Question about the rifle

PrincessAutumn

Did something get changed with the hunting rifle? I ask because I just wasted 3 shots on a bear(didn't even hit him) The way I always remember it, you have to aim with the tip of the front sight.

455352601_20201016204027_1-edit.thumb.jpg.af4f3754465e1f05c7ff637e364d2cc4.jpg

Do I aim with the part of the sight that's circled in red or do I aim just a bit lower than that?

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

ManicManiac's sighting line is spot on for how you want to see your "sight" alignment when aiming.  So just a little lower as you noted in your first picture.  I've also found that distance is a huge variant when shooting the rifle.  You'd think the rifle would have good distance, better than the bow for example, but not the case in this game.
To borrow a cliche', ..."don't fire til you see the whites of their eyes..."

Also best to shoot from a crouched position, it just seems to be more accurate that way.  I've found that aiming down on something seems to work better that shooting uphill for example and it really helps to have your target be in the center of the screen.  If I am hunting the bear or the moose for example, I like to flank them and climb up on a rock ledge or on a semi felled tree and shoot down at them from the crouched position in relative safety.  I might take a few scrapes jumping down, but that's minor compared to being mauled or trampled.  

Good luck and good hunting!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 10:15 AM, piddy3825 said:

ManicManiac's sighting line is spot on for how you want to see your "sight" alignment when aiming.  So just a little lower as you noted in your first picture.  I've also found that distance is a huge variant when shooting the rifle.  You'd think the rifle would have good distance, better than the bow for example, but not the case in this game.
To borrow a cliche', ..."don't fire til you see the whites of their eyes..."

Also best to shoot from a crouched position, it just seems to be more accurate that way.  I've found that aiming down on something seems to work better that shooting uphill for example and it really helps to have your target be in the center of the screen.  If I am hunting the bear or the moose for example, I like to flank them and climb up on a rock ledge or on a semi felled tree and shoot down at them from the crouched position in relative safety.  I might take a few scrapes jumping down, but that's minor compared to being mauled or trampled.  

Good luck and good hunting!

crouched position? Are you sure it works?

@Constantine crouching is the way to go! One, for the reasons stated above. Two, because your prey cannot detect you as easily while crouched. So you can get closer to them so you can get the great shot!

I also just learned you can lure wolves with rocks! So my new favorite way to shoot them is to crouch in a prime shooting spot, then lobe a few rocks to attract the wolf right where I want him.

• Upvote 1