Gun Tech.

Making a case for a jump mechanic that may appeal to Hinterland?

I jump reasonably often. A number of times this year, but I didn't go out as much. But I live in an area that benefits from it. Also if I couldn't lift my legs you can bet I would be jumping far more often. Stairs, door lips, etc

On 10/17/2020 at 11:17 PM, OdaSamurai said:

Maybe you can't, but you sure can vault over a fence, or over a tree trunk

No to JUMPING, yes.

i agree but by doing that you are almost certain to fell off so i agree with you, it is worth it to vault over a fence for a possible chance to sprain you ankle or just have a funny animation where you fall :) 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, oplli said:

i agree but by doing that you are almost certain to fell off so i agree with you, it is worth it to vault over a fence for a possible chance to sprain you ankle or just have a funny animation where you fall :) 

That's actually a great improvement I didn't think of

Edited by OdaSamurai
  • Upvote 1

Hello!

As most mentioned here, jumping is problematic. While I dont think its impossible to jump in a full gear (I mean, Im pretty sure soldiers do it, might not  be a long jump but sometimes it is neccesary, even during hiking to pass some obstacles) there are also mechanical issues to be considered. (although, jumping in snow is generally pretty difficult)

First of the mechanical issues I havent seen anyone mention is when you are being pursued or stalked by an animal. When the predator is after you, and you reach a certain area where they cannot reach you, they instantly switch to "flee" mode (only exception are timberwolves). So, in itself, if you jump and arent considered to be "on the ground, reachable" that would in theory reset pursue. And, even if it didnt, simply using the jump to get into areas that are not accessible by animals would. This would make hunting significantly less risky.

Then there is the matter of possibly using jump to travel faster, avoid areas where you would need to make a huge detour othervise, and so on - but I think these could be fixed if jumping make you tired much faster and sapped your other resources like hunger and thirst faster.

That said, I really agree with some of the people here about vaulting. If this allowed to traverse some obstacles like small piles of snow, fences burried almost entirely in snow, branches and logs... you name it. It would make sense, and I agree with @oplli on the fact that it should carry a significant risk of spraining an ankle and also should not be possible with a sprained ankle. The amount of gear should also increase the risk of spraining an ankle, and at certain weight (10kg over non-overencumbered state, so 40kg-50kg) it shouldnt be possible. It would also take about 15% of your current stamina bar. 

It would be invaluable if you want to make a shortcut in some areas and to be able to get yourself out of some trap areas as there are still quite a few of those left in the world, the map is not perfect.

I am all for the ability to vault. I see a lot of benefits to it as a mechanic.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

First of the mechanical issues I havent seen anyone mention is when you are being pursued or stalked by an animal. When the predator is after you, and you reach a certain area where they cannot reach you, they instantly switch to "flee" mode (only exception are timberwolves). So, in itself, if you jump and arent considered to be "on the ground, reachable" that would in theory reset pursue. And, even if it didnt, simply using the jump to get into areas that are not accessible by animals would. This would make hunting significantly less risky.

i think the whole fight and stalk system is for now broken and need to be tweaked. it is way to easy to escape a wolf encounter (bears a fine) so i hope Hinterland will fix that. if it will be fixed i think that vaulting over a fence would be okay to avoid a wolf encounter but if you only vault over a car hood the wolf shouldn't flee. it makes no sense beacause he can access you after you vaulted. i hope it will be fixed.  

I think rather than a manual jump mechanic, the option to find jump positions would be better. For example on broken railroads you can find the option to 'press space to jump across'. Just for fun, your weight and energy play a factor. If your player feels it is too dangerous you'll get a hud notificiation and a dialogue telling you so 

• Upvote 1