Where's the fun?

stirfoo

I've been playing the TLD for a while now. I keep waiting for the fun that never comes. No fun, and very little skill involved. Either X is guaranteed or completely up to the RNG. So if there's no real fun, why would I keep playing it? After giving it some thought, I've come to the conclusion it's an addiction, pure and simple. It's like those mindless "unboxing" videos that get millions of views. Every container is a little package I get to open. If it contains an item (any item), my brain releases those feel-good chemicals called endorphins. Weeeeee, I got a prize! That's TLD in a nut shell. You frantically run from one slot machine to the next. And there's a lot of handles to pull! Most everything else in the game is filler, literally there to pass time until the next pull.

• Upvote 1

There’s also things like the truly beautiful scenery, the atmosphere of the game, and the imagination some of the enigmatic tableau scenes you come across during the course of any given sandbox. Also, that you can see things during your 27th sandbox run that you never saw despite being there many times in the past. While these are not things that get you points I find them to be quite rewarding themselves, in addition to the survival accomplishments and the thrill of finding stuff. That’s just me tho. I’ve played hundreds of games since the apple IIe, and honestly this one is something special.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Have you played interloper? Have you encountered any wolves? Have you seen the smoke trails from the wood burner in the forestry lookout caught high in the blue sky? I admit, they way I play its basically a walking game which isn't everyone's idea of fun but let me tell you - its damn skilled walking.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 4

I feel the game quite opposite. Those boxes are filler. And only for first few days. There are other things in the game.

The scenery. Although it is not filled with ultra mega hyper details like other games like Far Cry, it is somehow beautiful.

The planning. Even though you are equipped, the game can end your character rather quickly (or slowly when you are trapped in mine with no aurora). Resources are limited and you want to strech them.

The permadeath. It is not terrible for first few days. But later I would not like to part with my character I have been much through.

The freedom. I like the fact there are no quest. There are only tasks you create for yourself. Somebody is mapping whole region (good luck with that, maybe new region is comming). I am playing with rabbitses and bearses now.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

@stirfoo That's perfectly fine and I'm sure there are other games out there that may suit you better.

Though it's interesting that two people can perceive the same game so differently. You play it cause it kickstarts your neurochemistry. I play it to relax and it's the only game so far that will actually slow my mind down rather than excite it. Skill leveling aside, I don't see that this game was designed to engage your reward mechanisms. Both visual and sound effects for finding loot in a box or slaying a deer are very very subtle for a video game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

It’s really hard to pin down why this game works. On paper, the OP is correct. But somehow, the sum of its parts is essentially intangible by conventional metrics but enormously greater than the sum of even incredibly complex games. Cause the formula this game uses, it’s the next best thing to magic I’ve found. There’s not another 5 games combined that equal the time I’ve spent playing this game. And I’ve no plans to stop.....

• Like 1

Thanks for all the constructive replies folks. Hope I didn't come off as an ass. I'm really not bitter. Just some personal observations. Maybe a little ranting. I've put about 550 hours into the game working my way up to interloper. Stalker got boring. I think I've given it a fair shake. Definitely got my money's worth.  Oh, and I too think the goofy cartoon graphics are great. I've got more than one screenshot saved. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

On 9/22/2020 at 12:25 AM, stirfoo said:

I've put about 550 hours into the game working my way up to interloper. Stalker got boring. I think I've given it a fair shake. 

I think you've raised some salient points about continued gameplay in survival mode pending the constant waiting for story mode to develop.  What is there to do when it's just you and an open sandbox?  Sometimes it feels like repetitive work just going thru the motions of surviving for yet another day.  I can see why as you said, you feel like your waiting for the fun to come and it never does.  I've been feeling that way a lot lately, especially after the buzz of syrup quest wore off.

...with the whole covid thing and the story line development delays, I think it's about time that Raphael think about opening up to allowing for some sanctioned modding and encourage the submission of some user generated content.  i bet there's a ton of talent out there ready to throw in now.  

• 2 weeks later...

I think if you break down any game to its base elements you could say the same thing. It's really all about what you enjoy and your expectations of a game when you buy it.

I'm surprised that you bought a game that you dont find enjoyable. Did you watch trailers before purchasing? Not sure what you might have been expecting. I always watch the trailer and a few play videos (not enough to spoil the game) just to see if it appeals.

TLD is definitely not an action game or a horror survival. Its a survival strategy game. It's not about controller skills at all. Its about strategic thinking, patience, and resource management. And if you prefer to be with other people to have fun, this is not the game for you. The solitary nature of the games adds to the ambiance and challenge, but you really need to be comfortable with yourself (and I mean all on your own for hours) to really enjoy this game.

When I play some of the big popular games it just seems like all chaotic movement and noise. I find it repetitive and boring. Locate, aim, shoot, loot. Locate, aim, shoot, loot. I used to play strategy shooters, loved being a sniper, but after a few years there was just no more challenge. The games were all the same with different scenery. And I have to listen to a bunch of people yelling and cursing and complaining. LoL Just not my thing at all.

My favorite games have always been solo games. Building, resources management, horror, war strategy...I love them all but just like playing in solitude.

As far as TLD, if opening boxes annoys you, play Interloper. Its almost never worth bothering to open them anyway. :)

Cheers!

Edited by FluffyComeHome

I got the game recently (Switch player) and this is one of the only games I play daily (whether I stream it or not).  It just sort of relaxes me and helps me sleep at night.  It seems to be releasing whatever stress I've been feeling for the last 7 months -.- . .probably been stressed longer, but I know I am a newer player, but I love the game.  I have also learned how to read a map.  The scaled maps people have created over the years, while some are out of date, I can figure out where I am by looking at the map and the scenery around me. I consider that a bonus LOL.

In truth I have the same problem. My longest loper run is 140 days because, once I've been everywhere and crafted everything, I wanted the challenge back. That's why i turned to outloper and lately the Zero challenge. But I think the game has achieved incredible depth in aspects of risk and planning that others just haven't. And many other long lived games are quite shallow but there's enough content to keep you from noticing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2020 at 6:06 PM, stirfoo said:

I've been playing the TLD for a while now. I keep waiting for the fun that never comes. No fun, and very little skill involved. Either X is guaranteed or completely up to the RNG. So if there's no real fun, why would I keep playing it? After giving it some thought, I've come to the conclusion it's an addiction, pure and simple. It's like those mindless "unboxing" videos that get millions of views. Every container is a little package I get to open. If it contains an item (any item), my brain releases those feel-good chemicals called endorphins. Weeeeee, I got a prize! That's TLD in a nut shell. You frantically run from one slot machine to the next. And there's a lot of handles to pull! Most everything else in the game is filler, literally there to pass time until the next pull.

Could very well be.  Astute of you to notice.  Addiction?  Possible.  If it makes you feel good, and there is no harm in that, is that so bad?