Food Rack

OccludedOsprey

I have always liked the idea of making jerky. I still think meat should just not decay even inside where it's always below freezing so I don't care about the preservation aspect. But cutting down on weight and reducing smell could give you ways to prepare for longer distance travel. I am generally in favor of having things you can do to prepare.

• Upvote 2

Ah that's fair. That would definitely be a cool idea to implement. So far my home base is the camp lodge and trappers homestead since they are so close to each other. I have only gone as far as BR so far. To break down supplies and bring back. Having meat that isn't helpful would allow me to make a few less trips.

• Upvote 2

Bear is an unlimited resource.  If you didn't need the other half then spending time harvesting it would have been a waste. Not harvesting what you don't need is the better choice.

Of course if your objective in the game is something other than the most efficient means of survival then perhaps it was wasted.

Edited by odizzido
  • Upvote 1

I play to be efficient if I can, but for me the exploration and establishing new camps is the most fun part of the game. That and finding the sometimes really well hidden but stunningly beautiful vistas this game has. Sometimes it leads to wasting the bear. I still have fun, just wish there was another way to save stuff.

• Upvote 1

I tend to play for economical efficiency as well... and I almost never end up wasting meat.

I mean, once we get to Cooking - Level 5 we can eat cooked food with impunity anyway, so at that point meat can already be considered (in effect) preserved indefinitely anyway.

I'm fine with just role-playing it a little.  I keep raw meat "frozen" outside, and I only cook it when I need it.  This way nothing really goes to waste.
(Since we can cook 0% raw meat and getting the +50% condition bonus... for me this generally the best way to go.  Also, with Cooking Level 5, we can just sort of role-play that part of the level 5 advantages as also preparing for food preservation - helping to account the "iron stomach" effect)  :)

:coffee::fire:
As I've also mentioned in the past:

On 2/20/2020 at 11:49 PM, ManicManiac said:

preserving food (particularly meats) is a topic that does come up often, however considering everything that's already in place and the various ways we can use (or choose to look at) them... I just don't see curing meats as being all that necessary.  Though I do agree that it might be a nice touch... but for all intents and purposes the function/effect is already there.

On 2/24/2020 at 3:16 AM, ManicManiac said:

Add salt and self-made jerky:
Considering what's already in play I really don't see an added value in having a system for preserving food when the current set up already provides the same effect.   Also, I don't think it's such a critical issue to warrant overhauling the systems again to add this particular facet when the current effect is essentially already present. 

Again though, I could agree that it might be a nice touch... but one that I can live without.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

I don't often run into an issue with food spoiling too fast, and I feel the rate of meat spoilage is moderate compared to some other survival games.

Now, I like the concept of the jerk being less smelly to predators and lighter weight... That's something I could get with. Maybe it's less of a craft-able thing (the drying rack) and maybe a spice that you can find in the world? You "craft" with the preserving spice blend and your raw meat and it has to dry in a certain type of location( like inside or something)

Needing the spice+the time it would take to dry (like with the furs and guts) I think would balance pretty well.

Neat idea, and one I would likely enjoy. But can happily play without it.

• Upvote 1

Meat preservation has been a wish list item for the life of the game as I've known it.  And I've been playing since before Timberwolf Mountain was a thing.

With things as they are now, meat preservation isn't necessary.  However, I would be in favor of some sweeping changes, which would make meat preservation valuable.

To clarify: Current state, we can shoot a couple bears and a moose, then either leave the meat in the snow to cook long past its ruination, or cook it all up right away and eat it over the course of the next few weeks.  Neither scenario is realistic, nor even plausible.  Nobody is gonna pick up a chunk of frozen meat, eat it, and call it dinner.

So if firestarting were made more readily renewable, i.e. bow drill or some other sort of craftable on-demand firestarter, we could then reasonably be expected to cook our food immediately prior to eating it.  Or within a day or two of eating it, at most.  At that point, when we're limited to eating cooked meat within 48 hours of actually cooking it, preserving meat becomes valuable.

So my in-a-nutshell take is this.  Raw meat decays as it currently does.  Cooked meat is edible and resists food poisoning/parasites depending on cooking skill...however it decays at a rate of 50% per calendar day.  Meaning you need to cook your food at most a day prior to eating it. However, raw meat that is instead preserved, either through smoking, curing, or whatever can be eaten at any time.  It doesn't gain the calorie benefit of your cooking skill, but it halts decay and eliminates food poisoning or parasite risk.

• Upvote 1

I still really have a problem with food decaying when it's well below zero all the time everywhere. Food decay should just be disabled IMO. Or they should add heating houses as a thing and allow food to decay as it gets warmer inside.

I am all for trying out not eating frozen stuff, including water. It could be interesting.

• Upvote 1

On 10/6/2020 at 12:57 PM, ManicManiac said:

I tend to play for economical efficiency as well... and I almost never end up wasting meat.

I mean, once we get to Cooking - Level 5 we can eat cooked food with impunity anyway, so at that point meat can already be considered (in effect) preserved indefinitely anyway.

I'm fine with just role-playing it a little.  I keep raw meat "frozen" outside, and I only cook it when I need it.  This way nothing really goes to waste.
(Since we can cook 0% raw meat and getting the +50% condition bonus... for me this generally the best way to go.  Also, with Cooking Level 5, we can just sort of role-play that part of the level 5 advantages as also preparing for food preservation - helping to account the "iron stomach" effect)  :)

honestly i absolutely hate the fact that we can just eat 0% food as long as they are cooked with level 5 food. i dont understand you are always saying that you dont like things that would make the game easier. then jerky would make the game hader beacause you would have to cure your food before eating it... 

jerky would have meny advantages but also inconvenients:

Good things: light, takes a long time to perish, smells less.

bad things: you need more water (could even give you an effect that makes you dishydrate faster) 

even though it is not necessairy i dont know why we still have to ask for that :( as you a lot of people said it has been asked many many times since the game exists.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, oplli said:

i dont understand

I'm not saying I don't like the idea, I said it could be a nice touch...

I'm just also pointing out that the effect of preserving food is essentially already present (it's just implied rather than an explicit/discrete mechanic), which to me means there isn't really a need to overhaul mechanics just to add this one detail.

Sure having a discrete mechanic might possibly make things a little more difficult... but I would argue; not by much.  I think it all it would really do is just add an extra time requirement, which by itself isn't more difficult... just requires a little more time management.  On that note, if things get too convoluted or "micromanag-y" that could be a problem too.

I'm just not sure it would add enough to gameplay to really warrant all the time, resources, and debugging that would likely be necessary to over haul the systems again.

Like I said:

On 10/6/2020 at 9:27 PM, ManicManiac said:

Again though, I could agree that it might be a nice touch... but one that I can live without.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, fasdfe33 said:

I'm simply now not sure it might upload enough to gameplay to absolutely warrant all the time to cook on best grill, resources, and debugging that would probable be essential to over haul the structures again.

on the contrary it may be the first item to be about cooking food better even if aloen a jerky rack isnt really valuable, it may introduce the long dark to some more complex food mechanisms wich i would highly appreciate :). i dont think that the spray cans uploaded enough gameplay to absolutely warrant a great usage... but if they added a such useless item at the first view it suprised how much this item have a potential finally. and believe it of not someone actually asked for spray cans years ago in the wishlist. so i dont think it is a great way to think about what should be added or not. we have to focus about big thinks that would warrant all the time spent developping etc etc but if we were only focusing on that we would only have new regions, new animals and new weapons basically, it would make the game exactly the same and bold with the addition of new things that already exist on a different form. thats why i will almost always be in favor of new gameplay mechanics and new little funny stuff. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...