Reishi stew, glowsticks, thermos.

oplli

ReishiMeatStew.thumb.png.c480f7ec7642d5fbc940398fa1639ca2.pngGlowstickTLDEevee.thumb.png.44f6ad0c328df6e6422f8df0b839ab5d.pngThermos.thumb.png.a3ae5145fb5c99efe3a72cb7ced006fa.png

The images are not from me they are from someone who is 3d modeling on a tld server on discord. i liked his/her ideas so i am sharing em here to make more noise.

what do you guys think about those ideas? 

Edited by oplli
  • Upvote 2

I have wanted the ability to do recipes - stews and soups - in game for awhile. 

Glow sticks, for me, would be like road flares.  I find I would be reluctant to use them unless I have no choice because they would be irreplaceable.  

I have no objection to a thermos, extending the time a drink stays "hot" would be nice,  but can foresee a problem in implementation since the game calls something "hot" as applicable for warmth bonus or "cold" for no warmth bonus.  There is currently no intermediate state, like "warm".   Of course the devs could just gloss over that - the thermos contents are either "hot" (for a specified period) or "cold" and that is it.  Putting the liquid into and taking it out (and maybe putting it back in) would have to be considered. 

1 minute ago, UTC-10 said:

Glow sticks, for me, would be like road flares.  I find I would be reluctant to use them unless I have no choice because they would be irreplaceable.  

what i like about glowstick is that they decays in 6h (according to the picture) i see no interest in adding glowsticks if they do not last long. 

they would let you work during night like reading or makin arrow shafts and they would be light. but they would not scare wilflife or let you light a fire and of course non reusable. as i see it it is fair.

for the termos i dont see a problem in it being warm and the next minute cold if you got your liquid inside for 12 hours already. it already works like that for coffe tea etc

On 10/8/2020 at 10:47 PM, oplli said:

what do you guys think about those ideas? 

Well, please bear in mind that these are just my opinions and thoughts about the ideas put forth.

I'd not be in favor of the glow-sticks.  I think that between lanterns, torches, flares, campfires, matches, flashlights, and even the flare gun shells; we have all the light sources we could possibly need.  Also, I consider how long the island has been left decaying... there doesn't seem to be much too much by way of "modern convenience" which to me would suggest that chem-lights wouldn't be something one would likely find (especially considering the prevalence of flares).  To me, the way it's written suggests that it's primary purpose is for a cheaper & easier light source.  Which to me seems like it's a player convenience, which I'm generally not in favor of.

I'd not be in favor of the thermos.  While it certainly would be a reasonable thing to find (given the setting)... it also reads like it's more of a player convenience.  As in, just an easier way to prolong the time a player can utilize a the warmth bonus.  I think that currently, "hot" items (be they cans, teas, or coffee) stay "hot" for a fair amount of time already... and I think that being able to just store hot beverages for long duration would just serve to make things a bit too easy.  Right now, we have to be careful and deliberate in how/when we choose to use that warmth bonus... and I like that.  I think the thermos would just undermine this aspect and give the player a way to just pop a warmth bonus rather than have to plan ahead and be careful.

An idea here that I would be in favor of is the Stew (Grey Mother did make us something akin to this in Wintermute).
I'd need to know more about this particular iteration (and it might need a bit of tweaking/balancing to ensure it's not too  over powered), but in general I think it could be an interesting addition as food item.  I mean, it seems it would take some effort and investment to assemble the ingredients... so I think it could be a really nice touch.  I think it's certainly an interesting idea to think about.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I'd not be in favor of the thermos.  While it certainly would be a reasonable thing to find (given the setting)... it also reads like it's more of a player convenience.

here are items that could be player convenience that is already in the game.

Medicine:

-birch bark tea

-emergency stim

-water purification tabs

-The GO energy drink

Books:

Every skill books

craftable:

-bullets heads

-bullets casings

-gunpowder

-dusting surfur and stump remover

-scrap lead

(basically everything to make ammo)

tools and weapons:

-Hunting rifle

-revolver

-distress pistol

-snare

-hacksaw

-bedroll

-flares

-can opener

-cooking pot

-flashlight

-hatchet

-jerycan

-quality tools (not normal tools)

-spray cans

-storm lantern

-whetstone

-matches

Almost every items in the game are player convenience and not needed to do any task they just get your life easier. but without em the game just look bland and incomplete...

