TRUE SURVIVAL COMES TO NINTENDO SWITCH

Admin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/23/2020 at 7:05 AM, oakwooden said:

Congrats on the launch, I've been looking forward to this for a long time.

I have some feedback that I hope can be addressed.

- The motion controls are currently using the gyroscope's yaw to calculate horizontal camera moment. Yaw is sometimes used for handheld mode specifically, because turning the entire console in that way feels a bit more natural. But Roll is the standard for detached joycons and pro controllers, so most people used to gyro aiming on the switch will find it difficult. The best solution is to add an option where the user can pick between roll and yaw to aim on the horizontal axis.

- Motion controls do not have their own dedicated sensitivity setting. Their default setting is also very sensitive for this type of slower-paced, exploratory game. Most players will want to turn down the motion controls but the stick sensitivity will be so low that it will make broad camera movement agonizingly slow (say, for turning around). Motion aiming needs it's own sensitivity slider separate from stick sensitivity.

I really appreciate that your team took the time to implement motion controls as I struggle to play games without them. Unfortunately they are currently very unwieldy and difficult to use comfortably. Hoping for a fix ❤️

I just came here to say exactly that.

Thanks oakwooden cause, english isn't my native language so that would have been way more complicated to describe.

I've just bought the game on switch, waiting a little discount as i already play it on PC. The port is great, and i'm so happy to be able to have this gem on the go. But even if the game isn't a shooter, we do point at small item very often, gyro is such a blessing for console FPS (i'm also first a PC gamer and gyro was such a relief for me when playing with a gamepad) and the game feel of The long dark would benefit a tone if done right.

I really hope someone at hinterland will read that and we'll have some patch one day.
❤️

Edited by Twisty
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi,there. 

Why don’t you, the Hinterland members, release TLD Switch ver. online at the Japanese eShop?

I heard that you are only required the IARC rating, Japanese description on the store page and the customer support in Japanese language. 

I think it will be great. This is because  I found some potential players in a Japanese  Nintendo Switch community, and your game is already included Japanese subtitles.

• 3 months later...
On 12/21/2020 at 11:37 AM, Twisty said:

I just came here to say exactly that.

Thanks oakwooden cause, english isn't my native language so that would have been way more complicated to describe.

I've just bought the game on switch, waiting a little discount as i already play it on PC. The port is great, and i'm so happy to be able to have this gem on the go. But even if the game isn't a shooter, we do point at small item very often, gyro is such a blessing for console FPS (i'm also first a PC gamer and gyro was such a relief for me when playing with a gamepad) and the game feel of The long dark would benefit a tone if done right.

I really hope someone at hinterland will read that and we'll have some patch one day.
❤️

Hey ! Almost a year after but you did it !

The last patch allow us to configure how gyro work without modifying the stick setting. And it's a million time better ! Thanks for that.

Now there's still some option missing to make the gyro 100% efficient. That is a option to allow for "yaw/roll" gyro meaning we could use our controller gyro (now the gyro works for a handled switch, not docked with a pro controller, it's a different gyro axis that is used).

And also make that the "aiming" button (L2) works when you don't hold a weapon, so we could use the gyro also when aiming at object or anytime we feel like it, not only in combat (i know we can have it "always on" but it's not ideal neither if we don't have a way to disable it for repositioning the device when needed).

I have no idea if you guys read those comments, i admit i was a little bit "bitter" to see no answers from you concerning those demands since last year, but i'm pretty happy to finally have this patch (i'm a patient gamer :3). It's a shame cause it would make TLD experience so much better on switch. Hope you read it and we'll have a way to fine tune our controls on this version to.

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
17 hours ago, Twisty said:

I have no idea if you guys read those comments, i admit i was a little bit "bitter" to see no answers from you concerning those demands since last year

They do read pretty much everything. They hardly ever engage with the community directly, however. 😉

Also: just watched that trailer again. Man that thing hits home.

On 12/12/2021 at 3:18 AM, jeffpeng said:

They do read pretty much everything. They hardly ever engage with the community directly, however. 😉

Also: just watched that trailer again. Man that thing hits home.

Good to know, thanks for the answer. :)

Hope we'll have a way to activate the gyro without any weapon then, and the possibility to choose the right/left axis with a future patch.

On 12/11/2021 at 12:46 AM, Twisty said:

The last patch allow us to configure how gyro work without modifying the stick setting. And it's a million time better ! Thanks for that.

Now there's still some option missing to make the gyro 100% efficient. That is a option to allow for "yaw/roll" gyro meaning we could use our controller gyro (now the gyro works for a handled switch, not docked with a pro controller, it's a different gyro axis that is used).

And also make that the "aiming" button (L2) works when you don't hold a weapon, so we could use the gyro also when aiming at object or anytime we feel like it, not only in combat (i know we can have it "always on" but it's not ideal neither if we don't have a way to disable it for repositioning the device when needed).

I have no idea if you guys read those comments, i admit i was a little bit "bitter" to see no answers from you concerning those demands since last year, but i'm pretty happy to finally have this patch (i'm a patient gamer :3). It's a shame cause it would make TLD experience so much better on switch. Hope you read it and we'll have a way to fine tune our controls on this version to.

Thank you for the feedback. We'll post an update to the forums if this changes. Thanks again! 

• Admin unpinned this topic
On 12/11/2021 at 2:46 AM, Twisty said:

Hey man, thanks for pointing this out!!! I couldn't find the Switch patch notes, so would have never even known! Much appreciated :)