Flare gun <3 timberwolves?

manolitode

I'm saving flare shells on my current loper run, with Bleak Inlet in mind. I want to be able to get to the watchtower (and possibly the cannery) before I level up archery to 5. So, a question for those of you who used a flare gun on timberwolves. 

Do the pack usally scatter? If so, for about how long? Or will it just decrease their morale meter a bit? 

Edited by manolitode

Usually they run. Unless one is charging at you. That one will try to do what they normally do, unless you hit it with the flare. If you do, it runs off, and goes and dies somewhere. Easier to find for a bit lol, since, you know, flarewolf. The rest scatter and panic for same time as other guns.

Tiff🦋

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, TiffTastic said:

Usually they run. Unless one is charging at you. That one will try to do what they normally do, unless you hit it with the flare. If you do, it runs off, and goes and dies somewhere. Easier to find for a bit lol, since, you know, flarewolf. The rest scatter and panic for same time as other guns.

Tiff🦋

Thank you :) Sounds like the best plan is to fire a flare at the pack before they've spotted me and make a run for the tower.

• Upvote 1

On 9/21/2020 at 2:56 PM, manolitode said:

Thank you :) Sounds like the best plan is to fire a flare at the pack before they've spotted me and make a run for the tower.

I dont know. I tried to fire a rifle at timberwolves while I was not spotted. It resulted in immediate attack. So if you want to make a run for the tower, I would not aggro them immediatelly. Maybe stealth aproach will be better and fire as last option. Plus the flare gun ammo is pretty precious to waste it on timberwolves.

It's good to have the flare gun in your inventory but it's not really necessary against timberwolves. I'd suggest saving the shells for stopping charging bears/moose instead.

It's possible to sneak past timberwolves entirely with crouching/distracting with stones to get to the watchtower or radio station in upper BI. Just gotta watch your condition as you may take some freezing damage in the process on Interloper.

• Upvote 1

On 9/28/2020 at 6:28 AM, Zukazan said:

Your best bet to beat timberwolves is to get a flare (blue flare is best) and throw it at them. After you've thrown it go over and pick it up then throw it again, repeat until they all run away. Using a flare gun is a waste of ammo.

Unfortunately because of the damage increase on loper you'd be dead before you manage to scare them all off.

10 hours ago, gotmilkanot said:

It's possible to sneak past timberwolves entirely with crouching/distracting with stones 

Thanks, stones hadn't crossed my mind yet, will definitely try it :)

16 hours ago, acada said:

I dont know. I tried to fire a rifle at timberwolves while I was not spotted. It resulted in immediate attack. So if you want to make a run for the tower, I would not aggro them immediatelly. Maybe stealth aproach will be better and fire as last option. Plus the flare gun ammo is pretty precious to waste it on timberwolves.

Normally I don't need more than a few flare shells for exploring the other regions so I do have some to spare. Stealth is preferable for sure. There aren't too many videos of players flaring timberwolves out there, I think I'll give it a shot just to learn what happens.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/29/2020 at 5:41 AM, gotmilkanot said:

It's possible to sneak past timberwolves entirely with crouching/distracting with stones to get to the watchtower or radio station in upper BI. 

The stones strategy turned out incredibly effective. I'm using it to distract the timberwolves' attention away from me but more often to lure them to a spot below a chosen vantage point where I finish them off with the bow. Sometimes it seems a half-hearted stone throw at a wolfs direction makes it afraid of you forever. 

As I progress slowly (there's enough wolf meat for everyone) through Bleak Inlet there have been a couple of close calls where the timbers spotted me first. I brought enough emergency stims to be able to run without pause to shelter. Have to keep an eye open for safe spots all the time though, still haven't used the flare gun. What's left now is scouting the cannery and hunt them down from stealth one by one. I read somewhere that you can keep the last surviving timberwolf in a pack alive because 1) The rest of the pack won't respawn 2) The last member of the pack will avoid you at all cost. I'm unsure whether this is the case in long term but so far it's been a valid strategy.

• Upvote 1

I did the flare gun bomb shot to scatter the timbers during the Winter's Embrace event, and gave em a few more on the way out.  All for no maple syrups found, but it was fun to waste the ammo anyway (it worked, so not a total waste).  I left the gun lying on the snow for them to sniff at.

Edited by Screenshot Pilgrim
  • Like 1

I struggled in finding a way to deal or circumvent the Timbys when I first got to BI at the launch date but lately I kinda resorted back to just killing them if they ever spot me. Crounching and distracting them with stones work really well, but only if you're aware of the pack movement patterns and can spot them first. So if I don't have archery level 5 I'll just wait until a nice windless day, drop a fire and shoot them straight on. Bring enough arrows and you're set. 

Other strat is getting some raw meat and drawing them out from distance, they all line up beautifully for some long range snipes. You can shoot one of them and then drop the meat in order to make the rest of the pack give up and give you more distance, then rinse and repeat. Easy when crouched, hard when standing because of the distance. 

• Upvote 1