v. 199 A Praise on Pleasant Valley

Maikleeps

I'd like to praise the devs and the whole Hinterland team for putting such an effort in the Pleasant Valley map.

After my last attempt to survive as long as I can had come to end I just wanted to play for fun and get to know the new map with all its new inventions.

Speaking about surviving this map is worth it to call it "how long can you survive?". Especially starting with this map at -20 °C with no insulated clothes wearing, no food and no water this is a real struggle to survive. Having said that, this struggle becomes only difficult when you don't know where the shelter is. While I am continuing playing I remember now where to find the precious shelter. Conclusion: I like the idea of that huge map with very little places to hide from the storm. Unfortunately once you get to know the map better it is not that difficult anymore. Especially when you come from another map and you are well equipped. Don't get me wrong, this map is still challenging, but not as much as when you start at it.

Speaking about the presentation of the interior design: When I first came to PV Farmstead I thought "this house looks different from the other buildings". And indeed. I was very surprised to see how detailed everything looks. All looks untidy. There are toys lying on the bottom in the first floor. The drawer has been removed from the cabinet and is put on the table. Cabinet doors have been removed and are lying on the ground or on the desk. There are items spawning inside open cabinets and not only in closed cabinets. And there is even more to discover. I am very impressed. Keep up the good work - good job though!

toys.thumb.jpg.7eff1d1c62b4fdf08110e222d

untidy.thumb.jpg.1d6050a3b8b9632cfc760e5

Indeed, my favourite area of the game atm, and a welcome addition after Coastal Highway, which I didn't like that much (it's good, but just too much stuff around, too easy to survive). I love the wide open plains, and the forested areas, especially around the signal mast. Still haven't found the cache though, even after more than 40 days in the area, as the weather gets bad fast on the upper slopes.

I very much like the new map. Coastal Highway doesn't feel like much of a wilderness survival, more of just wolf dodging and looking through 300 cabinets. I spent my first night outside ever in TLD in the Pleasant Valley map because I couldn't find my way back. It's almost impossible to not find shelter in the other two maps. The feeling of not being within a few minutes walk from a shelter is a challenging and exciting. I hope any additional maps would keep with this approach of more empty space.

• 2 weeks later...

True the farmhouse offers such a nice detail. You can definitely feel that you are alone and something went really wrong.

It could be nice from the dev team to offer variances in the other building on the other maps as well.

For example most of the Lake Cabins are almost identical. We should get a variation and probably randomness as well?

I am with the people who love Pleasant Valley. It’s my favorite region. PV challenges me as a Voyager player to use given survival techniques. There is enough space to unfold "survival creativity". You are barely forced to try things you would not in Coastal Highyway or Mystery Lake, like sleeping outside. I got my achivements "spend 1 / 3 nights outside" and I was full of pride.

I also like the new types of buildings in PV.

I am with the people who love Pleasant Valley. It’s my favorite region. PV challenges me as a Voyager player to use given survival techniques. There is enough space to unfold "survival creativity". You are barely forced to try things you would not in Coastal Highyway or Mystery Lake, like sleeping outside. I got my achivements "spend 1 / 3 nights outside" and I was full of pride.

I also like the new types of buildings in PV.

Agreed, this is one of the cases of the "size matters" situations.

I am with the people who love Pleasant Valley. It’s my favorite region.

It's my favorite region as well. :)

But to me, it's not so much a matter of size but rather of tranquility. A map with few wildlife just feels so much more peaceful than CH with its hundreds of "rabid" wolves. Entering PV is almost like going on vacation.^^

And I love the fact that you have to plan each of your steps in PV very thoroughly in order to survive blizzards and get along with the limited resources. ;)

Archived