Bear traps

charkie23

I think bear traps should be added. A large trap that can either kill or badly damage wolves, deers, bears and maybe mooses. It should be rare and non craftable so that it isn't too overpowered. Maybe spawn somewhere like hunting stands, the trapper's cabin, maybe the camp office etc. However the bear trap could also be a danger to yourself if you are not careful and step on it. It would deal damage and you would get stuck in it, you could either open it by hand, or with a crowbar to do it more efficiently. It could be placed in places like bear dens, or common places where wolves and deers go. Maybe rabbits could sometimes get caught by it and you would have to reset the trap.

So I think it would be balanced since it would be rare and you could get stuck in it but it would be powerful for hunting other animals.

I recommend the search function, as there has been a lot of good discussion on this topic in previous threads over the years.

For example: a couple of years ago I mentioned something along these lines, and it opened a whole can of worms.  :D
Folks started getting into hunting ethics and folks started getting disrespectful to each other... it just started to turn into a little bit of an ugly mess.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

On 12/5/2018 at 11:25 PM, ManicManiac said:

Look, when I originally jotted down that particular thought... I was thinking about the Trapper's homestead, and thinking about it from this perspective:
A trapper... a person who basically trades in pelts for a living, would likely have all kinds of traps and snares to aid with their livelihood.  This would probably have included steel traps.  I was not attempting to start a discussion on ethical use of old fashion trapping methods... I was just positing that an old trapper would likely have had some... that's all.

[Addendum]
Since those days, I've become much more thoughtful about my perspectives on this game.  :)
Which I know annoys some folks, because I rarely agree with many of the ideas they have.

It seems to me that Hinterland likely considered this years ago... and very likely made the choice not to include it; so I'm fine with that.
Considering what we have to work with for survival... steel traps really aren't at all necessary.

Edited by ManicManiac

Bear trap is, I think, a good idea. This will make this game to a bit more easier direction and would hurt the balance, so I'm not sure if such idea is welcomed by HL and Raph. I know you already also mentioned your idea from the balance perspective, like rare and non-craftable, but I think that would not enough... I mean, if you are well experienced TLD player, bears in TLD are not that terribly difficult wild life to hunt down. There's not much motivation to rely on bear trap... 

I think, if TLD introduces more formidable and dangerous predators, like polar bear, Grizzly bear, and big cat.... that would give some justifying reason behind the idea of bear trap. But even than, mechanism and resource for bear trap should be carefully designed, not to make this game too easy. 

Maybe, it would be good to assume that crafted bear trap is too weak and coarse when compared to factory-made products, so that it cannot properly trap/kill the "big animals". Instead, it could be possible to assume that the hand-made bear trap only hurt but annoy these "big" animals. Then it could balance something... 

Now, I understand why hinterland isnt probably going to add bear traps, but maybe having it more as a threat to the player instead of having it as a useful tool will balance it a little bit. 

It would Be a good idea of finding already deployed bear traps from the wilderness. Just left there by a hunter, for an animal to walk on, but may aswell give you a hidious and unexpected side effect to an unlucky step

The traps are hidden well under the layers of snow, hard to notice, but still exposed to The player eye enough, to Be seen. And if you keep your eyes open and don't step on one, you can disarm the trap and the sharp suprise is now for something Else than you.

Also they should be pretty weak and may be broken down with a small amount of uses, as they have Been rusting under The snow. And also they can't Be repaired

13 hours ago, Boneviolin said:

Now, I understand why hinterland isnt probably going to add bear traps, but maybe having it more as a threat to the player instead of having it as a useful tool will balance it a little bit. 

It would Be a good idea of finding already deployed bear traps from the wilderness. Just left there by a hunter, for an animal to walk on, but may aswell give you a hidious and unexpected side effect to an unlucky step

The traps are hidden well under the layers of snow, hard to notice, but still exposed to The player eye enough, to Be seen. And if you keep your eyes open and don't step on one, you can disarm the trap and the sharp suprise is now for something Else than you.

Also they should be pretty weak and may be broken down with a small amount of uses, as they have Been rusting under The snow. And also they can't Be repaired

Yeah I guess it's a good Idea to have a small amount of uses it should also spawn in specific locations if it's activated because it would be kind of unfair to just walk on one in the middle of the road however if you are in a forest near a hunting spot there could be one so you would have to think about being careful with that.