New Item: Digital Camera


Recommended Posts

I'm a little surprised I haven't seen this suggested before. I would like to see a digital camera added to the game. (Yes, I know that you can take screen shots!) Here's what I would suggest:

  • You would have to equip it to use it, similar to weapons or charcoal.
  • Finite battery life, but rechargeable at computers during an aurora.
  • A set number of photos on the camera, let's say 36.
  • Each photo would be date-stamped and correspond to an icon on the map (similar to the  icons from the spray can).
  • There would be a "selfie" mode, where the camera would shoot backward and an image of your avatar would be superimposed on the scene.
  • You could designate a photo as the "photo of the day" which would remove it from the camera roll and put it in the journal, visible on the day you shot it. This would give players a way to keep a visual record of their run along with the other stats, etc. that are kept.

For me, this would add a lot of interest to longer runs, since it would allow me to better document my survivors experiences. Voyageur and Pilgrim players could start with a camera, Stalker and Interloper players would have to find one.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, odizzido said:

A digital camera shouldn't work....though one that doesn't require power should.

i totally agree.why not instead of rechargin it, being able to find some polaroid that are not used to take picture it would not be 36 it would be one and everytime you wanna take a picture you will need to waint until it develops or just have an animation in wich our character shakes the image and then is slowly appears.

 

also it would be nice if the picture updates the map and when we click on the spot we can see the image

Link to post
Share on other sites

mmm ... it's always possible to retcon things into an existing story, e.g. very low-power devices could still work, even if devices that require more power do not.

I didn't suggest a film camera because it's not interesting to me. I don't see the need for more treasure-hunting for things like film. But the ability to visually document every day of an extended run, that would be cool.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dr. S. said:

mmm ... it's always possible to retcon things into an existing story, e.g. very low-power devices could still work, even if devices that require more power do not.

I didn't suggest a film camera because it's not interesting to me. I don't see the need for more treasure-hunting for things like film. But the ability to visually document every day of an extended run, that would be cool.

i may not have expressed myself clearly beacause i dont know exactly what its called. before a picture is taken the polaroid is white when im talking about polaroid im talking about those polaroids. the unused ones. so to use the camera you have to first find a camera and then find a box full of white polaroid.

polaroids already exists in the game that would make sense to be able to take polaroids pictures. and if we look at the technology on great bear it looks like we are not  after the 80's so a digital camera wouldnt make much sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One more thing that a lot of folks don't always consider is that the initial flare would have likely fried small wires and other sensitive electronic components.  I don't think we can't just put (presumably) wildly fluctuating voltages through electronics and assume they'll work.

:coffee::fire:

Edited by ManicManiac
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, oplli said:

polaroids already exists in the game that would make sense to be able to take polaroids pictures.

True... "Instant cameras" (Polaroid was a specific brand of instant camara) were sufficiently analogue/mechanical to work post flare.  That's a good point.

The only thing that would not be likely to work would be the built-in flash (which is fine because that's not really necessary for the camera itself to work).


:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ManicManiac said:

True... "Instant cameras" (Polaroid was a specific brand of instant camara) were sufficiently analogue/mechanical to work post flare.  That's a good point.

The only thing that would not be likely to work would be the built-in flash (which is fine because that's not really necessary for the camera itself to work).


:coffee::fire::coffee:

you are right. i read somewhere that the only electronics that could survie an IEM Electromagnetic something (sorry i dont know the word in english) is some types of batteries so even if a camera that has a battery could have survived, the whole system could be broken.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2020 at 1:13 AM, oplli said:

you are right. i read somewhere that the only electronics that could survie an IEM Electromagnetic something (sorry i dont know the word in english) is some types of batteries so even if a camera that has a battery could have survived, the whole system could be broken.  

At the fictional level of The Long Dark even batteries wouldn't function. That's why the flashlight loses it's charge when the morning comes around

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now