Death by Harvesting

Dhaynswoah

Survival mode has a tendency to be unforgiving for the unwary, ignorant, and careless. 

You should have cancelled the action once it became clear that things were not going to go well.  That was often how things work in TLD.  There were almost no warnings about player actions.  So now you have seen what happened when harvesting a large animal and didn't pay attention to what was happening around you.  As most TLD experienced players would say, "dying from sometimes unfortunate circumstances happens in the game, learn from it and be more careful". 

Better luck on your next run. 

I knew that would be the response. Typically I wholeheartedly agree. In this case, though, the action was accidental. I was curious about the total time it would take to harvest, knowing that there was no way in frozen hell I’d be able to actually do it. Sheer curiosity. Then I hit the wrong button. Coupe de gras was that I couldn’t cancel in time, because the game skips time very quickly when you try to harvest 10h. And in reality, that’s not something anybody would ever actually do during a storm. At my doorstep.

18 hours ago, Dhaynswoah said:

Coupe de gras was that I couldn’t cancel in time, because the game skips time very quickly when you try to harvest 10h. And in reality, that’s not something anybody would ever actually do during a storm. At my doorstep.

Ah I kind of see what you mean.. 10 hours is so long that even a couple of seconds during the harvest period could mean death due to the cold should you accidentally press the button to start it. This is akin to accidentally double clicking raw meat in your inventory, your character eats it when you just mean to look at it.

You could argue that the player should just be more careful with the controls, but a better GUI design might be possible. How did you accidentally trigger the harvest? Did you misclick or hit a shortcut like enter?

Edited by darkscaryforest