The Long Dark TEST BRANCH

Admin

I know I am probably one of the very few running on Mac, but I did test it out.  I definitely came across some issues that made the game unplayable from the beginning.  The start up was fine with the intro video to the main menu, however, once I got to the main menu, that is when it was unplayable.  It seemed anything that had movement was messed up.  Upon going into Wintermute, the still images came through okay, but again, anything that had movement was messed up.  The opening movie for Wintermute looked fine and normal, gameplay was unplayable.  The pause screen was messed up and looked different.   The really was no difference between Wintermute and Survival as far as the visuals and the ability to play.

I can revert to back out of the test branch and everything functions and looks normal. 

iMac 27" 2017

Mac OS: Catalina ver. 10.15.6

Processor: 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Memory: 64Gb 2400 Mhz DDR4

Graphics: Radeon Pro 580 8Gb

Main Screen.jpg

Main Screen Choices.jpg

Wintermute Episode Menu.jpg

Wintermute Opening.jpg

Wintermute Gameplay.jpg

Wintermute Pause Screen.jpg

Survival Gameplay.jpg

Survival Pause Screen.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Plankeye101 said:

I know I am probably one of the very few running on Mac, but I did test it out.  I definitely came across some issues that made the game unplayable from the beginning.  The start up was fine with the intro video to the main menu, however, once I got to the main menu, that is when it was unplayable.  It seemed anything that had movement was messed up.  Upon going into Wintermute, the still images came through okay, but again, anything that had movement was messed up.  The opening movie for Wintermute looked fine and normal, gameplay was unplayable.  The pause screen was messed up and looked different.   The really was no difference between Wintermute and Survival as far as the visuals and the ability to play.

I can revert to back out of the test branch and everything functions and looks normal. 

iMac 27" 2017

Mac OS: Catalina ver. 10.15.6

Processor: 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Memory: 64Gb 2400 Mhz DDR4

Graphics: Radeon Pro 580 8Gb

Main Screen.jpg

Main Screen Choices.jpg

Wintermute Episode Menu.jpg

Wintermute Opening.jpg

Wintermute Gameplay.jpg

Wintermute Pause Screen.jpg

Survival Gameplay.jpg

Survival Pause Screen.jpg

Looks like they have a lot of work to do on Mac....

• Like 1

Interesting. I've been playing the test branch on my MacBook Pro (with Intel graphics, Catalina) with no problems. I did have one incident of some spurious artifacts, but I haven't been able to reproduce it.

I do get about 1.5 x frame rate than I do on the non-test branch, which is good.

@Plankeye101 please file a report at thelongdark.com/support and include those screenshots. We've flagged this with the team, but there may be some more follow-up questions they have and filing a bug report will allow them to speak with you directly.

Just to confirm you'd not seen this before on the regular release of The Long Dark?

• Upvote 1

On 9/9/2020 at 5:57 PM, Plankeye101 said:

@Admin, correct, I have not had that issue before on the regular release.  I also reloaded the regular release to make sure that it still functioned and looked normal like it should.

Thanks for confirming. Please ensure you file a bug with thelongdark.com/support so that they can look into it. The Support Team will likely find getting your Logs or other information helpful on this. We have a number of Macs in use within the Dev team and nobody has seen this as of yet.

I don't know if this is specific to the test branch or not, but I did notice the ground here in Will's house house is playing the noise for walking on snow instead of what I'm assuming is concrete. This is after you get the object "your tired. take a nap" and before I actually take said nap

Edit: When I walk over the carpet, you can hear a wood board squeak, so theirs that

Edited by CallMeEthan

Hi, I played in survival mode about 1 or 2h with test build 1.84T 6555685S on Windows 10, NVidia RTX2080, latest version of OS and drivers. I came across the following issues:

• I was currently wearing a "new thermal underwear" (as it appeared in description)  however in the cloth slot it appeared as worn (black stains) 
  • I dropped 7 books on the floor and their textures were glitching/clipping (fast alternate of texture, maybe a depth issue)
  • Among the places I visited (maybe 10 or so), in terms of clothing I was getting tee-shirts most of the time. Maybe that's just because of bad luck, maybe not... I was playing in Stalker mode. Also I had very few clothing items, fewer than I remember having when playing earlier in the same difficulty mode. Maybe this is not significant and part of the gameplay adjustments of the last update.

Edited by yoli

should I also file a report or is the one sufficient?

