"Accelerate Time" key

ajb1978

A key binding that when held down accelerates time by a variable amount (player determined).  2x, 3x, 10x, whatever.  While this key is held down, time passes that much faster.  This means you can cover distances more quickly in real-time, while still being subject to the same thirst, hunger, and fatigue costs. And if you happen to blunder into a wolf or a bear, fall through some ice, stumble off a cliff, etc. while moving at super speed, well that's on you.  Guess you should've been more careful.

Call it a quality of life improvement for the player.  The character and game world aren't affected at all, it just means if we're trying to cross large swaths of terrain, we as a player don't have to stare blankly at the screen for 10 minutes.  A sort of Fast Travel, but placing the responsibility of fast traveling safely squarely on the player.

Now that the "world" is a lot bigger than it used to be, I could see a need for this.  Even in Pilgrim mode, it's gotta be 8 hours+ of real time just in travel from Hushed River Valley to Desolation Point.  I've never actually done that, might be an idea just to suit up in Pilgrim and give it a go, both for timing, and to see if I can.  Back in 2015 it was definitely a lot easier traveling across the "world" so to speak.  Not so much now.

I played with a time accelerator like this....and ended up not liking it at all. It's one of those ideas that you think will be cool, but then, it spoils the game. Just like many players think a jump button is a good idea..but there is really no need for it once you have it...and the binoculars too...the novelty wears off fast. I honestly see very few players actually enjoying this function. You could still try it out on an older modded version of the game ( I think ) just to see what it's like :)

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Willbonney said:

Now that the "world" is a lot bigger than it used to be, I could see a need for this.  Even in Pilgrim mode, it's gotta be 8 hours+ of real time just in travel from Hushed River Valley to Desolation Point.  I've never actually done that, might be an idea just to suit up in Pilgrim and give it a go, both for timing, and to see if I can.  Back in 2015 it was definitely a lot easier traveling across the "world" so to speak.  Not so much now.

It's not 8 hours to go from anywhere to anywhere else, except maybe in Dead Man when you have to stop and take care of yourself while travelling.

That said, "Challenge Accepted!"

I'll set up a new Pilgrim game and make the trip. Will report back. Probably won't be for a week or so due to other commitments...

I think there is a point to traveling far in The Long dark - the road itself is an adventure. I get that sometimes, especially if you are dragging a lot of gear from A to B, it may not be very fun experience if its repetitive. But that is the game, and in itself that discourages from hoarding which in my opinion is only a good thing.  Also, it would not be very immersive if you ask me, and less immersion is not really a good thing.

While I myself am not a big fan of the idea, I dont really mind it. If it is in the game, I can simply chose not to use it (although I think I would be tempted in some cases), but I would prefer development is focused on other things instead.

Would make for a very good mod once official mods are a thing.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...