Sherri

Looking For Game Recommendations

I figured this is the best place to ask for additional game recs that will scratch that same itch as TLD. Lets see what y'all got for me....

- I love vast exploration. That discovery of something new around the next corner.

- I enjoy crafting within reason & improving my character.

- I need a decent story & prefer set goals/quests - I'm at my happiest in TLD when playing Wintermute for this reason, I feel a bit aimless in Survival sandboxes.

- I enjoy building things a-la Minecraft, or just setting up a cool base from which to set out.

- I prefer the minimal combat of TLD, but don't mind getting my hands dirty (I'm a sniper/ranged player at heart).

- My fav games of all time were the HalfLife games so I don't mind when my exploration is on rails. But at this stage in my life I'm not sure I'd enjoy the volume of combat that HalfLife had.

- I can't play games that constrain your ability to save, or have real-world time passage; I have 3 kids & no time for that nonsense.

- I have a Switch & a decent gaming PC.

I've looked at No Man's Sky but reviews have told me that the exploration starts out seeming vast & limitless but quickly comes down to a few repeated biomes & the novelty wears off fast.

I would happily play endless episodes of Wintermute if the plot & new regions kept on coming. But with around 250 hours in the game, I'm getting a bit tapped out on Survival mode.

Any suggestions gratefully welcome! 😊

Edited by Sherri
Typo.
  • Upvote 1

@Sherri

Stranded Deep comes to mind.  It's sort of like "Cast Away: The Game"
Subnautica is another one where the exploration can get pretty interesting. :)

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

This might be an odd one for you, being a vehicles game, but Spintires: The Original Game has some of what you listed.   The play areas are pretty good sized with uncloaking zones you have to travel to in order to reveal the overall scene on your map.  And they don't make it easy to get anywhere.  Mud, fallen trees, water, bogs, the lot..

The objectives are straight forward (get logs from one place to another),  but also not easily done.  The physics of heavy loads on tough terrain is there... but so are winches 😀 (life savers).  The other nice thing is that you can quit anywhere and it will set you right back into the mud where you left off the next time you start the game.

• Like 1

Hi Sherri

I'm currently having yet another spell in The Forest.  I'll run through how I think it meets your criteria:

- I love vast exploration. That discovery of something new around the next corner.

A huge island with interconnected zones, plus caving systems. Easy to get turned about but also to set bases and waypoints.  The option to use zip wires or rafts.

- I enjoy crafting within reason & improving my character.

Some gathering of resources and mild crafting to create new items/ upgrades.  Fairly frequent travel to resupply required due to storage/ inventory limitations.  Character builds up stamina etc. as you exercise, and various health bars etc. to attend to.

- I need a decent story & prefer set goals/quests - I'm at my happiest in TLD when playing Wintermute for this reason, I feel a bit aimless in Survival sandboxes.

A good mix of story/narrative to push you to explore more and the ability to play as sandbox/ do your own thing.

- I enjoy building things a-la Minecraft, or just setting up a cool base from which to set out.

Definitely a high scorer on this count- lots of custom base building and traps- however can be fiddly and time consuming. There's a custom build mode unlocked for completing the story mode too.

- I prefer the minimal combat of TLD, but don't mind getting my hands dirty (I'm a sniper/ranged player at heart).

Lots of combat, but it's fun (especially the traps), and there are vanilla modes.

- My fav games of all time were the HalfLife games so I don't mind when my exploration is on rails. But at this stage in my life I'm not sure I'd enjoy the volume of combat that HalfLife had.

See above.

- I can't play games that constrain your ability to save, or have real-world time passage; I have 3 kids & no time for that nonsense.

Probably a similar passage of time to TLD in terms of in game hours.  Can't just save, but relatively easy to set up a temporary shelter to do so.  No pause option though.

- I have a Switch & a decent gaming PC.

Don't think it's on Switch, but runs equally well on my partner's decent (although 5yr+) gaming pc, and my newer but by no means state of the art laptop.

Other points- we play exclusively multiplayer, it's the only decent survival co-op we've found (Stranded Deep is on the list though)- just makes building and dealing with ambushes less stressful. 

The game can be also very glitchy and looks like it has now been pretty much abandoned as it is for work on the sequel.

Overall I think it may be worth you checking out, it's not exactly what you're after but if you can live with the flaws it's a lot of fun. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 7:21 PM, ManicManiac said:

@Sherri

Stranded Deep comes to mind.  It's sort of like "Cast Away: The Game"
Subnautica is another one where the exploration can get pretty interesting. :)

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Holy smokes Stranded Deep looks awesome! How did you know I'm a huge Robinson Crusoe fan? lol

• Like 1

I must recommend subnautica, at least with the popular mods. It pretty much covers all your bases and I liked it better than Stranded Deep ( Though in fairness I haven't played it since it was in development). Don't Starve is a great game with lots and lots of crafting from resources. It also has a multiplayer if you're interested in that.

On 11/3/2020 at 4:51 AM, Grignard_TN said:

I must recommend subnautica, at least with the popular mods. It pretty much covers all your bases and I liked it better than Stranded Deep ( Though in fairness I haven't played it since it was in development). Don't Starve is a great game with lots and lots of crafting from resources. It also has a multiplayer if you're interested in that.

Is this worth to try? I want to try another game also.

THIS WAY OF MINE. It's available on Steam n mobile. Excellent survival game similar to TLD.. Managing inventory and surviving in an unforgiving environment. Also check out frostpunk by same devs.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 9:29 PM, Fars said:

THIS WAY OF MINE. It's available on Steam n mobile. Excellent survival game similar to TLD.. Managing inventory and surviving in an unforgiving environment. Also check out frostpunk by same devs.

Cool thank you!

On 11/17/2020 at 9:29 PM, Fars said:

Do you mean This WAR of mine?

Green Hell has been treating me well. It's a bit harder than TLD survival-wise and a bit more... um.. graphic? Like you get infected wounds you have to treat and it's photo realistic. You also can get 'worms' from sleeping on the ground and you have to... uh.. .remove them.

It has a story mode and challenges just like TLD and the game is gorgeous. There's a bit more crafting than TLD, mostly by way of shelters. But there's fires, cooking, and hunting. Predators like snakes and jaguars and tribal folks that want to eat you.

It's a fun game. You might enjoy it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gracia_WolfSlayer said:

Green Hell has been treating me well. It's a bit harder than TLD survival-wise and a bit more... um.. graphic? Like you get infected wounds you have to treat and it's photo realistic. You also can get 'worms' from sleeping on the ground and you have to... uh.. .remove them.

It has a story mode and challenges just like TLD and the game is gorgeous. There's a bit more crafting than TLD, mostly by way of shelters. But there's fires, cooking, and hunting. Predators like snakes and jaguars and tribal folks that want to eat you.

It's a fun game. You might enjoy it.

lol sounds... interesting. :D