Obviously I can't speak for Hinterland, but in general it is a good idea to file a bug report even if you think that somebody else had already posted the same issue. 

• it could be that during investigation it turns out not to be the exact same issue
  • looking at several reports usually helps to identify the root cause more quickly 
  • (I know that TLD players seem to be a lot more loyal, so I don't think this is an issue here, but) in general it is a good idea to not assume that a report has already been filed.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, stmSantana said:

(Winter Mute) After cooking tea in a can or pot, it is displayed as COLD instead of HOT along with the remaining time until it burns.

cold.png.3c1d78004809b24eeb0dd5e48c696f5e.png

I have noticed this in the current release version (Build 1.83 64569 S) on Steam as well (in survival mode).

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2020 at 10:21 AM, ajb1978 said:

Can confirm, i had the same problem last night.  I had a pile of sticks on the ground inside the Spence barn, and clicking on the pile did nothing.  If I clicked off center, like on the edge of the pile with the white cursor pointed at the ground, I could pick up sticks.

Yes, I'm having lots of issues with "hitboxes" for selecting things on the ground. For example, I have a pile of 20 or so reclaimed wood on the floor in the Camp Office (ML) that I dropped all at once, and it only triggers on the outskirts of the ends. In some spots I can get almost 1/4 of the length away and still pick it up, but can't in the middle (I still see the white dot though).

I'm noticing it more on corpses, since they tend to be much larger. I almost was unable to pick up a snared rabbit that seemed to be on rather flat snow as well. Had to dance all around it to find the sweet spot. I'm working on doing a little video to submit.

Edited by Asinine
Forgot some info
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Asinine said:

Yes, I'm having lots of issues with "hitboxes" for selecting things on the ground. For example, I have a pile of 20 or so reclaimed wood on the floor in the Camp Office (ML) that I dropped all at once, and it only triggers on the outskirts of the ends. In some spots I can get almost 1/4 of the length away and still pick it up, but can't in the middle (I still see the white dot though).

I'm noticing it more on corpses, since they tend to be much larger. I almost was unable to pick up a snared rabbit that seemed to be on rather flat snow as well. Had to dance all around it to find the sweet spot. I'm working on doing a little video to submit.

Yes i have also noticed this with any drop items, food, wood etc.  seems hard to pick up items.

• Upvote 2

On 10/6/2020 at 7:48 PM, nicko said:

Yes i have also noticed this with any drop items, food, wood etc.  seems hard to pick up items.

I've just noticed the first real issue related to this.

I haven't been bothering stoning rabbits, but I just did... and I couldn't pick it up in time because I barely mouseovered the hitbox just as it recovered. >_<

Over 940 hours of normal play and this is what I noticed:

1) When I died, the game would not end and I had to force a stop.  Just a blank gray screen.

2) Wolves move away without attacking when pointing a gun.  Never seen this before except when holding a flare and then switching to a gun.

3) The background seemed washed-out and not as sharp

4) A wolf was dead that I had not shot and it just said frozen.  Didn't say %

5) Chopped a chair in the kitchen of the main building in Milton and the cloth that was hanging on the back disappeared

6) When attacked by a wolf, received many more sprains, blood losses and infections than normal

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2020 at 5:21 PM, ajb1978 said:

Can confirm, i had the same problem last night.  I had a pile of sticks on the ground inside the Spence barn, and clicking on the pile did nothing.  If I clicked off center, like on the edge of the pile with the white cursor pointed at the ground, I could pick up sticks.

I haven't tried the test branch at all. But this just happened to me in their latest update which was V1.87 [68142] hot fix for EtD. I play on Win 10x64 Steam but on a MacBook Pro 2015 hardware. (I boot into Win 10 using an external drive). 

In Paradise Meadows Farm in Mountain Town, I had a ton of meat that I wanted to cook on the 6 plate stove. I had dropped all the meat on the floor in a heap and when I tried to pick them up, I had to place the pointer on the outside of the pile to select them. Moving the white pointer to the centre of the pile did nothing. I didn't think much of it but looking at how many people seem to have this problem in the test branch, makes me think this glitch probably exists in the main branch too. 

I'll see if I can reproduce this and post a screenshot. 

I just noticed there is a separate thread discussing this specific glitch. 

Edited by StillNomad
noticed there is a separate thread for this.

• Admin unpinned and unfeatured this topic
  • Admin locked this topic