Making a case for a jump mechanic that may appeal to Hinterland?

Gun Tech.

12 minutes ago, oplli said:

They are absolutely giving content for free.

I will forever disagree with that. But at least CEOs will like your way of thinking.

Once they finish the game, and if the game is complete and well made, I am fine if they want to make expansions to the game. Just to clarify my dislike of paradox's DLC style is that the game they release for full price is a hollow shell. They carve up what should have been the full game into 50 pieces which all cost 20 dollars. I will never buy skylines or their new vampire game(which might just end up being terrible anyways) because of this. Not unless they package it all up and (because it's on steam) sell it for 7.50 or less. Or they can release DRM free and I will pay more, which they won't. It works for them though because they can get more money from fewer people.

41 minutes ago, odizzido said:

Once they finish the game, and if the game is complete and well made, I am fine if they want to make expansions to the game. Just to clarify my dislike of paradox's DLC style is that the game they release for full price is a hollow shell. They carve up what should have been the full game into 50 pieces which all cost 20 dollars. I will never buy skylines or their new vampire game(which might just end up being terrible anyways) because of this. Not unless they package it all up and (because it's on steam) sell it for 7.50 or less. Or they can release DRM free and I will pay more, which they won't. It works for them though because they can get more money from fewer people.

What does it have to do with the long dark?

The long dark is extremely cheap for its level of replayability and i will for shure encourage the devs as soon as they release a dlc or anothr game. The only game i played more than that is minecraft and i payed it 30$ i would buy a dlc too from them. the investment is soo worth it :) 

Edited by oplli

2 hours ago, oplli said:

i dont understand why you hate it it keeps the game you like alive and i am shure if you are here on this forum is beacause you liek the game.

I was responding to this. I don't hate DLC in all cases and I was saying why I dislike paradox's way of doing it as an example. I usually don't buy games with DLC until they finish working on the game and release it all as a single package though. TLD was an exception in my wait until it's done thing though as I wanted to help fund development. I will occasionally do that for games that seem like they might be worth doing so for.

On 10/27/2020 at 10:25 PM, oplli said:

They are absolutely giving content for free. Yes they make money but their expansion is limited by the cost of the development wich is big. 

I have spent 800 hours playing this game... i only paid it 20$ it is NOTHING of a risk :D

Dont really wanna discuss semantics, but that is not free.

I would say this: They are selling a baseline game, and they are including free new content for the players who already own the game.

As in, they dont give out new content in the form of DLCs or timed subscription. They do not work for free, they give you new content for free with the base game.

On 10/27/2020 at 11:28 PM, oplli said:

What does it have to do with the long dark?

The long dark is extremely cheap for its level of replayability and i will for shure encourage the devs as soon as they release a dlc or anothr game. The only game i played more than that is minecraft and i payed it 30$ i would buy a dlc too from them. the investment is soo worth it

This I would 100% agree with. As someone who got the game for maybe 10 USD way back in Alpha, I feel like I have gotten a game I would easily pay 70 USD for right now if I did not have it and it was on Steam. I might just buy the OST on steam to support Hinterland. Or order something from their shop with souvenirs.

In response to Opllis comment that the Hinterland are giving free content out.

On 10/27/2020 at 10:47 PM, odizzido said:

I will forever disagree with that. But at least CEOs will like your way of thinking.

Oplli is not wrong. They are giving content out for free (in a way). The game is not for free, but the updates are. If you have at any point paid for an update, I would contant Hinterland immidiately, as they have never charged any extra money for their update of the base game.

I think we should not discuss this anymore though. Or at least not on this thread - it feels that we deviated from the main topic which is jumping.

I was thinking more about the jumping in The long dark. The "vault over obstacle" suggested earlier would not work in my opinion, since you often has several ways and directions from which to vault over an place. I just dont see how it would be implemented without being extremely buggy.

I dont think lifting a foot and placing it a bit forward is not something I would consider a jump. Sounds like you are describing a type of vaulting. If this is what you meant by jumping, then I will go back to my original response and say that I am not against it. It does bring some utility. But, in the end, I dont believe it is worth the trouble it would take to implement it. But that is just my opinion.

