placing objects

panda_gamer87

This is just me venting, but other players may also find this annoying. I think the game can go overboard with object placement. Sometimes when trying to place a campfire or bedroll, it takes like 5 minutes. Even when I've made sure the area is completely flat and has no obstructions, the game won't allow be to place the object. I can rotate and flip the object 50 times and try all kinds of configurations, but can't place the object. The lantern is pretty easy to place, but like the bedroll can be annoying to try and place. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I’m on a PS4 and yes I agree it can seem very fussy where a bedroll can go for instance.  

Are the distance from cave entrance to fire and from fire to bedroll important in terms of survival? I’ve been trying to hide everything as far from cave mouth as I can which makes things more difficult too .

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 6:32 AM, Adamo said:

Are the distance from cave entrance to fire and from fire to bedroll important in terms of survival? I’ve been trying to hide everything as far from cave mouth as I can which makes things more difficult too .

It doesn't matter how much I know . You can easily be placed where it is convenient for you and where the placement system will allow it.

I play on a PC and don't use mods. Just too lazy to bother. But I will say one thing. This causes a lot of trouble, but they are tolerable by and large.

On 11/11/2020 at 5:32 PM, Adamo said:

As you've probably noticed there is a specific point at which the cave considers you to be indoors.  Saplings, hides, etc. placed towards the back of the cave will cure, while ones towards the front do not. If you find where that invisible boundary is, you can place your fire on the outdoor side, and your bedroll on the indoor side. This will give your fire the duration bonus of being outdoors, plus the ability to light it with a mag lens. And place your bedroll on the indoor side, so that you get the interior warmth bonus.

If you position things carefully, you can also fit up to three rock caches in the outdoor portion of the cave. Unfortunately they have a ludicrously large footprint, so you're forced to space them very far apart from one another.

On 9/26/2020 at 10:26 PM, panda_gamer87 said:

This is just me venting, but other players may also find this annoying. I think the game can go overboard with object placement. Sometimes when trying to place a campfire or bedroll, it takes like 5 minutes. Even when I've made sure the area is completely flat and has no obstructions, the game won't allow be to place the object. I can rotate and flip the object 50 times and try all kinds of configurations, but can't place the object. The lantern is pretty easy to place, but like the bedroll can be annoying to try and place. 

Not sure if this is still an issue for you, but......

......the ability to place something is affected not just by whether what you are trying to place it on is flat - but also how far away you are from where you are trying to place that thing. So, it might be possible to place a bedroll or a fire when you are within (say) 1-2 metres of where you are trying to place it - but try to place the same object in the exact same place when you are 15-20 metres away and it can't be done.