[SUGGESTION] Wake up / stop crafting when Dehydrated

smohyee

The character currently gets thirsty pretty fast in this game, and the physical toll of dehydration needs to be tuned. Consider: not drinking water for 12 hours causes the same damage to your condition as being attacked by a wolf...

This becomes even more unrealistic when crafting, sleeping, foraging, or otherwise triggering a passage of time without control of your character. How many of us have gone to bed a little thirsty, and only to lose 30% condition over the course of a night's sleep? In a real life situation, wouldn't you wake up and get a glass of water before you died of dehydration?

Thus, I propose that when crafting or sleeping, if your thirst level reaches 'DEHYDRATED', that you are either automatically wake up / stop crafting, or else that an option dialogue is presented (in case its worth the condition loss to finish crafting, for example).

Personally, I'm more for the character being woken up without a choice. I think its more realistic - if you were actually dying of thirst, how much restful sleep would you really be getting?

Nope you won't wake up when you get dehydrated, or hungry, or cold. In fact you'll likely fall into a deeper sleep.

Not sure where you get this behavior from? There would be a lot more death from dehydration if that was how the human body actually worked. (Not as sure about hunger/cold, but then that wasn't part of my suggestion..)

Obviously if you weren't thirsty when you went to bed, and if your body somehow got super dehydrated from 10 hours of sleep (like it does in this game), then your body would signal to you to get some water before you died in your sleep.

Hell, I get up in the middle of the night for a glass of water all the time, and I'm definitely not dying of thirst.

The way around this is to sleep no more than 4 or 5 hours at time, eat, drink, then go back to sleep. That's no different than waking up for a drink of water IRL. Same with crafting, 4 hours max. Foraging wood and harvesting meat also tells you how much time it will take for the quantity chosen, so use that to keep from getting too cold, hungry, or whatever.

I get that from reality :)

The vast number of folks wake up not because they are thirsty, but because they are rested (that is the real mechanic that needs to be fixed you should be able to sleep for days at a time).

The reason 10 hours is about the limit for sleeping before dehydration starts is a game mechanic reason. It also reflects that you are in very cold and therefore very low humidity air. You dehydrate pretty quickly in that environment.

Archived