Farming, bees, canning

Benedice

I love this game, however i would love to have additional content, less based on survival and more on thriving.  

I would love to gain some husbandry, collecting cans to create food storage potential, even bees for honey, or maple tree taps, would be a lot of fun.  There is so much potential in this game.  

Anybody else feel this way? 

@Benedice

I love this game too, but I don't want the game to become something else.

I don't think I would like adding husbandry, canning, farming crops, or tending to bees in this game.
Generally speaking, when I feel like farming, breeding livestock, bee keeping, or canning... I tend to want to play Stardew Valley or Minecraft.

I would not want The Long Dark to become more like Minecraft or Stardew Valley... I much prefer Hinterland's vision and I love the game they've made.

:coffee::fire:

While I like having things in the game, bees don't do anything during the winter because it's too cold. Farming crops wouldn't work for the same reason, it's too cold.

You could always try adding animal care into the game but the effort would never be worth it. Animals require a lot of food, food you would have to collect. Since it would almost certainly be nothing but a detriment to survival, adding it would be questionable.

Now canning could be good. Being able to can your meat at the canning factory both makes sense and could have potential benefit. While it would only turn 1000 calories of Wolf into 1000 calories of Wolf in a can for more effort it could reduce the scent of that wolf meat to zero. It could be nice for traveling if you're able to do it.

Edited by odizzido

59 minutes ago, odizzido said:

Canning could be good. Being able to can your meat at the canning factory both makes sense and could have potential benefit. While it would only turn 1000 calories of Wolf into 1000 calories of Wolf in a can for more effort it could reduce the scent of that wolf meat to zero. It could be nice for traveling if you're able to do it.

i definitely like this idea i just dont think it is a priority. Reducing sent of meat is a great idea however if you are not living near the cannery would it be worth it? i mean you could prepare dozen of cans i case of a future journey but after you would have to transport them to your base etc etc. if this were to be part of a bigger update like food update meal update or something like that it would definitely worth the time.

I am definately not playing this game like most people.  And they can easily add my options as expansion pack so you dont have to play it my way, and i wouldnt have to play it yours. Problem solved.  And minecraft is soo stupid.  This is so much better than janky minecraft.   

On 9/14/2020 at 1:43 PM, odizzido said:

I don't know how canning works but if there are non electrical options it could give people something to do while waiting for an aurora for the ammo bench

They can easily add it under in the stove option as a hot water bath canning.  It wouldnt be that difficult.  I know many are playing this as a die hard survival. I dont, not my type of game.   I am more survive to thrive, and this gsme is the closest with excellent graphics, and an incredible ease of introductory gsme play.  I really want an expansion pack to add in more variability.  Its so close to being everything i have ever wanted!!!

And husbandry can be accomplished, if they threw in a greenhouse.  Sewrch for seeds, harvesting seeds through drying things that grew, boiling water to make sure the plants receive enough water.  It changes the original intent of the game but can add a whole dimension that us girls love.  

They can easily add it under in the stove option as a hot water bath canning.  It wouldnt be that difficult.  I know many are playing this as a die hard survival. I dont, not my type of game.   I am more survive to thrive, and this gsme is the closest with excellent graphics, and an incredible ease of introductory gsme play.  I really want an expansion pack to add in more variability.  Its so close to being everything i have ever wanted!!!

I don't know how canning works but if there are non electrical options it could give people something to do while waiting for an aurora for the ammo bench

If you're canning low-acid foods, such as a tin of sardines or a simple mason jar of meat and water, it needs to be brought up to a temperature sufficient to kill clostridium botulinum.  This requires a pressure canner, which is basically a very large pressure cooker, that you use to cook the jars at 240F/115C for 90 minutes.  You can certainly do it over a fire, although you really need to watch it like a hawk since controlling the heat isn't as easy as with a gas or electric stove.

Another consideration... if we are using can openers and knives (that is to say cutting our cans open).  Where are we getting intact lids to seal the cans?  :D
No intact lids... no canning.  We couldn't just use recycled cans for that... both because the lid is cut out when we open canned goods, and the rim of that lid is still left behind on the recycled can.

Granted, a person could work the lip of the old/cut lid off... but that would still beg the question: Where would we find a new intact lid to replace it?

Besides, given the rate of decay on canned goods in the game, I don't think it would really be worth all the trouble.  :D

Edited by ManicManiac

I'm honestly not trying to be pedantic about canning... so I'll list a few cogent counter-points for my previous post about replacement can lids (to save some time :D)

1.  It's a game... after all we conjure plastic water bottles out of the ether (or aether if you prefer the archaic form) when we need one.  :D
2. It could simply cost two recycled cans to make one that is ready to process (that is to say we get the intact lid from the bottom of another recycled can).

3. Bleak Inlet has an actual cannery.  They would likely have supplies for canning there.  :)

But... I'll say again:

Given the rate of decay on canned goods in the game, I still don't think it would really be worth all the trouble.   :D

Edited by ManicManiac

8 hours ago, odizzido said:

The fact that canned goods decay fast enough that it's a bad means of preservation says a lot...

I think the atmosphere on Great Bear is 87% sulfuric acid, because I have a t-shirt IRL that's old enough to vote and I've never once had to repair it with a sewing kit.

• Like 2