Use for the cannery on interlopper

oplli

Ive talked about this on many discussions but it did not made enough noise. ive suggested improvised revolver and flare gun (limited use, less reliable, hard to craft etc etc) and multiple people suggested more durable bow. if you want to hear more about it there are topics about that. all of that to say that i really feel like we need a use for the cannery in the interlopper gamemode. for now the region is dangerous and does not offer a lot on that difficulty. that is the only region in wich we would not want to go in beacause of our game difficulty. 

i would want anything that could be helpfull in interlopper and that worth the travel. i would like that anybody that has an idea, to give it here :) 

Edited by oplli

Agree. Maybe something you could do with the milling machine... Can't think what would be so useful though. By the time I could get to the point where I'd be able to (for e.g.) mill a gun, I'd probably have archery 5 and wouldn't want to carry a gun around anymore.

Or maybe just a particularly useful piece of equipment, like a frame pack that gives +5kg (on top of the moose satchel)?...

• 2 weeks later...

Just to be upfront: I don't like Bleak Inlet. I think the map layout is OK. The 2 sections part is a new touch but not that exciting to me. I would consider the rest OK as well but I think the catwalk is a bit over the top. But the big weakness are the wolves. I agree, what's the point going there if you spend 4 arrows and more just to get there?

The milling machine can fix your knife and hatchet and in very long games you will run out of whetstones. So there is a purpose. But it is marginal and the wolves are really annoying. Especially the aggressive respawn at the cannery (I am playing the quiet apocalypse - not "Dead Space Canada Edition").

11 hours ago, Willbonney said:

How about use as the name implies, canning meats?  I've canned both raw and cooked venison in glass jars personally, so the meat lasts longer.  Why not canning meat so it lasts longer indoors in the game?  Kinda makes sense to me.

There is no point going to BI before archery lvl 5 in my opinion. So most players will have cooking lvl 5 as well and then you can eat any meat. But I like the idea to can it. So it does not smell anymore. Would be a neat thing but still not the killer feature to go there in the first place.

24 minutes ago, DrZ said:

There is no point going to BI before archery lvl 5 in my opinion. So most players will have cooking lvl 5 as well and then you can eat any meat. But I like the idea to can it. So it does not smell anymore. Would be a neat thing but still not the killer feature to go there in the first place.

Interesting concept, have it take away the meat smell when canned.  Would make carrying foodstuff around BI a lot easier with the Timbers.

• Upvote 1

i dont think it is worth it to can food. can food weights a LOT and you have to spend resources getting at bleak inlet. it will not worth more than it does already. we can just drop our meat outside and it is fine. yes canning would be nice but only if we would be able to do it where we want. in real life we only need a cooking pot and knowledge.

I'd think canning the meat would make it decay less indoors than outdoors, more like crackers or MREs.  The idea of removing the scent was more along the lines of making travel around BI a little easier, which I'd say would help.  Making life in BI easier would attract folks enough imo with bullet manu'ing.

What if you could can some Venison or Bear meat using something like....

Empty Can + scrap metal + heavy hammer + work bench + Meat.

perhaps scrap lead instead of scrap metal (it's soft enough to hammer into a lid shape).  I'm not worried about lead poisoning in future years because I'm just trying to live a few more days in the snow.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Omnijack said:

What if you could can some Venison or Bear meat using something like....

Empty Can + scrap metal + heavy hammer + work bench + Meat.

I dont agree again beacause we always drop cans. wich mean that we would have to carry all of our cans for a future expedition where we will be canning. no it does not work. what coul be done though is making a big stock of cans in the cannery. it would be like on the summit you have crates with canning stuff maybe even a hammer if you are lucky and depending on the difficulty you get a different amount of stuff.

On 10/18/2020 at 10:32 PM, Willbonney said:

How about use as the name implies, canning meats?  I've canned both raw and cooked venison in glass jars personally, so the meat lasts longer.  Why not canning meat so it lasts longer indoors in the game?  Kinda makes sense to me.

Same, and I've posited this wish list item myself.  The only problem is that the jar lids are single use only, so that would probably need to be addressed somehow.  Or ignored...after all primers seem to appear out of thin air when crafting ammo.  Same with plastic water bottles.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Same, and I've posited this wish list item myself.  The only problem is that the jar lids are single use only, so that would probably need to be addressed somehow.  Or ignored...after all primers seem to appear out of thin air when crafting ammo.  Same with plastic water bottles.

This works for me. It may not be visible on the recycled can visual, but the lid might still be partly attached to it. After all, Id say that if you are going to "boil" water in a can, using that lid to semi-close it would means there would be higher temperature faster within the can. Also you can assume that bits of metal sheets would be easy to find.

