What to expect if you encounter a wolf - ODFW

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/13/2020 at 3:51 PM, Glflegolas said:

Alas, there are no wolves where I live in Nova Scotia. They were extirpated a couple hundred years ago. The closest place where I might find them is north of the St. Lawrence in Quebec.

I've hiked and camped in the Rockies west of Calgary all my life.  I've only ever seen two or three wolves and they all behaved much like the one in the video... fleeing when they noticed that I was there.  I suspect there have been many more in the woods, but they kept their distance because they noticed I was there sooner than I noticed them.

I have encountered bears that were more habituated to people... raiding campgrounds and garbage dumps.  They were not as easily convinced to flee as ones encountered farther out in the back country.  I remember a neighboring camper (who was traveling on a motorcycle and camping in a tent) resorting to beating a black bear with his cast iron frying pan in order to stop the bear from destroying his bike trying to get into his saddle bags for food.  I was surprised when he did manage to convince the bear to flee and he was left uninjured.  Still, it would have been safer for him to have removed his food supplies from his bike and hung them in a sack from a tree or stored them in the lockers near the camp entrance that Parks Canada had built for that very purpose.  That night, that same bear came back into the campground and thoroughly "investigated" our tent.  I was awoken to see the shadow of his nose just outside the tent canvas from my own nose.  Paralyzed, I didn't move.  Since we had no food or anything with an odor at our campsite (safely stored in said lockers), the bear did eventually just lose interest and wandered off into the dark.  He came back again though the next morning while we were cooking our breakfast.  Fortunately, we were a fairly large group, and by standing together must have seemed to him to be more than he thought he could handle, so he fled again.  However, not to tempt fate further, we spent the next night safe in a hotel in Jasper.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

@UpUpAway95, you were probably camping out on pilgrim dificulty 😁

Nah... I always play on Custom difficulty. 😀 ... and unlike TLD, we had the option to change the difficulty setting during the run (and permit ourselves to stay in a hotel the one night and leave the bear to harass campers other than us).  It was a nice hotel... fireplace in the room, a nice bottle of wine... good times.  I imagine Parks Canada wardens eventually either relocated the problem bear somewhere deeper into the back country or killed it.  We have a saying about bears that become habituated to humans and start to rely on scavenging campgrounds and dumps for food - A fed bear is a dead bear.

BTW - It's not permitted to use a firearm (including a bow) within Canada's National Parks.  Here's a link to their regulations:

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/voyage-travel/regles-rules

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...