her chair next to the fire.  She may be blind, and a bit rough around the edges, calling me "Outsider", but after a few caught rabbits and deer, she has started to warm up to me. Making rabbit stew for us with what I caught, and Astrid, It was SO good. You have got to come here in the summer and try it. She warmed up to me so much she would send me on errands for her, to the bank, the post office and to the gas station which is the only other place to buy supplies in this town.  She even gave me some of her husband's mountain gear which included a heavy duty Moose Satchel that allowed me to carry more items, but without feeling like I was carrying that much more weight.  This will be useful for the gear I need to carry to survey, plus Lilith recommended we carry some rifles and ammo for our trip to Hushed River Valley.  "Just in case we run into any wildlife," Lilith had said. "Not to mention we need some warm clothing. That region is quite windy, we'll need to be prepared."  But not much could have prepared us. . . .but anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself . . .we made it to Hushed River Valley just fine.

We had a small team with us to help carry supplies and there was a lot of wildlife and plants so we could stay relatively well fed and warm. The region had a lower, ground level area, and then cliffs to help navigate to the highest plateau of the region.  It was stressful at times, but as we were reaching one of the areas marked for surveying, a few of the men tried to make off with our supplies and a struggle ensued.  Lilith . .Lilith ended up getting knocked back over the cliff, but was able to hold on to the rope.  I wasn't close enough, and I yelled for the ones who were to help her.  They didn't and I was getting worried, so I took my revolver and shot it in the air.  The other men, they started running, ignoring mine and Lilith's pleas. At this time the winds had picked up, and Lilith's screams had become more desperate. I ran over to her to try and pull her up.  The rope, it had twisted around one of her legs, pulling it tight enough to severely cut into her leg.  I could see the blood, and realized we may not have enough to stop the bleeding. 

With what supplies were left, I took Lilith to a cave nearby and started a fire.  Lilith said, start a signal fire, someone might see it and come looking before passing out.  I did as she asked, and made sure it was big and strong enough to not blow out from the wind. I set my moose satchel down and pulled out a book, but I couldn't read it.  I checked on Lilith who was looking very pale and checked her wound.  She would be alright if we got found soon.  But...it took a couple days due to the wind picking up so badly. Even going out for firewood and food was scary.  And on the day we were rescued, maybe a minute, or an hour or a moment before we were, Lilith had died.  I ended up leaving the supplies; we had to concentrate on getting Lilith back to Grey Mother.  When I had told Grey Mother the news of what had happened, we had found out a couple of the men were convicts from Blackrock Prison and the rest were men from Milton who scurried back to their homes like cowards.  Grey Mother didn't say much, about Lilith's death, only mentioned the Moose Satchel. I promised her I would get it back for her, but she said no. That I was not to go back out there.  I think Grey Mother . .I grew on her . .and she didn't want another death so soon.  We had a nice ceremony for Lilith, however, Grey Mother, she began to worry me. "Why did no one help her?"  She would say this several times in the day. Until one day, she said it was time for me to stop worrying about her and move on. There was more surveying to do and it was important for Great Bear that it got done.  That she didn't trust anyone else to do this, and so I started making preparations to move to .......(illegible text).

Regards,

Will Mackenzie

That's right, Mackenzie had drawn a picture of the Hushed Valley River region.  There would, hopefully still be supplies, and that moose satchel.  I just gotta find it before I freeze to death.

Day 7 - I was not able to find the signal fire, but I am determined to come back and find it, once I am better prepared. I found many dead deer, not too many wolves, and was able to not starve or completely freeze.  I came across a cave and realized it wasn't shallow like the rest, and it didn't look like an ice cave.  Could this be the way to the Mountain Town???  I trekked my way through and came across a road.  I walked for what seemed like ages and found a car, and then several more, all abandoned.  I found some food and clothing to keep me going, but some of the trunks wouldn't open.  I walked further and found a cave...

Day 12 - There was a snow storm and I ended up getting turned around and found a small plane crash. I was able to get some supplies and found a cave to spend the night before heading back out to Milton.  I finally arrived at a radio tower and saw the town below.  It seemed devoid of life and what looked to be ruined buildings.  There must be people still.  I got down from the cliff and followed the path to a home on a hill that looked just like the one Mackenzie sent me of Grey Mother's. However, when I knocked, no one answered the door.  It was getting cold, so I tried the knob and the door swung open.  I looked around the room and noticed the fallen down rocking chair, the bullets in the wall and overturned furniture . .what happened here?

Edited by LumiStylesTTV
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Day 14 - I have started checking the homes here in this small town, even went to the bank and post office. Furniture was overturned and some broken glass.  It seemed like people left in a hurry, but where did they go?  No one was at Grey Mother's home,  no one anywhere.  A few wolves around that I've taken to avoiding as I go into each home.   I see some homes boarded up or just looks like they were completely caved in and not for the first time I wondered what happened here...

