Admin

The Long Dark TEST BRANCH

Well, trying to use the "-force-vulkan" command option causes the game to punch out on IPL. 

I'd be happy to try any kind of test builds or anything like that to help fix this issue in the linux version if that's viewed as a possibility during this test cycle.

I was able to complete the challenge. (Hopeless Rescue)
There was no problem in saving and loading.

I know I am probably one of the very few running on Mac, but I did test it out.  I definitely came across some issues that made the game unplayable from the beginning.  The start up was fine with the intro video to the main menu, however, once I got to the main menu, that is when it was unplayable.  It seemed anything that had movement was messed up.  Upon going into Wintermute, the still images came through okay, but again, anything that had movement was messed up.  The opening movie for Wintermute looked fine and normal, gameplay was unplayable.  The pause screen was messed up and looked different.   The really was no difference between Wintermute and Survival as far as the visuals and the ability to play.

I can revert to back out of the test branch and everything functions and looks normal. 

iMac 27" 2017

Mac OS: Catalina ver. 10.15.6

Processor: 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Memory: 64Gb 2400 Mhz DDR4

Graphics: Radeon Pro 580 8Gb

Main Screen.jpg

Main Screen Choices.jpg

Wintermute Episode Menu.jpg

Wintermute Opening.jpg

Wintermute Gameplay.jpg

Wintermute Pause Screen.jpg

Survival Gameplay.jpg

Survival Pause Screen.jpg

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Plankeye101 said:

I know I am probably one of the very few running on Mac, but I did test it out.  I definitely came across some issues that made the game unplayable from the beginning.  The start up was fine with the intro video to the main menu, however, once I got to the main menu, that is when it was unplayable.  It seemed anything that had movement was messed up.  Upon going into Wintermute, the still images came through okay, but again, anything that had movement was messed up.  The opening movie for Wintermute looked fine and normal, gameplay was unplayable.  The pause screen was messed up and looked different.   The really was no difference between Wintermute and Survival as far as the visuals and the ability to play.

I can revert to back out of the test branch and everything functions and looks normal. 

iMac 27" 2017

Mac OS: Catalina ver. 10.15.6

Processor: 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Memory: 64Gb 2400 Mhz DDR4

Graphics: Radeon Pro 580 8Gb

Main Screen.jpg

Main Screen Choices.jpg

Wintermute Episode Menu.jpg

Wintermute Opening.jpg

Wintermute Gameplay.jpg

Wintermute Pause Screen.jpg

Survival Gameplay.jpg

Survival Pause Screen.jpg

Looks like they have a lot of work to do on Mac....

Interesting. I've been playing the test branch on my MacBook Pro (with Intel graphics, Catalina) with no problems. I did have one incident of some spurious artifacts, but I haven't been able to reproduce it.

I do get about 1.5 x frame rate than I do on the non-test branch, which is good.

@Plankeye101 I know it sucks one can not play the game. But those screenshots. IMHO it is like an art.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

@Plankeye101 please file a report at thelongdark.com/support and include those screenshots. We've flagged this with the team, but there may be some more follow-up questions they have and filing a bug report will allow them to speak with you directly.

Just to confirm you'd not seen this before on the regular release of The Long Dark?

• Upvote 1

@Admin, correct, I have not had that issue before on the regular release.  I also reloaded the regular release to make sure that it still functioned and looked normal like it should.

On 9/9/2020 at 5:57 PM, Plankeye101 said:

@Admin, correct, I have not had that issue before on the regular release.  I also reloaded the regular release to make sure that it still functioned and looked normal like it should.

Thanks for confirming. Please ensure you file a bug with thelongdark.com/support so that they can look into it. The Support Team will likely find getting your Logs or other information helpful on this. We have a number of Macs in use within the Dev team and nobody has seen this as of yet.

I don't know if this is specific to the test branch or not, but I did notice the ground here in Will's house house is playing the noise for walking on snow instead of what I'm assuming is concrete. This is after you get the object "your tired. take a nap" and before I actually take said nap

Edit: When I walk over the carpet, you can hear a wood board squeak, so theirs that

Edited by CallMeEthan

Hi, I played in survival mode about 1 or 2h with test build 1.84T 6555685S on Windows 10, NVidia RTX2080, latest version of OS and drivers. I came across the following issues:

• I was currently wearing a "new thermal underwear" (as it appeared in description)  however in the cloth slot it appeared as worn (black stains) 
  • I dropped 7 books on the floor and their textures were glitching/clipping (fast alternate of texture, maybe a depth issue)
  • Among the places I visited (maybe 10 or so), in terms of clothing I was getting tee-shirts most of the time. Maybe that's just because of bad luck, maybe not... I was playing in Stalker mode. Also I had very few clothing items, fewer than I remember having when playing earlier in the same difficulty mode. Maybe this is not significant and part of the gameplay adjustments of the last update.

Edited by yoli

I just signed up to point out that I had the same experience with the test branch in macOS as @Plankeye101

should I also file a report or is the one sufficient?

happy to help if I can

should I also file a report or is the one sufficient?

Obviously I can't speak for Hinterland, but in general it is a good idea to file a bug report even if you think that somebody else had already posted the same issue. 

• it could be that during investigation it turns out not to be the exact same issue
  • looking at several reports usually helps to identify the root cause more quickly 
  • (I know that TLD players seem to be a lot more loyal, so I don't think this is an issue here, but) in general it is a good idea to not assume that a report has already been filed.