Edited by Mroz4k
  • Upvote 1

On 10/23/2020 at 5:53 AM, Robbiieeee said:

I think rather than a manual jump mechanic, the option to find jump positions would be better. For example on broken railroads you can find the option to 'press space to jump across'. Just for fun, your weight and energy play a factor. If your player feels it is too dangerous you'll get a hud notificiation and a dialogue telling you so 

This is how I think it should work. While I don't think adding a jump key, as in a shooter, would add anything to the game, I'm more on board with some kind of vaulting or set place one can jump. 

For instance, all the rocks where you can tie off a rope to climb look the same. This is because seeing that very specific rock is a cue to the player that says " Hey, you can tie a rope to me". Obviously it would be difficult to come up with a system where you could tie a rope off just anywhere, so it is made so that when you see the cue, you know you can climb in that area. Same thing with the vines at the beginning of story mode. The vines are your cue that you can perform a certain action here that you cannot elsewhere.

Jumping could be the same sort of mechanic. Perhaps there is a very specific patch of ground or something near a wall or a ravine or whatever that can be a cue to the player that says " Jump from me ". Upon walking in this area you would hit a key to vault over or jump up on something. Imagine if in the Ravine you didn't just have to watch your step, but you would have to jump over a section of missing track on that bridge. Perhaps if your stamina is low, there is a chance you could sprain an ankle or, God forbid, miss your jump and fall.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Grignard_TN said:

Jumping could be the same sort of mechanic. Perhaps there is a very specific patch of ground or something near a wall or a ravine or whatever that can be a cue to the player that says " Jump from me ". Upon walking in this area you would hit a key to vault over or jump up on something. Imagine if in the Ravine you didn't just have to watch your step, but you would have to jump over a section of missing track on that bridge. Perhaps if your stamina is low, there is a chance you could sprain an ankle or, God forbid, miss your jump and fall.

I like. I've thought about it a lot. The only thing I think. You don't need to select an area. Just a fence.

Yes having visual cues to tell you what you can and cannot do is common and good game design. For example in new tomb raider 1 there are those different rocks which you can use the picks on so you know where you can go and where you cannot. In stalker hills that are too steep to climb are a little darker.

In TLD there is no indication what hills are too steep. There is that one type of wall that is climbable though and that is easy to see, so we are not guessing there at least.

What sucks to me is that this game is very inconsistent. You can climb that 3m wall but can't step over a twig being the example for this thread. If we're a robot on wheels that's fine but just keep it the same so we know what's going on.

16 hours ago, odizzido said:

What sucks to me is that this game is very inconsistent. You can climb that 3m wall but can't step over a twig being the example for this thread

Then why do you go in those branches if you know you cannot go over them? in real life you would be stopepd by branches too, just skip them.

38 minutes ago, oplli said:

Then why do you go in those branches if you know you cannot go over them? in real life you would be stopepd by branches too, just skip them.

Not to the level they do in this game. It's not just twigs, it's little bits of snow, hills that are slightly too steep, rocks that are too close together, little boards or pipes or other debris, etc. I think my biggest problem is that the character in this game is significantly less capable than myself and with no clear indication of where I can and cannot go I often find myself trying something and doubling back while thinking how easy getting around that obstacle would be in real life.

I think some of the problem may be that sometimes I can get over higher obstacles and sometimes I cannot. If I could never get over stuff higher than 2cm then I wouldn't try but it's just a roll of the dice for me. I dislike that.

1 hour ago, odizzido said:

Not to the level they do in this game. It's not just twigs, it's little bits of snow, hills that are slightly too steep, rocks that are too close together, little boards or pipes or other debris, etc. I think my biggest problem is that the character in this game is significantly less capable than myself and with no clear indication of where I can and cannot go I often find myself trying something and doubling back while thinking how easy getting around that obstacle would be in real life.

I think some of the problem may be that sometimes I can get over higher obstacles and sometimes I cannot. If I could never get over stuff higher than 2cm then I wouldn't try but it's just a roll of the dice for me. I dislike that.

Well i never had your problem...

5 hours ago, oplli said:

Well i never had your problem...

I remember very well how I stumbled on the bridge in the Raven falls.Ended up on a sleeper and couldn't get back on the track to continue on his way. The height is really no more than 10 cm. It was a shame. 

But such situations are very rare. I already know the size of the character well and intuitively know where it can pass and where it can't. 

The only thing I would really like to see. So this is an opportunity to go over the fence. Let there be a 40% chance of tearing your pants. But sometimes damaged pants are the lesser evil.

• Upvote 1