I started taking what supplies I could and brought them to Grey Mother . .also getting real handy with mending clothing and feeling warmer than I did 2 weeks ago.  Except I still haven't found a gun, just ammo.  Even raided the gas station on the off chance I could find a rifle or something, but no such like. I feel almost ready to go back to Hushed River Valley.  But I want to finish checking the town on the off chance I can find someone who can tell me what happened here.  I also ventured out to what looks to be the schoolhouse. It was burnt down to the ground.  Why?  I see discarded clothes, shoes, glasses, and a frozen corpse. Before I could think too much about it, I saw a farm house in the distance. Surely someone would be there. 

I grabbed some supplies and my cured guts and deerskin and made for the farm house.  It was eerily quiet on the walk over and when I initially tried the door it was locked.  I started calling out and knocking on the door but the only living being to answer my call was a couple of wolves. I looked around quickly and found a tractor.  I sent a small pray that the tractor was not locked and got inside, the wolves nipping at my heels. I took a few calming breaths as the wolves circled the vehicle.  Once I calmed down, I checked the tractor and there on the floor was the key, must be the house key.  Hopefully the wolves get bored soon.  I took another look around and notice a workbench.  That should come in handy.

Once I noticed that the wolves had given up, I made my way to the house and got inside without any further incident. Taking a quick glance around, I found the bed slept til morning.  When I woke up, I did a better look around the homestead.  Still no rifle, but after a quick breakfast I peeked out the door and upon seeing no wolves, made it over to the shed? and began looking around.  A few good finds, including some blueprints to make some deerskin boots and pants, which should be warm enough for Hushed River Valley.  Also made some fishing tackle and snares.  I didn't see any places to fish, but there was some rabbits, so the snares will be useful.  It's been a long few days, I think it would be a good idea to sleep and think about my next move . ."I don't think I can carry this gear for much longer..."

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Day 28 - It's getting harder to mark the days, especially with all of the Howling.  The Wind . . .it howls . . .the wolves . . .howling, howling, howling . .closer and closer.  But I keep pushing further and further.  I have to . .I realize I am so utterly alone.  I have not met a single person.  I spent the last fortnight roaming around this Mountain Town, avoiding wolves and checking each last home.  I finally found myself a rifle, but with limited bullets I need something better, and then I remembered a letter Mackenzie sent me . . .

Dear Astrid,

It's February 4th, 20XX and I had just arrived in Great Bear Island. I was giving a helicopter tour of the island as it was a nice clear winter day.  This was to help me have an aerial view of each region before I make my way to my lodgings in Milton with an elderly woman and her daughter who is meant to be my guide.  I had glanced down at what looks to be a bog or a marsh land.  I asked the pilot and he said, "That is Forlorn Muskeg, not much there, except for Old Spence's Homestead. His Descendants keep the forge going.  We can drop down since the weather is being kind for you to have a look; they make some mighty fine bows and arrows. Loads less weight then hiking through with guns."  

I've never had a bow and arrow before, but the less weight to carry was ideal, especially since most of the island seems like a lot of trekking, and through high altitudes. I agreed and we set down for me to purchase some bows and arrows.  With that done, we made our way to Milton.  I probably won't be able to write another letter for awhile, but I'll give you the address of where I am staying when I get it and I will try and call as soon as I can. 

Mackenzie

Forlorn Muskeg, and Mackenzie had shown me a survey he had done that Forlorn Muskeg connects to Milton via the Milton Basin. He told me there was a cave and a hermit who lived there. A crotchety old man who sent him to the cave to sleep than his cabin.  Mackenzie had only gone as far as Marsh Ridge, but said that the Old Homestead was on the opposite side past the rail tracks.  I made my way into the cave, picking up the mountaineering rope, but deciding to leave it as was to cumbersome for me and I figured it would have better uses when I go back to Hushed River Valley.  After getting lost in a fog and falling in the freezing cold water twice, I made it to what could only be Old Spence's.  It was the only building around.  Unfortunately, it didn't look as though anyone was here and the rail tracks were broken with a wreckage I had seen.  Regardless, as I entered the structure I saw the forge and some coal lying around. As I was looking around I saw weird lights in the sky . .an aurora?  It seemed more eerie in person and I quickly turned away and surveyed more of the place I was calling home for the night.  I found the bed in a loft like area and put some planks against it to walk up. As I was about to settle in, I heard wolves howling in the distance. I quickly pulled up the planks and tried to block out the constant howls.

Day break happened quite quickly it seemed, and I was relieved that it was clear day and I was alive.  I went about searching the area and found the hammer to help with making the arrowheads as well as the blueprint for it. After a few tries I was able to make a decent amount of arrowheads.  I had spent the entire day working the forge and would set back out to Milton in the morning. As I was about to fall asleep, strange lights appeared in the sky again, and the howling began . . .

