What is your Favorite Region?

PurpleWolf13

Once again, I continue with my habit of reviving oooold threads.

Probably my two favorite regions would be Mountain Town (Milton) and Forlorn Muskeg.

I like Milton because it encourages, nay, shall I say, requires combat in order to survive. Tons of loot and two six-burner stoves, as well as a workbench. And, of course, what would I do without Bruno and Rufus?

I like Forlorn Muskeg because of it’s usually good weather, low wolf density, and insane stick and cattail collecting. The forge is a plus, as is the view through the roof in Spence when there is an aurora.26606000-EF71-4096-961D-2AA965027DFA.thumb.jpeg.7d1301e6a3ac4c118c7f12f65944ab9e.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2020 at 3:35 AM, piddy3825 said:

TimberWolf Mountain

Hands down, the single best end destination region imho.  

I like it the best because there are relatively no man made structures, save the Mountaineer's Hut and the adjacent fishing shack and the fact that the hut has the one and only workbench in what could be considered the remotest area in the game is the bonus because with the crafting ability you can truly live off the land indefinitely.   There are some things that your gonna have to bring along cause you wont find much of some things if at all.  (Like two liter pots or arrow heads.)  However,  the natural resources throughout the map are abundant so you can stay well stocked in herbal medicines after the ample supply of salvaged drugs runs out.  

With the Mountaineer's Hut as your base camp, you have immediate access to abundant sources of firewood fuel, medicinal herbs and non aggressive meat food sources ie, rabbits and deer.  There are also two nearby moose spawn locations that seem to see their fair share of horn rattling activity.  There are wolves and a bear in nearby proximity, but their "patrolling" pattern typically doesn't bring them to close without you noticing.  But when they do, another excellent source of food and clothing resource.  

Here's a shot of a couple wolfs patrolling across the frozen expanse of Crystal Lake from the doorway of the fishing shack.   That's a considerable distance and I typically never encounter them any where near my domicile.  I like to just crouch in the door way and wait for them to come walking close enough for me to pop up and skewer them with an arrow!  

screen_4d764cf2-292c-4cb4-bdee-80faa269612f_hi.thumb.png.64df86372ad5b13731e97b6841073fbd.png

The weather patterns are fairly consistent as well.  Usually get a  blizzard every three days on average, so you can almost time your foraging excursions to best coincide with the weather.  There are ample caves and tunnels in the area providing warmth and shelter as well so when your out and about salvaging airplane lockers and the weather turns sour, you have a quick place to duck into.screen_b743c689-c30b-471f-8a24-85628ccad67c_hi.thumb.png.4c644e915a08208a10ade7432d1d0ccb.png

If your not playing a spartan, resource restrictive setting, the loot from airline containers and wooden crates can be extremely rewarding.   No different really from looting 
a fishing cabin on Mystery Lake, but just as rewarding and usually overly abundant as well.  

The Summit Provides

By the time you have explored the area and managed to haul that booty of looty back to your lair, you will have acquired enough stuff to open  a sporting goods store...

screen_ad6d7079-ffce-4252-aa1c-ef5f1c4c9c6d_hi.thumb.png.6be7ebad53f87ed3b6f0c4a9faa373e8.png

Your gonna wanna retire up here.  Trust me, this is the place to be.

The only down side to TWM,
no forge here and since no other man made structures, no metal here either...  No two liter pots anywhere either.
Since you gotta climb in to get here, bring a couple dozen arrowheads, a few two liter pots and all the scrap metal you can carry.  
After that, all the rest is gravy!

piddy, I agree that TWM Mountaineer's hut is a great place to retire.  Relatively easy to kill bear, deer and rabbits.  Pushing deer towards wolves is fairly simple task.  A joy is the fact that unless you have smell bars wolves will leave you alone in the area directly behind the Mountaineers hut.  Wood is abundant.

On my current run I made it a point to import around 30 pieces of metal.  Since I play on Voyageur the lack of a forge is not a problem.  Almost all my cutting is accomplished with a hacksaw.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Blizzard Walker said:

...Almost all my cutting is accomplished with a hacksaw.

Ah, the lowly hacksaw...
Overlooked by many, this handy versatile tool can do just about everything and then some, not only being able to cut up tree limbs, but also harvest the completely frozen carcasses of those animals that "got away."  Combine those features with actually cutting metal and you've got a tool that can change the outcome of any survival run.  
Considering the relative abundance of scrap metal sources on the island needed to repair the hacksaw, it would take years before you'd run out of materials to repair the hacksaw.  

Long live the hacksaw!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

Considering the relative abundance of scrap metal sources on the island needed to repair the hacksaw, it would take years before you'd run out of materials to repair the hacksaw.  

I did the math once. I no longer have my notes, but if I recall correctly it would be something like 20,000 in-game years before you ran out of scrap metal.

Edit: Scratch that, i was thinking about scrap cloth and repairs. Meh. Anyway, there is still a stupid amount of scrap metal, and you're far more likely to die of boredom and delete your save than you are to run out.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 2

On 7/27/2022 at 1:50 PM, conanjaguar said:

Once again, I continue with my habit of reviving oooold threads.

Probably my two favorite regions would be Mountain Town (Milton) and Forlorn Muskeg.

I like Milton because it encourages, nay, shall I say, requires combat in order to survive. Tons of loot and two six-burner stoves, as well as a workbench. And, of course, what would I do without Bruno and Rufus?