I dont like the lead suggestion for the lead poisoning argument. I dont think anyone in their right mind would use lead for this reason when various scrap sheet metal can be found around Great bear. I do like the idea of recycled cans used for this as after all, that is the trade-off - you would need to bring the cans as well to can the meat. In turn, you would get food that spoils much slower and does not smell, also can be "heated up" before eating it. 

Still, not a particularly big reason to go there.

How about an ability to turn your improvised tools into a non-improvised version, using the Milling machine? I reccon a lot of people would be willing to make that trip on Interloper if they could turn their improvised tools into non-improvised ones, as the non-improvised tools require less time when used, this means less time spent in the elements, harvesting your kill? Also, they are lighter and I think they also are more durable. One would still need to get to the cannery, get past the workbench and have Aurora present to use the milling machine. I think it would pose a lot of challenge but the reward would be significant.

(another idea would be that rifle and revolvers can spawn in Interloper but always at 0% durability so in order to use them, you would need to make that trip to Cannery. But I am sure most people would not like this idea as they like Interloper without guns, and I wouldnt blame anyone. Still, "All firearms spawn at 0% condition" would be interesting Custom setting.)

Jelly jars as well as pasta sauce jars are both glass and with screw on lids.  That's just two common items I can think of off the top of my head, and they are very common.

Edited to add:  Oh, and peanut butter jars may be plastic now, so less durable, but still screw on lids.

Edited by Willbonney
addition

2 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

How about an ability to turn your improvised tools into a non-improvised version,

i like that idea it would be more worth it to go there.

2 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

(another idea would be that rifle and revolvers can spawn in Interloper but always at 0% durability so in order to use them, you would need to make that trip to Cannery. But I am sure most people would not like this idea as they like Interloper without guns, and I wouldnt blame anyone. Still, "All firearms spawn at 0% condition" would be interesting Custom setting.)

i made a topic about imprivised weapons for interlopper. basically you would be able to find improvised revolver and flare gun in blackrock prison as a contreband item. once you finded one you get the craft recipie to make em in cannery. the revolver have like 4 slot in the mag and they get destroyed in like 10 shots for revolver and 3 or 4 for the flare. they are not acurate at all and they are defensive weapons only, they do not make animals bleed out. so im bringing the topic again beacause it may interest you and many others

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Willbonney said:

Jelly jars as well as pasta sauce jars are both glass and with screw on lids. 

The problem isn't that, it's that the rubberized coating that forms the airtight seal degrades.  Practically speaking, you probably could get a few uses out of those lids, as well as standard mason jar lids.  But in terms of safety, they are single-use objects.  Botulism doesn't screw around, and neither do I!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

The problem isn't that, it's that the rubberized coating that forms the airtight seal degrades.  Practically speaking, you probably could get a few uses out of those lids, as well as standard mason jar lids.  But in terms of safety, they are single-use objects.  Botulism doesn't screw around, and neither do I!

Yeah, wouldn’t matter if you took antibiotics or not. Botulism is pretty much a guaranteed kill even in non apocalypse settings....

• Upvote 1

Heh, ya'll bring up botulism...  Guess carrying around 2kg of cooked deer or bear meat at room temperature for a day or two still make it safe to eat.  As I've been told a couple of time, gotta suspend some things in a video game.  But the argument of rubber seals on jar lids decaying, isn't that what condition loss is?  A decay of the item?

3 minutes ago, TiffTastic said:

Yeah, wouldn’t matter if you took antibiotics or not. Botulism is pretty much a guaranteed kill even in non apocalypse settings....

Exactly, it's not the bacteria that kill you, it's the botulinum they secrete.  Even if the bacteria are long dead, it can still kill.

1 minute ago, Willbonney said:

Heh, ya'll bring up botulism...  Guess carrying around 2kg of cooked deer or bear meat at room temperature for a day or two still make it safe to eat.  As I've been told a couple of time, gotta suspend some things in a video game.  But the argument of rubber seals on jar lids decaying, isn't that what condition loss is?  A decay of the item?

That's true in real life too.  Ever eaten a slice of pepperoni pizza that's been sitting out on the counter for two days?  I'm sure most of us have been broke college kids at least at one point.  And how many of us got sick?

There's a difference between what is likely to happen, and what you can sign your name on as a guarantee.  Like I said, practically speaking, you probably could get a few uses out of the lids.  But no one in a position of authority is going to sign off on that, because the consequences will cost lives.  So the official stance is they are single use.

What I'm saying is your argument on bacteria and botulism and all that occurs in reality, it doesn't have anything at all to do in the game.  Eat some fish you cooked on the grill and left in a cupboard for 4 or 5 days and no problem in game.  Real life, no freaking way, and if you did, likely getting sick if not worse.  I make suggestion using how the game works and within the confines of how the game works.  Not how reality works.  Personally, keeping things "real" is nice and all, but there's so much with how the game works now that isn't close to reality, but the game is still fun and can give a sense of reality.  Again, a sense, not a true grasp.