Checking if there is rabbit spot depletion

acada

Thanks to @Loonsloon there is one science attempt I want to do. Check if it is possible to deplete rabbit farm/spot/groove...

Settings:

• Voyager difficulty, start at 259 day.
  • 6 traps, checked once per day at morning.
  • If a trap is ruined, it is replaced immediatelly to avoid go out of sync.
  • Traps are placed in the same spot.
  • Location is few meters north from Jackrabbit island cabin.
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I can tell you - it is possible, and also not all rabbit groves are created equal, i.e. some will replenish fast and some more slowly.

A spot like Jackrabbit will probably be one of the good ones, and on Voyageur you may not be able to deplete it.

All spots in the Ravine (except maybe the Basin, which I haven't checked) deplete fast and take long to replenish. Trapper's Homestead and Marsh Ridge, on the other hand, have lots of rabbits.

I plan to continue. I have three goals. Check if it is possible, get Expert Trapper and move my run towards 500 day. Though it may not be every day post. Rabbits can feed my character in game (although Astrid seemed little bit anoyed last day, so I had to take her fishing), but my family needs real food.

Day 6: 4 rabbits, 0 snares ruined , weight 0,8-0,9 per rabbit
Day 7: 0 rabbits, 4 snares ruined 
Day 8: 4 rabbits, 0 snares ruined , weight 0,9-1,4 per rabbit

I got bonus wolf on day 6. He came up to house to discuss who owns the rabbit hunting ground. 

When there is time and my Astrid is not harvesting rabbits or recreating traps, she wander down to nearest fishing cabin. Fish and rabbits combined could feed maybe two survivors. Of course it is only voyager difficulty.

• Like 1

Day 9: 5 rabbits, 0 snares ruined , weight 0,8-1,1 per rabbit
Day 10: 4 rabbits, 0 snares ruined , weight 0,9-1,2 per rabbit
Day 11: 6 rabbits, 0 snares ruined , weight 0,8-1,5 per rabbit

The wolfs mob heard about my successful bussiness and they did not hear from the first guy.  So they sent another payoff collector. He now sleeps with fishes. ( his carcass is on the sea edge, so I rather left it there) I have to utilize new method of rabbit harvesting. To have 6 of them on me seems to attract unwanted attention. I will harvest them of the ground now and get rid of all meat and guts.

There is another problem raising. I dont want to waste, so I harvest all pelts and guts. At day 11 I have 1/3 of one cupboard full and there is ton of drying on the ground. Anybody who wanders on Jackrabbit island: I am opening fur trade. 😁

Day 12: 2 rabbits, 0 snares ruined , weight 3,1 kg
Day 13: 4 rabbits, 1 snares ruined , weight 4,1 kg
Day 14: 2 rabbits, 1 snares ruined , weight 2,2 kg

I have decided to put overall meat weight in the result, it is better value. I aproximated the total gain of meat from day 1-11 is about 42-45 kg. If you check some of my poor days, 2 kilos is 1156 ccal with Astrid's cooking. I dont know if it would suffice through the night, but she would be starving over day. Plus there are 0 days.

Lucky she needs to train archery. This run she did not waited for those grey mobsters and she payed visit to their territory. Who's the boss now huh?

3 hours ago, acada said:

Day 12: 2 rabbits, 0 snares ruined , weight 3,1 kg
Day 13: 4 rabbits, 1 snares ruined , weight 4,1 kg
Day 14: 2 rabbits, 1 snares ruined , weight 2,2 kg

I have decided to put overall meat weight in the result, it is better value. I aproximated the total gain of meat from day 1-11 is about 42-45 kg. If you check some of my poor days, 2 kilos is 1156 ccal with Astrid's cooking. I dont know if it would suffice through the night, but she would be starving over day. Plus there are 0 days.

Lucky she needs to train archery. This run she did not waited for those grey mobsters and she payed visit to their territory. Who's the boss now huh?

Thanks for your little experiment here.
Might we see a fancy graph like Timberwolf did with his wolf-struggle experiment?

->

I can do such graph. I am waiting to some conclusion of the test. 13 days seems to be not the end. I will close it either when the earning drops to 0 for several days or when it will seem, the value is not going to converge to 0.

There is only one thing I can read from my data now. 6 traps are not enough to fully feed survivor on voyager difficulty. I think it is enough for surviving, but survivor would be starving time to time.

Day 18. Still no end. The rabbitses are still beeing caught into snares. It seems like wolfs are breeding at the same rate as rabbits. 

I have checked the energy balance. My Astrid burns cca ~3000 kcal per day. 1 kilo of cooked rabbit meat is 563 kcal. The energy balance of these 18 days is ~ 40 000 kcal gained and 54 000 kcal burnt which results in  14 000 kcal loss. 6 snares is not definitely not enough for full life without starving.

• Upvote 1

Day 25. Last three days my Astrid gathered only about 2-3 kilos of rabbit per day while 3 snares were destroyed. The curve of the harvest took downward direction. But she is patient. It can be just temporary. Lucky her, she know how to fish. If it would not be so, she would be hungry. Her archery is awful. (I mean my archery, it take 3-5 shots at deer to hit him. Wolfs are bunch of elusive bastards.)

Here is report after 31 days. Remind you, it is Voyager difficulty and only 6 traps. The test will continue, this is just apetizer.

Around day 25 it seemed like the test is ending. But it is ressurected. Still it seems like linear regression of number snared rabbits has some downwards tendency. 

Summary of one month snaring is 103 rabbits caught, 116 kilos of meat gathered, 15 snares destroyed. Since rabbitses gave me enough guts, I can count only 6 recycled wood as investment.

Energy-wise it is not good. I have gained 65 139 kcal from the meat. But my average consumption is 3 000 per day, which means loss of 27 860 kcal. It is survivible, but my goal is not let Astrid starve. Not even little bit.

Here are some graphs. The first one is simple number of snared rabbits. Orange line is linear regression. It seemed like most accurate.Rabbits.thumb.PNG.0dcbda9a3a8c1ccedcea2698244df8c7.PNG

Second one is energy. Blue is total gathered from the rabbit meat, orange is balance whether Astrid is above zero.

energy.thumb.PNG.a9fa5e98b188fc87fce7b958a3d15920.PNG

So if you dont want to starve, build more snares.

Edited by acada

• 6 months later...

I forgot to put in continuation. I was running the test for 50 days. Then update happened and my character went venturing to Ash Canyon and not come back yet. Here are the decreasing graphs. This is number of snared rabbits

image.thumb.png.64ba56096ef578d7a38413e9201b48e9.png

And here it is energy total and balance:

image.thumb.png.68ae98ffdeedbfc4b19e04578a0d01a6.png

I know these results are not conclusive. I have not reached the zero. But the trend can be seen. I dont know what is the animal population decrease curve on voyager. I hit 300 days when the test was around 35-40 days.