item deterioration

tulkawen

Hello,

To my knowledge, every game difficulty deteriorates world items at a different pace. I wanted to ask, what if I select pilgrim as my base template in custom and then alter individual sliders to highest difficulty and toggle wild life on. Will this deteriorate items at 75% rate or whatever pilgrim rate is?

Reason being, I would like to play the Long Dark Year game, but I don't want to do a mad rush at the beginning to collect every map. I would like to find items later in the game, but I am used to playing on Interloper or higher difficulty.

I'm also aware there is an individual slider that adjusts item deterioration rate, but if I'm not mistaken this setting is when you already own an item and it means how fast it breaks while you're using it. If I set it on low, I'm guessing this won't slow down world decay. Please let me know if that's the case.

There is no setting in the game to where you can take like a 1000+ day character into a completely new, unexplored region, and not have the items affected by global decay.  Items you haven't found yet are always going to be affected by whatever day you're on.  (With the exception of items that do not decay at all of course, like crackers and cups of coffee.)  Pilgrim has the slowest decay rates though, so using Pilgrim decay will give you the most time to find stuff.

15 hours ago, tulkawen said:

Slow rate world decay is the only thing I want from Pilgrim. I'd like to know, if I go to custom, select pilgrim, but then crank everything up to high difficulty if this will give me slow world decay but hard everything else in terms of survival.

Well it'd be simpler to select Interloper and then just dial Item Decay Rate back to Low, but yes that's the gist of things.

23 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Well it'd be simpler to select Interloper and then just dial Item Decay Rate back to Low, but yes that's the gist of things.

ajb thank you for getting to into this conversation :)

That's the thing though. I thought World Decay and Item Decay are NOT the same thing.