Clean up mechanic

mayflowers5

Could we please get a cleanup mechanic for buildings in the game? Like the old way of gathering fire making supplies, where you would select an amount of time to “clean up” and the survivor would clean up the paper and knocked over furniture in the house. Some of the houses just aren’t really livable due to the shear amount of trash in them. 

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, mayflowers5 said:

Could we please get a cleanup mechanic for buildings in the game? Like the old way of gathering fire making supplies, where you would select an amount of time to “clean up” and the survivor would clean up the paper and knocked over furniture in the house. Some of the houses just aren’t really livable due to the shear amount of trash in them. 

I have the same thought!

There are some tables and flat surfaces that I'd love to clear of the inbuilt trash. The kitchen in Grey Mother's house annoys me, because I want to display things in neat rows.

If possible, can we get an option to craft wooden shelves from Cedar, Fir and reclaimed wood (perhaps scrap metal needed for improvised nails). I'd like to be able to personalise the building(s) I live in, and I think creating my own storage shelves would help with that. Maybe they are only 'green' for placement up against an interior wall.

Cleaning the interior of a location, such as the tables and counters of a kitchen, would be a new mechanic.  A mechanic I would not mind even if it took a good amount of [game] time to accomplish.  That said, I expect that it would be an all or nothing mechanic depending on how all the detritus is scattered about. 

I want to lay stuff on a table or counter but bowls, plates, cups, office desk mats, etc. mean I have trouble fitting items there.  I would not expect to be able to "place" the items I want removed, but let me remove them.  A further aspect that can be trouble for the devs would be the open cabinets doors and drawers, drawers on the floor, overturned tables and chairs, etc. which would possibly come in to a "clean up" the place mechanic. 

It is the difference between Story mode and Survival mode.  In the former, the player would come in, live there a while, then go, so a trashed place is no problem.  In the latter, the player is going to spend a lot of time there so a trashed place becomes something of a problem.  So I don't see a "clean up" mechanic coming around anytime soon.  

On 10/16/2020 at 9:58 PM, Mgsgta3 said:

Wow,Ive been playing for years and never knew that mechanic existed. is it on any of the time capsule builds?

Oh it was from a long time ago, I think before they added the muskeg maybe? Should be in the time capsules, but I’m on Xbox so I’m not sure. Yeah it was definitely not as streamlined, but it was a neat mechanic! 

On 10/17/2020 at 6:32 AM, Omnijack said:

There are some tables and flat surfaces that I'd love to clear of the inbuilt trash. The kitchen in Grey Mother's house annoys me, because I want to display things in neat rows.

If possible, can we get an option to craft wooden shelves from Cedar, Fir and reclaimed wood (perhaps scrap metal needed for improvised nails). I'd like to be able to personalise the building(s) I live in, and I think creating my own storage shelves would help with that. Maybe they are only 'green' for placement up against an interior wall.

Yeah I’m in paradise meadows farmstead right now, love it as a base, but there’s no counter space and so much paper and knocked over furniture. It’d be nice to have a way to tidy it ...

• Upvote 2

• 2 years later...
On 10/16/2020 at 9:17 PM, mayflowers5 said:

I, literally, just signed up for the forums to request this mechanic.  I know this thread is a bit old, but it could use a revival.

• Upvote 1

On 5/16/2023 at 9:41 PM, NachoNinjaGnome said:

I, literally, just signed up for the forums to request this mechanic.  I know this thread is a bit old, but it could use a revival.

If you check out the Roadmap page http://www.thelongdark.com/expansion/#roadmap one of the things listed is:

SAFEHOUSE CUSTOMIZATION

Survive in relative comfort through a series of features and items that allow you to organize, optimize, and decorate your favourite interiors.