I like Forlorn Muskeg because of it’s usually good weather, low wolf density, and insane stick and cattail collecting. The forge is a plus, as is the view through the roof in Spence when there is an aurora.26606000-EF71-4096-961D-2AA965027DFA.thumb.jpeg.7d1301e6a3ac4c118c7f12f65944ab9e.jpeg

Who are Bruno and Rufus and what the hell are you on about the wolf density in the musket is insanity

4 hours ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

Who are Bruno and Rufus and what the hell are you on about the wolf density in the musket is insanity

Bruno and Rufus are the two wolves who are always on patrol in the yard at the Paradise Meadows farm. I adopted them and treat them like overly playful house dogs... except for when I shoot them.

The wolf density in the ‘Keg is actually not that bad. As far as I know, there are three main wolf patrol routes; two near Spence and one near the Poacher’s Camp. However, with proper timing and torches, they can easily be dealt with.

15 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I did the math once. I no longer have my notes, but if I recall correctly it would be something like 20,000 in-game years before you ran out of scrap metal.

Edit: Scratch that, i was thinking about scrap cloth and repairs. Meh. Anyway, there is still a stupid amount of scrap metal, and you're far more likely to die of boredom and delete your save than you are to run out.

Dying of boredom reminds me of….

image.gif.2a23c10d9466a28eccf02b4a41b767fb.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3

My favourite has mostly been PV but lately I've spent more and more time in mystery lake and ash canyon.  Both have beautiful views  and a sense of peace that I really seem to enjoy these days..  Least favourites are hrv and mountain town. Both too cluttered and dare I say messy.

53 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

My favourite has mostly been PV but lately I've spent more and more time in mystery lake and ash canyon.  Both have beautiful views  and a sense of peace that I really seem to enjoy these days..  Least favourites are hrv and mountain town. Both too cluttered and dare I say messy.

I'm curious how you feel HRV is cluttered and messy?  
Especially since there isn't a single derelict building  or structure on the map?

7 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

I'm curious how you feel HRV is cluttered and messy?  
Especially since there isn't a single derelict building  or structure on the map?

Messy is more in relation to Milton than hrv.   Hrv just seems to me to be full of rocks,mounds,dips and trees all surrounded by the imposing cliffs . 

It feels very claustrophobic.    

I'm not saying it's not well designed ,it is.  Very.  It's just not my cup of tea(herbal or otherwise)🙂 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

After a few side missions on my current Voyageur run I anticipate an extended vacation at TWM's Crystal Lake.  103 pieces of cloth, 32 pieces of metal and 77 arrow shafts stashed at the Mountaineer's hut should set me up well for an extended visit.  To conserve arrows I will feed myself snaring rabbits, fishing (level 5 skill) and scaring wolves away from their deer kills. It should be fun spending 200+ days without expending any bullets or breaking any arrows.  With a bit of care I can employ a "live and let live" approach to the bear that visits the lake.

• Upvote 1

Personally for me, it has to be Mystery Lake. I'm a home bird by nature and this wonderful region makes me all warm and fuzzy inside when the weather is blowing a hoolie.

However, and speaking of hoolies, I'm really starting to love Pleasant Valley. It's only taken me 800+ hours! It's massive and certainly keeps you on your toes. Plus it's a great place to have a central base for when you need to branch off into TWM for the summit or Bleak Inlet for ammo making. Even though it doesn't have as many structures to loot (I am a loot goblin!) there are still plenty of places to rummage about in and discover something exciting. I keep getting a damned bear spawn right outside the cave back to home in ML. Scares the bejesus  out of me. I leave a rifle on the ledge to take the sod out with much glee.

I'm also strangely drawn to Desolation Point. There is something almost mystical about it and the views are beautiful. It does feel kind of sad and lonely as the name suggests, something which I am drawn to.

I'm not keen on CH at all. Too many wolves. I like battling the weather not being made to jump out of my skin every few minutes. Its a shame because there is much loot goblin fun to be had here. The same goes for MT too. Even with my modified custom game for severe cold and less wolves these regions just don't suit me.

Bleak Inlet serves a purpose. Get in and get out. Same for TWM.

I am yet to brave Ash Canyon or HRV. To be honest I don't feel like I'm missing anything. Someone else said about a claustrophobic feeling about these regions and I agree. On my Pilgrim test runs I realised I would never feel the need to return to them. Everything I need can come from elsewhere. I don't need a technical backpack or crampons. For me the joy is exploring wide open spaces and incredible views.

I also haven't done much with Blackrock. I did go through it a little after it was released but it just didn't grab me. I'm not sure why. I may end up going for the hell of it when I'm feeling suicidal from boredom on a long run but I doubt it.

Broken Railroad is a fun little jaunt. Not far from home in ML and I prefer the forge there to Spencers. I know it so well I'm used to where the wolves and other mean beasties are and am pretty good at avoiding them.

Finally.... Forlorn Muskeg. What can I say. I definitely have a love hate relationship with it! As an early TLD player it has sentimental appeal to me but its scary as hell! I always seem to run into a wolf or bear or both when I'm already struggling with hypothermia and either end up panicking and plummeting through the ice or end up mauled by the wildlife. Fortunately with all the hours I've put in I have a better handle on the region now but it remains a scary place.

Time for me to turn in now. The Aurora is shining beautifully over my snug little Trapper's home. I'll be dreaming of the day when Hinterland finally give us something else to craft or do on very long runs. It would be nice not to battle boredom more than the weather.

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 1