Windows: Is it safe?

Patriot

So...I am fairly certain that when you enter a building the outside world sort of ceases to exist. I'm no programmer so I don't know what that may be called. But assuming that is the case maybe the devs can consider this possibility. Take the boards off the windows and let us see outside. If I'm using this word right you could make an "instance" around the house and show things like the weather outside if there are deer, a bear, or wolves nearby. It wouldn't need to show what is literally outside, but since I believe there is a system in the background tracking the positions of animals and I know there's a system tracking the weather the instance beyond the window should be able to at least simulate to a degree what's going on. It would be nice to look out the windows.

• Upvote 2

So yeah, that's what I was figuring. Which, at least for a few of the mainly used homes, you could expand the house house map to have a short distance outdoors and simulate what's happening on the actual map outside your house. Or use the windows like TV screens, figuratively, and simulate what's happening outside, if there are three wolves then perhaps you'll see a wolf walking back and forth. Deer you might see a couple of deer grazing. Weather you see a default image of the water. Etc... I actually don't think it'll be a lot of work if you don't try to integrate the house map with the region map. Which is what I'm imagining you're thinking.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 5:50 AM, Patriot said:

So yeah, that's what I was figuring. Which, at least for a few of the mainly used homes, you could expand the house house map to have a short distance outdoors and simulate what's happening on the actual map outside your house. Or use the windows like TV screens, figuratively, and simulate what's happening outside, if there are three wolves then perhaps you'll see a wolf walking back and forth. Deer you might see a couple of deer grazing. Weather you see a default image of the water. Etc... I actually don't think it'll be a lot of work if you don't try to integrate the house map with the region map. Which is what I'm imagining you're thinking.

it would definitevly be apreciable maybe they could test it in one map first liek mystery lake. and by the way i dont know if it is for performance problems or size problems but id like not ot have a loading screen everytime i enter small buildings like houses or shops beacause they are not that big. it would really do a great thing to the immersion.

I have explained why this doesn't work, so here's the quote 

On 7/11/2020 at 4:31 PM, SpanishMoss said:

This would be pretty difficult to implement,  because how buildings work is that they are not actually in the location they are located at. Meaning if you phase through wall, there would be nothing there. The interiors are located in a different place, meaning you couldn't put a window that actually worked. Hence why none of the windows are see through.

• Like 1

:coffee::fire:

On 8/8/2019 at 1:47 AM, ManicManiac said:

I don't think it's that big of a chore to just go outside and look.  :D 

Apart from that, the team would have to weigh the difficulty of making the change against the value it would add to the game. 
Personally I don't really see this one detail adding much to the gameplay over all... especially considering how much work they would have to do to change it.

Remember, the world is already full of audible indicators.  Very bad weather (be it a blizzard or a really bad windstorm) we can hear from the "interior" of structures as well as caves.

If houses would be placed into maps, the object in the map would have to be much larger. For example the main office in the Mystery lake. It seems like small cabin from outside, but inside... it is like tent from Harry Potter.

For the original suggestion. It seems like peek from the window would have to be same like stepping from the door. All the calculation would have to be done. And it even should not save one from attack nor freezing.

I still don't think it's that big of a chore to just go outside and look.  :D

Besides, it's also not so unreasonable that those windows (on the Interior structures) to have frozen over... hence being translucent and not transparent (a.k.a. not useful for seeing outside).

:coffee::fire:
Look, I think it's much simpler for the player to simply take a peak outside... than it would be for a developer to have to program, integrate, balance, and bug test a feature that is solely a player convenience (that I think would not add any meaningful gameplay value at all).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1