TBC

• Upvote 1

Day 32 - I made it back to Milton with no further issues, stopping at the cave in Milton Basin and picking up the cured sticks I left there. I knew my stop would be at Paradise Meadows Farm so I could get my bow and arrow made. I also found a brand new expedition parka. I should be more than ready to head to Hushed River Valley. 

Day  42 - I gathered supplies and my bow and arrows to make the trek to Hushed River Valley. Hushed River Valley was just as confusing, but I can armed with Mackenzie's map he drew and left at Grey Mother's.  After travelling for a few days, I was able to figure out how to get to the signal fire. And right there was the moose satchel and some more wonderful supplies.  I also noticed a dead body near by. He looked to have been shot, but MacKenzie never mentioned anyone else dying, he was placed out of the way. MacKenzie, what didn't you mention? Did you kill a man and hid the body in plain sight? Eroded by the elements? Why?

After getting the satchel and spending the night  I decided to do some exploring and made my way to Monolith Lake which had a Lake Cave near by. There seemed to have been a struggle between man and wolf. The wolf looked to have been eaten a bit and the man didn't appear to have any wounds, a few scratches maybe.  I tried some of the meat, about .08 kg of it and felt sick. I threw away the rest of the meat, but the wolf pelt will be nice once cured and there was a second one in the cave as well with 2 cured guts. I decided to make the Lake Cave home for a bit, as there are rabbits nearby, before I decide to keep looking around the valley.

• Upvote 1

Day 50 - I realized I had a lot of supplies, but not a lot of food and Mackenzie had obviously left months ago.  I had wishfully thought maybe he would be here, or someone would know where he was, but after spending 50 days by myself, I realize that I am truly alone.  I had even tried to look for the pilot that took me here, but I couldn't see any more of the wreckage and I could not find the pilot.  I hope he ended up somewhere more populated then where I was.

I left Hushed Valley River, leaving some supplies behind, because I realize, even with the satchel, I was far too encumbered to climb up and down ropes.  Once back in Milton, I set my wolf, rabbit and deer pelts to cure as well as the guts. Spending a few days making arrows, mitts, snares and mending my clothes, I knew it was time to leave Milton, but where would I go...

Dear Astrid,

It's April 3rd, 20XX, and I can not be more happy than to see the snow melt and the island get warmer.  It's like the island is waking up again after a long dark sleep.  Sure it's not as thriving as it used to be, but it still seems like an alright spot, even with some of the issues that the place has.  But anyway, I wanted to let you know I am headed to Mystery Lake.  There is a trapper by the name of Jeremiah who is going to help me out with surveying. He is a crass man, who marched me over to the Camp Office when I arrived.  He seems like an alright man, definitely prefers his solitude and after giving him his space, and not asking too many personal questions we got down to business . . .

Day 60 - Mystery Lake was where I made my way to after catching some food and gathering what supplies I could.  I do remember Mackenzie saying there was some climbing areas, so I was glad to see the ropes were still in place and in good condition.  I found an old Homestead with a note left behind.  I think this was the Trapper's Homestead, from the drawing Mackenzie sent me.  No one was here either, but I was hoping that maybe, just maybe, someone was here.  I decided that since the Homestead was not far from Milton I would start bringing my supplies to this region and travel to Hushed River Valley.  It will likely take a few days making the several trips, but for now I am exhausted hauling most of my pelts to my new home.  I'm not looking forward to getting the rest.

Day 69 - I've been lugging items back and forth from Milton to the homestead and starting setting myself up.  It took over a week to do so.  I ended up getting very sick walking through some of the storms and sleeping in a cave.  I drank some tea and grabbed some painkillers and slept most of it off, but I feel there is nothing left in Milton for me and while I left some supplies in Hushed River Valley, I think I have more than enough to get me through. I spent a few days catching rabbits outside the house and tidying up the homestead.  It looks like a good base . .I can't call it a home.  This place can not be my home.  I just need to find Mackenzie and get out of here.  Where are you Mackenzie?

I might try the Camp Office and I do believe Mackenzie said a Train ran through here. There is also cabins, a logging area and a watch tower. I think the Carter Dam is here as well from what I can remember of Mackenzie writing to me. Once I feel better I will check these places out and I should be able to find some signs of life.

Day 77 - I have been to the Camp Office, the cabins, the fishing huts and the watch tower. Why are there no people here?  Where did everyone go?  The train was derailed, the Cabins and Camp Office look like no one has been there for ages and I just don't understand.  It seems like Mystery Lake is just as abandoned as Milton.  I have a few more places to check, but then where do I go from here?  If only the phones worked or I could find someone who could help me.  I guess in the morning I check the logging camp and check the rest of the area for people before I move on, but where?

• Like 1