Edited by oplli

1 minute ago, ManicManiac said:

@oplli

Sure, but if Hinterland sees fit to add something to their game... then I respect that decision.
That doesn't mean I have to like every idea that folks propose.  I get to have an opinion too. :)

of course :) 

Edited by oplli

2 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

@oplli

I do like the idea about the Stew.  I know I mentioned that towards the end of my earlier post, but that is an idea that I do think could make a really nice addition.

well the termos idea isnt really a player convenience. beacause it makes you carry 0.75 KG more in case you cook a coffee. i dont think it is exagerated. and with the cofee inside it can weight 1.50 kg wich is a LOT. 

the glowstick is definetly a player convinience thats not like it is a big one. 6 hours of light during one night is nothing compared to all the night you sleep instead of doing something. i happens often when i just dont do a lot of work during a day and i go through th day and still have more than half of my energy bar full. at those times i would prefer having glowsitcks to do something than just pass time until i am tired enough to sleep through the night. for the exploration part. having a glowstick is not that game changing. you just have to light a fire at the enctrance of the cave then throw a couple of logs and stack torches inside your inventory. if you do things right with one match you can explore your cave indefinitely as long as you have wood or coal. i think we have to think further before saying things are player convenience beacause you saw the list i made, even if we can do everything without those objects it is still nice to have em it adds something to the game. and for the glowstick case it does not get the life easier as we always almost die of wolves and bears. wich i dont really see how having glowsticks will help with that.

I feel the glow stick would fall into the realm of wildness survival/emergency preparedness that would likely be common amongst campers and explorers traveling within the Bear island prior to the Collapse. They are common in preparedness packs, and they make more sense with the temperature/wet elements than flashlights. 

You could drop a glow stick into a water bottle for an all night crafting session, to read or just to get around your base during night. 

The thermos would also fit the setting and the balance of weight vs. bonus seems appropriate. 

I would love an even more immersive cooking system. Perhaps finding a recipes spread across the wilderness, or “unlocking” certain recipes such as “create stew” at certain cooking levels. I like things that add depth and immersion. Recipes doesn’t seem like an overwhelming change/add given we already have cooking recipes. They would add an other exciting collectible hunt if they went the route of “find recipes” and add depth and balance. Use such and such an item now for this bonus, or save for another time an different bonus?
**On a side note, this is why the should add some fishing rod with bell to fish while doing other activities... do we save the maple for easier fishing or craft a bow? More small balances will subtly make each decision be more impactful. Similar to you finding hides. 

The original cooking change was a subtle but great change... outside of the fact you could die while waiting for water to boil as you had to pass the time. The simple act of sitting by a campfire cooking rabbit and bowling water in a can while we look out at the lovely surroundings is a game changer to cooking. Or do I have enough time to fix my coat before my moose meat burns? 

Edited by Cure

6 minutes ago, Cure said:

I would love an even more immersive cooking system. Perhaps finding a recipes spread across the wilderness, or “unlocking” certain recipes such as “create stew” at certain cooking levels.

My mother used to keep a recipie box in the kitchen it contains all recipie she knows on paper. I am shure many other people use to do that. maybe it could be common to find recipie boxes in houses and it would be like a book we can read the recipies and burn em once we finish. those recipies would help to our recipie experience (could be seaprate from cooking).

10 minutes ago, Cure said:

You could drop a glow stick into a water bottle for an all night crafting session, to read or just to get around your base during night.

i did not thaught about that one. maybe throwing the glowstick in a water bottle could give us more light time. (i am not a physician but i know that light travels fater in the air than in the water.) it would be nice to0 to be able to attach it to our backpack it would provide light and your hands would be free.

5 hours ago, oplli said:

My mother used to keep a recipie box in the kitchen it contains all recipie she knows on paper. I am shure many other people use to do that. maybe it could be common to find recipie boxes in houses and it would be like a book we can read the recipies and burn em once we finish. those recipies would help to our recipie experience (could be seaprate from cooking).

i did not thaught about that one. maybe throwing the glowstick in a water bottle could give us more light time. (i am not a physician but i know that light travels fater in the air than in the water.) it would be nice to0 to be able to attach it to our backpack it would provide light and your hands would be free.

