Some kind of calendar/day counter?

Staircase

A simple request but could be a little more complex in the future, just a basic day counter or maybe some way to keep track of the months and seasons to have higher or lower warmth values at different times of year and more or less extreme weather.  And most importantly HOLIDAYS!  It gets lonely in survival mode and appreciating the small things like Halloween, Christmas, or any religious holiday would be pretty cool and would give me more of a motive to survive for a long time.  Imagine on any holiday the character would have a cheery voice line that acknowledges the time of year.

Edited by Staircase
adding a tag and editing the title

There is a day counter. The save tells you how long you survived. Getting to about 90 days on my custom, which is like 3 months. Also if Great Bear Island is in Canada near Vancouver, it doesn't snow there all year round. And the point of the survival is to survive in the winter. Also you are meant to be alone. There is no one else, or they already left. Except the people of Milton...RIP. No one who is surviving in this setting cares about what day it is or what holiday is approaching. That is unrealistic. But point is, it's meant to be lonely and taking comfort where you can get it.

Well being completely isolated from other humans isn't part of what happens in day-to-day life and one of the most important parts of survival is morale, the will and reason to keep pushing on.  If there is no hope for someone to be rescued, then what's the point of delaying the inevitable?  if you're outside before sunrise, Mackenzie will say something like "Looks like a new day is dawning" and he sounds happy while saying it.  I'd just like more moments where the character can be more hopeful of their survival.

26 minutes ago, Staircase said:

If there is no hope for someone to be rescued, then what's the point of delaying the inevitable?

Interestingly enough, you're exactly right.  Every long term player eventually gets bored and starts over.  Essentially, their survivor gave up on life.  Maybe the suicide happened off camera, but once you delete a save, that character is gone.

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

Interestingly enough, you're exactly right.  Every long term player eventually gets bored and starts over.  Essentially, their survivor gave up on life.  Maybe the suicide happened off camera, but once you delete a save, that character is gone.

The area is remote and damaged due to seismic activity. Depends how you want to tell your story. Some people can hold onto hope and survive and get rescued. Maybe it happens off screen. People do like to tell stories with these kind of games. Or maybe he succumbed to the elements, wildlife, etc. But it depends on a person's character if they can survive or not. Also the people who tell a story when playing can use their imagination. Like  I finally made it to the farmstead in PV. The family was nice enough to let me in, however....the game is what you make of it.

Also to add, there is nothing day to day about being in a plane crash somewhere remote and expecting it to be like your day to day real life. Especially if very few people live there, they would be spread out thinly. Add an unfriendly environment and only the very brave or very stupid stay behind.

Edited by LumiStylesTTV

Heh, I envision being able to make marks on a wall with charcoal, or notches on a bed post with a knife.  I prefer the coal idea, because then the coal could lose 10% durability per use.  Then it'd be something required the player to actively do.  This way, you keep track of days passing as you want.  I don't care about total days often, but keeping track of how long I've been in one location or another, or how long it's been since I killed off a certain bear or wolf spawn, yeah, it'd be nice to make some marks on a wall to help keep track.  (I personally use the tactic of placing down cat tail heads in the snow to keep track of 3-5 day periods quite often, heh.)