500 DAY STALK

Dalos

HRV Day 1.5 - yeah, i didn't do all that. weather was fine but decided to light an 8 hour fire in the cave with my lit torch, went left, only picked up 7 catails, one rabbit and .7kg deer carcass. Cooked them up and made water all night. then woke up to this.

image.thumb.png.001cf156fb01ca0b5df0b6c6df25dccd.png

HRV 1.5 - too foggy to see where the signal fire is.

image.thumb.png.84d3f65e4fbe3fc3f8264f31dc79568e.png

i head right and found some stuff. i had a feeling i would score a cooking pot and that makes a TON of difference. also picked up those peaches, a can opener and another 12 matches. so far a good day.

image.thumb.png.c9f7765789f7ba9200622ba397eb7644.png

HRV Day 2 - so not going to say that i found everything to survive in the first two days but well...

turns out i got the easy signal fire location. Along with the satchel, which i don't really need i also found a regular hatchet, some cans of food, a 97% firestick, a mag lens and another sewing kit.

i did break one arrow killing a rabbit though, so a little negative.

spent a night in the little cave up top. not  sure whether to head back around down the rope i already climbed and go down again Many Falls vista to the moosey overlook and valley cave. or if i should go back to the lonely cave, see what's there and wind back up around to the empty cave at the top.

image.thumb.png.a4572c4c15e3a5ee145a054c1fd57e6c.png

HRV Day 3 - there are a few things i can't stand and one of them is not having a homebase. i need to decide where to set up shop, rock cache, food, water, etc.

i thought that maybe i'd have to revert to the whole interloper starve during the day thing but there really are a lot of cattails around and game too. Also, i can't afford to not have the +5 bonus because there are a ton of rocks to climb and i weight so much by default.

i also hate bear tracks and a bunch of knotty hills where you can't see more than 10 yards and you might stumble upon an angry one. I need to kill this guy before he 10%'s me.

image.thumb.png.6da5ab1ada78032751db8c34c65d3172.png

HRV Day 3 continued - this is a tough bear hunt. there's no escape plan other than an abandoned snow shelter up the hill a little bit. Don't think i would make it there. there's been a lot of sneak up, have him lurch towards me, and then i sneak away. All day like this.

image.thumb.png.2f8fafcc3599a0a0aae5ab5a27f4440f.png

HRV Day 11 - gotta get this big brute without him having a chance to break my ribs. It's a great location to harvest but not to hunt.

i usually like to shoot from a fallen tree or something like that but i don't know if i can do anything safely here.

image.thumb.png.793453b472eaaf1b4e92bab7806ed13b.png

HRV Day 22 - climbed down to the valley cave to see what's up. pretty dead down here. Just one deer and not even a wolf to harass me.

I don't think i've ever found a moose around the moose overlook either.

not much reason to stay here more than a few days. lots of wood to burn though.

image.thumb.png.93d2587e70ec2472831548349402c5d8.png

HRV Day 28 - made it back to cave home # 2. still a bunch of cooked bear meat here but i need more to make it. I think i am  just about done taking risks now which means i need as much food as i can get. The cave near monolith is safer but there isn't much food unless that moose respawns.

so that means it is bear hunt time again. This time though, i have a rifle.

image.thumb.png.dbfa0837c4ab1a62d3d65542fbf6b02d.png

HRV Day 50 - anticlimatic for sure. Cave living for the last two weeks has been good to me. 

i would be lying if i said i wasn't itching to start something. Truthfully, other than a few hairy moments and that little fear you have of falling off a cliff like a stooge, this was not a terribly difficult challenge. If i had reversed the order of maps or didn't allow myself to bring an item from each location on to the next, it would have been much harder.

that wasn't the idea though. i just wanted to get the accomplishment and not die during the process.

a couple things i learned that i would have done differently. I was right to bring a regular bedroll and the bearskin one with me at all times. Once i lost the regular one, i started to think i should have kept another one with me as a back up just in case because late in the game all the clothing you find is ruined beyond repair.

also, i killed 160 wolves and 21 bears. I sure thought it was more than that.

and the bow and arrow is better than the handgun. Even at level 5, it is pretty rare to get an instakill with the handgun. Not so with the survival bow.

Thanks again for reading. On to the next challenge.

image.thumb.png.374ff3fc85216722d4bf61f6ea3476f6.png