Wolf Bugs getting me killed on Interloper.

Trunks_Budo

Fix wolves. It happens 1 in 20 times where a wolf chooses to follow 10 meters behind me instead of 30 meters behind me. It literally follows me so closely that it gets me, despite the fact that everywhere I look, it says wolves are supposed to follow 30 meters behind you. Wolves are currently bugged and it has to be addressed. They are stalking me from 10 meters away, sprinting all the way to me until they reach that distance, then the first hill I reach, or if I'm at all encumbered, they are certain to attack, and likely kill me. It happens mostly in the early-game when avoiding wolves is most important. Also, baiting is currently broken. I had a wolf following me from 10 meters away today, and I tried to drop TWO rabbit carcasses, TWO, and it ignored both, and walked over both of them to finish me off and end my run. Other people drop bait on youtube and the wolf walks back and forth in one spot, totally buggy behavior. Bug fix wolf stalking, and bug fix wolf baiting. It is unacceptable for Interloper, as nearly-impossible as it already is, to be burdened with WOLF bugs. I don't save scum. This ends good runs, and it's not acceptable. I actually uninstalled the game today because I can't deal with it. Baiting should be one thing: They approach it, they eat it, they leave. If you're too close to the wolf and giving off scent, it may not work. That's okay. But the wolf shouldn't sprint up to 10m away from you, and THEN start stalking you, and THEN ignore your attempts to feed it bait. That's just broken and ridiculous.  However I will say, throwing a torch works 100% of the time now to scare away a wolf who's running at you to attack you. If a wolf starts charging, and you throw a torch, it WILL repel the wolf, as long as you throw it directly at it. I've tested this on Interloper plenty of times now to know it always works. But these other anomalies are too unpredictable. 

Edited by Trunks_Budo

32 minutes ago, odizzido said:

AFAIK they're working as intended. Unfortunately for you and myself wolf behaviour is not very good and could use an overhaul IMO.

Yeah agreed. The one thing I like is that a fireplace keeps them at bay while you're harvesting a carcass, then you can take a torch out of the fire and throw it at the wolf and it'll run. But the stalking from 10 meters away anomaly is ridiculous! Bait is... Well, honestly, I could play without ever using bait. It's a non-issue I think

I sympathize with the struggle of dealing with wolves. You can have a great interloper game going just have it all end instantly with the wrong encounter. The behavior of wolves seem to constantly change through updates making it tricky to know what information to trust.

9 hours ago, Trunks_Budo said:

it says wolves are supposed to follow 30 meters behind you. Wolves are currently bugged and it has to be addressed. They are stalking me from 10 meters away, sprinting all the way to me until they reach that distance, then the first hill I reach, or if I'm at all encumbered, they are certain to attack, and likely kill me

It sounds like you're familiar with the behavior, but I want to write it out just in case...if for nothing else, so someone else can correct any mistakes. At this time (Fearless Navigator update), the wolf will follow you at a particular "stalking speed" from a short "stalking distance" after it spots you. Should you run or manage to widen the gap, the wolf will run to squash whatever gain you had before returning to stalking.  I *think* this stalking distance is dynamic.  For example, if you're over-encumbered (even a little) you'll walk slower than the wolf's stalking speed, they'll close the gap and then fight to maintain their gain. A huge part of this is how far away the wolf was when it saw you. Of course, like you alluded- if you lose line of sight with the wolf, it will sprint until it can see you again. So you have an incentive to either prevent this or sprint yourself after turning a corner to maintain that stalking gap.

9 hours ago, Trunks_Budo said:

I tried to drop TWO rabbit carcasses, TWO, and it ignored both, and walked over both of them to finish me off and end my run. Other people drop bait on youtube and the wolf walks back and forth in one spot, totally buggy behavior.

Baiting has never really worked well for me as I started playing after Fearless Navigator. My understanding was that it was heavily nerfed with Errant Pilgrim. Before then, people were using it as a super reliable way to smash through wolves. You can find old guides recommending walking out into the open with 3 scent bars carrying 20 slivers of bait, so that you can slaughter the map's population as you go through an area.

10 hours ago, Trunks_Budo said:

However I will say, throwing a torch works 100% of the time now to scare away a wolf who's running at you to attack you. If a wolf starts charging, and you throw a torch, it WILL repel the wolf, as long as you throw it directly at it.

Like you said torches, fires, and flares will deter the wolf from charging for a period of time (but not during an aurora). Throwing the torch/flare at the wolf, or aiming with any weapon when it growls at you within a fire's (or with a flare or torch on the ground) safety range will cause it to flee. Without any of that, if you can score a direct hit on a stalking wolf by throwing a stone WITHOUT aiming, you have a solid chance of it turning tail and running off. Currently, wolves won't go into ice fishing huts or even barns like the one near trapper's homestead or the forge at Old Spence Family Homestead.  Of course, if you don't want any wolf pelts, you can also strive to avoid an encounter with wolves altogether which is its own topic.