Warmth Calculations are Confusing

nenquel

iyjQJuX.jpg

As shown here the calculations don't really make sense.

If we were to add all up we would get:

-24-6+17+11 = -2

If we assume that windchill values only work on each other we get:

-6+11 > 0 => windchill = 0 (cant get windchill bonus if there is not enough windchill)

-24+17+0 = -7

How does the game get the value -4 ?

For all we know, it could be calculate like if there is windchill clothing bonus "hang over" it is multiplied with a low multiplier and then added to the resuling "feels like". Or it could be a lot more calculated.

Why is this a bug? You need not to know the interna of how this is calculated. I just reckon, if it feels below 0°C, i am getting colder, and if it feels above 0°C i am getting warmer in the game.

Why is this a bug?

I consider this a bug since the game's appearance makes it look like "feels like" is a sum of the values below. Even if it is not the sum there is no obvious way that the numbers add up to the "feels like" value.

Since the game shows the player these values, but doesn't use them in an obvious/understandable (i.e. correct) way, it's a bug.

I've never understood what they were trying to show us having 4 values there. I like the data but I dont know what the hell to do with it. It has never been explained here.

I like to use the clothing bonuses as a quick reference for clothing condition and the need to repair or upgrade, and I think that's the only window where you see your bonus totals. So, if you're not sure cargo pants in fair condition are better than jeans in excellent condition, you can put them on and recheck the totals.

The wind chill shows you changing weather conditions. For example, I had a character sheltering from the wind behind a rock during a blizzard when the wind chill started to fall rapidly (along with the "feels like" obviously). That's a tip-off that the wind had changed direction, so moving to another other side of the rock warmed up the character. In addition, if you take a quick step out the door to check the weather and see a chill factor like -27, you might instantly decide not to go out.

Windchill is calculated separately, -6 + 11 > 0. So windchill has no effect.

That leaves air temp and clothing warmth bonus. -24 + 17 = -7.

But there are also some warmth bonuses that are not shown here. Running for one. If you've been running for a while, you can get 2-3C warmth bonus from that. And hot food/ beverages also give a warmth bonus that is not displayed here (I think).

I don't think rounding can cause such a large discrepancy. I think the decimal values of the different clothes are added first and then rounded, so this could only cause a 0.5C difference.

It is hard to gauge it and it is further complicated by the fact that sometimes it is cold out -10 or -15 and it looks like a nice day, but then sometimes it is windier but not brutal windy, but warmer almost the fog condition or turns into the fog condition and then it is in the upper 20s? I don't mind the variety but the only gauge I really look at is the cold meter, and how many arrows. One arrow I know I have the best amount of time to wander and forage for wood, two arrows and I know I can't go to far and that I have less about an hour outside before freezing. Three arrows usually accompanied by wind and I know I have 20-45 minutes before I freeze and can forage but only for about a half hour or so. Not really travel weather unless it is critical.

Windchill is calculated separately, -6 + 11 > 0. So windchill has no effect.

That leaves air temp and clothing warmth bonus. -24 + 17 = -7.

But there are also some warmth bonuses that are not shown here. Running for one. If you've been running for a while, you can get 2-3C warmth bonus from that. And hot food/ beverages also give a warmth bonus that is not displayed here (I think).

^^ This right here. The whole -24 + -6 isn't right. OP's "feel's like" temperature seems correct for someone who has been running or something else that provides warmth recently.

The reason I see for showing all 3 values is to help you understand what is happening.

It's important to know the wind chill as higher wind speeds degrade your clothing faster.

It's also important to know how much wind chill protection you have so that you can understand how that wind starting ti kick up is going to impact you.

Archived