Paint Can v2

nicko

Yeah. A couple days ago I tried using paint for navigating indoors in the dark, but it was too dark and I couldn't see it. Really what we need is the inside to be lighter if it's light outside. Assuming there are windows of course. Currently there is a big disconnect between houses and the outside world. It's just weird.

• 3 weeks later...

I think spray cans are already purely a player convenience (one of the reasons I just don't use them), but I think that glowing in the dark all the time, or through the night, as well as inside of caves and structures (even without being exposed to light in the first place)... would kind of seem just silly on it's face.

Glow in the dark paint doesn't usually last for all that long.  Generally speaking, most "glow in the dark" paints only "glow" for 1-3 hours (and that's if they have been exposed to a light source for long enough beforehand), so given the time scale of the game that would be only 5-15 minutes in "real time."

The only kind of "paint" that perpetually glows would be Radioluminescent paints... which as the name suggests, contain a radiactive isopte (making them a radiological hazard).  So, no thanks... I'd tend to doubt that there would just cans of radioluminescent paint being so common that you'd just find them laying around all over an apparently desiccated old mining/logging community.  

I think it's just as easy to simply use a light source :D
(which I think is better than asking the developer to change the game, just for another player convenience)

:coffee::fire:
Personally, I think the idea of glow in the dark spray paint in the context of this game... is just another one of those ideas that would only serve to make the game even easier for the player.
  Generally speaking, I'm rarely ever in favor of things that exist just to make life easier for the player.

Edited by ManicManiac

... I mean, out in rural areas (that is to say where there are no street lights) houses do get very dark at night (and caves are almost always dark unless you're near the mouth during daylight).  It's not like the city, where there is constant luminosity coming in the windows from street lights outside.  As a person who used to live in the country, there were plenty of times as a kid I had to feel around in the dark when the power was out.

Yes, outside in the moonlight can be pretty bright... but the house doesn't have the same level of exposure inside of it as the outside does.  :D

I don't think that the light levels in structures at night or in caves is really that much of a problem... and I don't think there is anything for Hinterland to "fix."

I still think it's pretty easy to simply use a light source :D
(which I think is better than asking the developer to change the game just for the sake of player convenience)

Edited by ManicManiac
Editied for clarification

The only goal I have with spray paint is to paint sleeping bear.

I do agree, there is dark inside. Sometime even during day. But when you check those small windows, you can see why.

If you imagine the luminescent paint would glow like the one in music club... These are  activated by continuous UV light.

• Like 1

Yes, I've often thought that it can be too bright outside during the night....much too bright. I wouldn't mind them changing that I am pretty sure. What I don't like is the disconnect between the two areas.

The other thing to mention is that in TLD we cannot feel our way through the dark like we can in real life. Maybe if there were a kinda ghostly illumination of objects very close to us to simulate touch that would help a lot.

I might care more about it being so dark inside because I turn off fish so I cannot make lamp oil.

Edited by odizzido

Right on, it is just a game - and there is no need for it to be hyper-realistic.  Fair point. :)

I am just strongly against glow in the dark paint... because I think it would just encourage lazy habits and makes things too easy for the player (especially because one could use it as a cheap/lazy tactic for navigating caves and houses in the dark...).

I think it's better to need (and have to wisely manage) our light sources.

...the more I think about this topic... the more I really hate  the idea of glow in the dark spray paint.

Edited by ManicManiac

well lets say the paint is rare. it dosent change a lot if you get some glow in the darn in your cave... since we are able to easily get unlimited toches out of the fire the light source is no longer a problem as long as you have wood. 

it just means that it would be nicer to have some viby glow in the dark paint to navigate inside our main base/caves etc. i dont think it would make the life easier at all as you only need to make a fire to get a lot of torches quickly. and it adds something to do, an activity... :)