Animal Skin Clothing Types

Bearly Alive

Seems like the natural thing to do would have been to allow complete sets of clothes from different types of animals. For example hat, coat, boots, pants, and mittens all out of rabbit skins. Same goes for all clothing types for wolf, deer, bear, and moose. You can still mix and match but if you wanted to be highly mobile you would go with all rabbit. If you wanted to carry less and be really tough go for all bear skins. --- I also just think it would be cool to wear all rabbit or all wolf, etc...

Edited by Bearly Alive

I like this idea but being all rabbit is a little bit crazy. Lest say a wolfskin coat is made of 4 pelts..each of em is aproximatively 1m by 0.5 meter wich make 0.5 meter square x 4 wich makes 2meter square of rabbit pelts only for the coat and 2m square of rabbitskin is a LOT like 30 or 40 pelts only for the coat. And repairing it would be high in costs but why not if it is in the game and we rarely use that technique it is great. For the other all pelts clothing in favor of adding em.

I would also propose that the wolfskin now weights 0.50kg and the deerskin now weights 0.75 kg they are just transferring their weigts. It makes more sense like that

Yeah, maybe it takes 30 rabbit skins to make a coat but it gives you something to do once you've got settled into a survival game. I've got wolf skins all over the place but no use for them. I'm at 358 days and 98% explored on voyager survival, and maybe I can go map some more areas better but that's about it.

I'm also thinking of a traditional RPG. For example, you wouldn't only find one piece of chainmail for chest and no other chainmail pieces in the whole game. You would find complete sets of leather, chainmail, plate, whatever.

I think it comes down to a certain balance.  If we could make everything out of pelts... then we'd likely stop caring about our regular clothes (and maybe even our cold weather gear all together)... which in turn would make cloth loose a large part of it's value as a resource.

I can understand why Hinterland was more selective about what items could be crafted out of animal pelts.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I do agree that it might be nice to have maybe one more Accessory Item: the Timber Wolf Cowl
Jeremiah.jpg.389efbc1284050ac6d8e0aa5a5bc67cf.jpg

But other than that... I think that between the coats (3 of them), pants, mittens, hat, boots, and bedroll we do already have plenty of items to craft out of cured hides.

Edited by ManicManiac

I would not mind a bit more selection in available animal-hide based clothing but recognize that effort and resources are precious and limited commodities for the Hinterland staff. 

Still I think that a deerskin shirt and, if enhanced by rabbit fur lining, a deerskin jacket would do most towards a full ensemble of animal-hide clothing.  The shirt and jacket do not even have to be better than equivalent modern clothing, that can be left to some future upgrade, maybe just a bit more durable.  Maybe a deerskin shirt (underlayer) to start with then later be able to upgrade it to a jacket (cold weather Daniel Boone or Canadian equivalent :)). 

7 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

But other than that... I think that between the coats (3 of them), pants, mittens, hat, boots, and bedroll we do already have plenty of items to craft out of cured hides.

Yes we have 3 coats and it is enough but what about everything else? We have only one choice to make every other clothes. What about being able to make wolf pants / boots and deerskin bedroll? Etc etc. Oh and i would really like some boots wraps out of furr To place on any boots and give a bit of warmth boost like the ones we can have in red dead redemption two if you know what im talking about

35 minutes ago, oplli said:

but what about everything else?

As I mentioned before:

7 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I think it comes down to a certain balance.  If we could make everything out of pelts... then we'd likely stop caring about our regular clothes (and maybe even our cold weather gear all together)... which in turn would make cloth loose a large part of it's value as a resource.

I can understand why Hinterland was more selective about what items could be crafted out of animal pelts.

Edited by ManicManiac

I do not think that it would make the pelts loose their values not at all. everybody will have to carefully choose what type of pelt he want for his cloth to fit a certain situation. every pelt will gain in value depending on its utility.

of course making a coat out of rabbits / hats out of moose or bear is waaay too exagerated but being able tweak a little bit our clothes to get the perfect mobility/protection/warmth wanted would be nice. and again you could use rabbit for more things not exagerated like boots or earwraps.

I think something is getting lost in translation... I'm not saying anything about the value of pelts.  I was saying that cloth would likely loose a large part of it's value if we could just make everything out of very renewable animal hides.

I say that because if folks can just make every clothing item out of an indefinitely renewable resource (like pelts)... then folks would also likely just not care at all about regular clothing (since why repair regular clothing if we can just replace it with something that's continually and more easily renewable).

...Which, to paraphrase what I said before:  I think it would screw up the balance we have now, and I don't want to see it get screwed up.

:coffee::fire:
The short version: I think being able to make every kind of clothing item out of pelts would just screw up the balance of the game I love.
I don't want that to happen, so I'm not in favor of the idea. :)

Edited by ManicManiac

Just now, ManicManiac said:

I think something is getting lost in translation...

i think two people got lost in translation :D i thaught you were talking about pelts loosing value and you thaught @Bearly Alive was saying we could also make underwear out of pelts. 

as i understood it we would be able to make coats, pants , boots , mittens and hat out of every furrs existing in the game. not inner clothes. as it is now we can only wear furrs in the outside layers and it would not change if we would be able to make everything out of pelts.

This is my understanding