The recipe box is a great idea. I do like a good collection. I can imagine different zones would hold different type of recipes ... coastal zones may favor fish recipes vs. hunting areas favorite venison. 

The glow stick in water bottle might be over kill but it could be interesting to see if the glow stick could be utilized for different lengths under different temperatures. It would last longer outside as the chemical reaction would be slowed vs. Inside at higher temps. 

I just figured all the water we are drinking is good n the brink of freezing.

• Upvote 1

Meat stew would be great, I generally favour new crafting options. Maybe something as simple as mushroom soup? I find I have stacks of reishi lying around.

Thermos Flask is definitely thematically appropriate. I don't know how much I'd use one, the warming up bonus is good, but at a cost of 0.50kg base and +0.75kg filled with 3x soup (or whatever). Perhaps if I was heading out somewhere like HRV I'd take a Thermos with me.

Glow sticks could work well, the long duration compared to a flare is offset by not scaring wolves, not being able to start a fire. For most cave exploring 6 hours burn time is overkill, but it's a good duration for reading / crafting in the dark.

• Upvote 1

Recipes could be use as a goal or badge to meet; Reishi stew, surf and turf, cat tail salad, etc

This is a minimalist game and glow sticks are the same as roadflares. 

A thermos might be already on Will's backpack, thus the holding of liquid. 

I think the greatest need is more blueprints for animal hides; socks, shirts, etc

Glow sticks wouldn't work in this environment.  The temperatures are so low that they would emit no light.  I mean if you were in a pitch dark cave warming one with your bare hand, you might get a glow barely bright enough to navigate.  But not read a book.  The only time a glow stick WOULD work is if you got the temp up to the positives, which most likely means you're near a fire already anyway.  It's actually a kinda well known trick to "pause" a glow stick, toss it in the freezer.  When it warms back up, it starts glowing.  (And sticking it in hot water makes it glow MUCH brighter, and wear out that much faster.)

A thermos would be a neat idea for the Accessory slot. I've said it before, but the current situation is a no brainer.  Satchel and Ear Wrap.  or two Ear Wraps if you don't have a satchel.  Why would you put anything else there?  More accessories would make it more of a tactical decision.  Do you want Satchel/Ear Wrap?  Satchel/Thermos?  Thermos/Ear Wrap?  Two Thermoses?

One thing I'd really like to see is are additional buffs for physical fitness, provided you stay well fed.  Things like climbing a bunch of ropes with a heavy pack on your back, you'd think would make you stronger over time!  I wish that it did.  The stronger you get, make the rope climbing less taxing.  (Seems kinda silly we can climb up multiple walls of roots bare handed no problem, but a single rope is as tiring as a 3 hour walk.)  Or further increase your carry limit, raise your wolf struggle effectiveness, etc.  A buff you have to earn.

I like the idea of a badge for 'Win 100 wolf struggles' ......The benefit could be improved struggle effectiveness. I think that badges are the way to do buffs for improved fitness that AJB1978 was asking for, rather than inherent improvement over time.

On 10/17/2020 at 11:29 PM, ajb1978 said:

Glow sticks wouldn't work in this environment.

theres a lot of things that is not realistic in the long dark so i dont see that as a problem. maybe for the sake of its utility it could work like that but at much lower temps. for example at -30c it could stop glowing and if we put it in water bottle it glows brighter.  so you could use it to read evrytime you are inside for example and if you want to craft or repair something you have to put it in a water bottle.

• 2 weeks later...

New dishes with interesting buffs. For example, some fatty food will allow you to burn calories more slowly and you will need food a little later than usual.

And of course you need to add a lot of different ingredients and products. For example, sugar. By itself, it is nothing, but along with coffee, it increases the number of calories.

• Upvote 1

I also think additional recipes should be added. Since the game spawns condensed milk, there should be some sort of cream stew or hot cereal food item that could be made. I also was wondering if they would ever implement maple trees. Since maple saplings are an in game item, I figured you'd be able to find actual maple trees. Then you could craft tree taps and harvest maple.