Observations about long run survival

Morgntorg

Hello,

when I started my run (in the pretty easy difficulty voyageur), I encountered a moose on day 16. It took me 2 shots with the rifle to kill it.
Long time later (more than 100 days), I encountered another one, anhd it took me something like 12 revolver bullets and 2 shots with the rifle (only counting hitting shots) to kill it.

By the way, I find the struggles with wolves harder after 100 days. In early game, I used to lose like ~20% condition, but now it's almost 35/40% of condition in most of struggles (if wolf is full condition).

• Why do you guys think about it? Did you notice it was harder to take down animals after a long journey, or is it just me?

Last question: it looks like the repair skill (hidden skill like gun cleaning and sharppening) is not existing or displayed anymore. I see the sharppenin increasing in the HUD, but nothing for the repair skill....and btw it also never failed as far as I remember.

• Did you check this also?

• Upvote 1

havent noticed anything weird with the HUD display, but have had similar recent experience with the moose in DP.

First one appeared on the bridge around day 3 of my spawn into DP.  I already had the rifle so I popped him with two rifle rounds.  roughly 60 days later he spawns back in on the bridge again and this time it takes me 12 pistol rounds and 3 arrows to drop him.   each shot fired scored a hit, go figure.  Later in the same game a third moose spawns this I bring him down in record time, 1 rifle round and two arrows drop him. 

I dont think it has anything to do with your run time,  I believe a lot of it has to do with shot placement.  8 pistol rounds into his antlers isnt gonna hurt him much let alone kill him.  But when I got lucky and put an arrow right into the front of his face after I already shot him with long gun, he went down pretty quick!  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 7:23 AM, Morgntorg said:

when I started my run (in the pretty easy difficulty voyageur), I encountered a moose on day 16. It took me 2 shots with the rifle to kill it.
Long time later (more than 100 days), I encountered another one, anhd it took me something like 12 revolver bullets and 2 shots with the rifle.

2 shots with the rifle is common.  The pistol is not useful for taking on the moose.  Moose do not bleed so you are relying on damage to kill it.  The pistol taking double digit hits would be expected.  You always want to use rifle or bow here.  Even so it could take one head shot with a good critical hit, or multiple hits depending on RNG, and location of the hits. 

I find the struggles with wolves harder after 100 days. In early game, I used to lose like ~20% condition, but now it's almost 35/40% of condition in most of struggles

There are a lot of variables that could be at play when it comes to struggles.  Your condition when engaged, air temperature, the buffs you may receive from clothing, are you freezing, tired, hungry, thirsty, what weapon you are using to fight the wolf, the click mini game, and on top of that RNG for the fight. 

I wouldn't rule out a difficulty curve on top of all this but it's really hard to come to a conclusion as to such a thing existing or not...

Last question: it looks like the repair skill (hidden skill like gun cleaning and sharppening) is not existing or displayed anymore. I see the sharppenin increasing in the HUD, but nothing for the repair skill....and btw it also never failed as far as I remember

I don't think sharpening has a chance to fail.  The sharpening skill decreases the time required per action, and the tool condition gained as it is leveled up.

Repairing may have a chance to fail, but is a rarity as far as I've noticed.

Clothing mending is definitely one  that has a chance to fail depending on skill level.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for your feedback.

Both of you are probably right: gun bullet doesn t seem to hurt the moose much, next time I'll use rifle or bow only.
Concerning repair skill, I really think it has been emoved, or it s bugged (apparently like the rabbit traps since last update: they never break or lose durability)

• 4 weeks later...